Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Under-pressure Neil Lennon knows he must prove himself to new owners

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Neil Lennon accepts he is under increased pressure to lead Wanderers out of trouble now that new ownership is in place.

Promotion-chasing Burnley visit the Macron tomorrow in the first home game since Dean Holdsworth’s Sports Shield group took control.

And one of the biggest questions facing the incoming board is on the future of the manager, who has come in for increasing criticism from Bolton fans in recent weeks.

Lennon has faced major financial constraints and still feels survival is possible despite his side slipping seven points from safety in midweek.

But the Whites boss knows his neck is on the block, with no guarantees given so far that his own position is secure.

“I probably am proving myself again,” he told The Bolton News. “The situation we are in doesn’t help.

“You can get the sack at any time, you are assessed all the time.

“I still believe we can do it. We have got 13 big games and players to come back in.

“Can we do it? Yes. We are playing well enough. We just need that cutting edge a little bit when we are on top in games.”

Former owner Eddie Davies, who will shortly become a president of the club, said he would “vote for” Lennon to remain as manager.

Holdsworth, whose board is expected to be confirmed next week, has also indicated that he would not be making any immediate decisions.

The Bolton News understands that Lennon would be due a year’s salary – reported at £650,000 – if the club chose to change manager but that the figure decreases significantly in the event of relegation.

New owners Sports Shield may have to wait until next week for Football League approval, after which it is hoped the transfer embargo can be lifted quickly.

The loan window closes at the end of next month and the manager is keen to see new additions.

“The squad has been down to bare bones for a while,” he said. “Obviously the sooner it gets sorted the better from my point of view.”

Paul Rachubka will continue in goal tomorrow with Ben Amos out injured. Scans have also shown that Dorian Dervite has ligament damage, which will keep the defender out for at least a month.

Emile Heskey could return after a hip injury while Gary Madine is also expected back in the squad after being dropped for disciplinary reasons against Birmingham City.

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum