Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanderers defender Niall Maher completes hat-trick of Bury signings

+2
BoltonTillIDie
Sluffy
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

FORMER Bolton Wanderers defender Niall Maher completed a hat-trick of signings at Gigg Lane today.

The 20-year-old penned a one-year deal with Bury following his release from the Whites at the end of season.

The Shakers also announced the signings of former Bradford keeper Ben Williams and ex-Wolverhampton Wanderers midfielder Zeli Ismail.

Maher is a versatile defender who can play anywhere across the back line, although he only has 15 appearances in the Football League to his name – 10 of which came during a loan spell at Blackpool last year.

Williams' arrival on a two-year deal ends Bury's search to replace number one goalkeeper Rob Lainton, who was released at the end of last season.

The 33-year-old brings a wealth of experience to a position the Shakers have struggled to fill in recent years.

He made his name with Crewe and Colchester before switching to Bradford, but turned down the offer of a contract extension with the Bantams to link up with the Shakers.

Williams was in superb form last season, setting a new club record at Bradford with 25 clean sheets.

Attacking-midfielder Ismail has also signed a two-year deal with the Shakers after his contact with Wolves came to an end.

The 22-year-old has scored eight goals in 34 league starts for six different clubs.

All three players will link up with the Bury's first-team squad when they return for pre-season on Monday, when up to three more signings are expected to be announced.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/14579625.Wanderers_defender_Niall_Maher_completes_hat_trick_of_Bury_signings/

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wrong site Sluffy, you need to go to BuryNuts.co.uk Razz

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Just thought it was interesting to see what happened to TWO ex-Bolton players and the keeper our new manager had at the club he's just left.

I found it interesting anyway.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Maher was offered a 12 month deal but turned it down, so his own fault really

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wessy wrote:Maher was offered a 12 month deal but turned it down, so his own fault really
I don't know about that wessy. At his age he probably needs a longer deal and let's not forget just how much uncertainty there still is around BWFC and its future. Personally I think it's a shame he isn't playing for us, I thought he was pretty good and would be a useful player in League One. I think Bury might just have bagged themselves a genuine bargain here and he could wind up being worth quite a bit to them both on the pitch and in terms of later re-sale value.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wessy wrote:Maher was offered a 12 month deal but turned it down, so his own fault really
I don't know about that wessy. At his age he probably needs a longer deal and let's not forget just how much uncertainty there still is around BWFC and its future. Personally I think it's a shame he isn't playing for us, I thought he was pretty good and would be a useful player in League One. I think Bury might just have bagged themselves a genuine bargain here and he could wind up being worth quite a bit to them both on the pitch and in terms of later re-sale value.

He's shit.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Boggersbelief wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:

He's shit.
That's your opinion and of course you're entitled to it. I disagree but then again that's hardly a surprise is it? Very Happy

Personally I think he showed some real potential and could have been a very valuable asset to us next season. However time will tell who was right.

By the way, if you remember the bet about Ryan Giggs June ends on Thursday. If he's not a member of BWFC staff on Friday I'd like you to send 20 quid to Save The Children please. Just in case he DOES join us where would you like me to send the 20? You never did nominate your charity.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:

He's shit.
That's your opinion and of course you're entitled to it. I disagree but then again that's hardly a surprise is it? Very Happy

Personally I think he showed some real potential and could have been a very valuable asset to us next season. However time will tell who was right.

You said the same about Joe Riley.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Boggersbelief wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:

He's shit.

That I thought he was decent? Yes I did and I acknowledge I was wrong in that case. I wish I was omnipotent and could be right all the time but sadly I'm not. However, at this moment I stand by my opinion. I think Maher will turn out well and Bury have grabbed themselves a bargain. Assuming he gets a run in the first team there I think we'll know for sure by next summer.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:

He's shit.

That I thought he was decent? Yes I did and I acknowledge I was wrong in that case. I wish I was omnipotent and could be right all the time but sadly I'm not. However, at this moment I stand by my opinion. I think Maher will turn out well and Bury have grabbed themselves a bargain. Assuming he gets a run in the first team there I think we'll know for sure by next summer.
In fairness when Riley appeared on the scene he looked the real deal, I also thought we'd unearthed a gem as did most people at the time. 
Never really seemed to come back from his injuries.
I'm not as convinced about Maher though to be fair

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

What surprises me is that he played for us from the age of 8, was captain of our youth team played with Clough, Vela etc.

Had a bad injury that puts him back then when he finally breaks through shows potential and we need him, they let him go. Puzzling.

However they did offer him 12 months so he had the chance to work hard next year and win a longer contract but declined.Puzzling

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum