Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Six memorable opening day clashes

5 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Six memorable opening day clashes Empty Six memorable opening day clashes Wed Aug 03 2016, 16:41

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

With the start of the 2016/17 Sky Bet League One season and Wanderers' opening fixture against Sheffield United now just three days away, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] looks back over six memorable encounters from recent history on the very first day of the season.

2011/12: QPR 0-4 BOLTON WANDERERS

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Wanderers topped the pile after matchday one of the 2011/12 Premier League season following an emphatic victory at Loftus Road.

Gary Cahill opened the scoring with a sublime curling effort from distance just before the interval and Bolton were out of sight after an impressive second-half showing as a Danny Gabbidon own goal, Ivan Klasnic and Fabrice Muamba ensured the Trotters' best opening day result for a decade.

2006/07: BOLTON WANDERERS 2-0 TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

Two early goals from Wanderers ensured that they got their campaign off to the perfect start against Tottenham Hotspur at the Reebok Stadium a decade ago.

Kevin Davies had opened the scoring with just nine minutes gone as he rose above the Spurs defence to head home, while an impressive long range effort from Ivan Campo made sure of the victory just four minutes later.

2005/06: ASTON VILLA 2-2 BOLTON WANDERERS

There was early drama at Villa Park on the opening day of the Premier League season eleven years ago with all four goals in the clash being scored in the first nine minutes of the tie.

Kevin Phillips had drawn first blood with four minutes on the clock, only for quick-fire efforts from Kevin Davies and Ivan Campo to turn to game on its head before Steven Davis drew the hosts level moments later.

Wanderers even had a late Kevin Nolan effort ruled out for offside, but the shares were ultimately shared at the final whistle.

2004/05: BOLTON WANDERERS 4-1 CHARLTON

Bolton flew out of the traps at the start of the 2004/05 campaign, and found themselves two goals up after just 30 minutes of play against Alan Curbishley’s side.

Jay Jay Okocha was the star of the show, as he and Henrik Pedersen helped themselves to a brace-a-piece. The Nigerian’s thumping 30-yard free kick was the pick of the goals, whilst Kevin Lisbie did net a consolation for the Addicks.

2001/02: LEICESTER 0-5 BOLTON WANDERERS

Nobody saw this one coming. Back in the big time after a three-year exile from England’s top tier, Sam Allardyce’s men swept aside Leicester at Filbert Street.

Bolton were four up by half time after a brace from Kevin Nolan and goals from Michael Ricketts and Per Frandsen. A fifth came shortly after the interval, with Frandsen once again on target in front of 2,000 delirious away supporters.

1994/95: GRIMSBY TOWN 3-3 BOLTON WANDERERS

A season which eventually saw the Whites promoted to the top flight of English football in dramatic circumstances against Reading in the Play Off Final at Wembley Stadium, the opening day of 1994/95 also saw high drama with a flurry of goals between Wanderers and Grimsby.

A Clive Mendonca hat-trick was the highlight of the day for the Mariners and although Bolton were leading 2-1 at the break, a John McGinlay penalty and Mixu Paatelainen's brace wasn't enough to secure victory for the Burnden Park outfit.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Six memorable opening day clashes Empty Re: Six memorable opening day clashes Wed Aug 03 2016, 16:46

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

I was lucky enough to be one of the 2000 at the Leicester game. One of the best days I've ever had as a Bolton supporter.

3Six memorable opening day clashes Empty Re: Six memorable opening day clashes Wed Aug 03 2016, 16:47

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

the second one was my wedding day,i found out the score while i was making my speech  Very Happy

4Six memorable opening day clashes Empty Re: Six memorable opening day clashes Wed Aug 03 2016, 17:05

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

The Leicester game has to be the best. Nobody but nobody saw that one coming. I was on holiday when I heard the result and seriously thought that there must have been a mistake and they had got the score wrong.

5Six memorable opening day clashes Empty Re: Six memorable opening day clashes Wed Aug 03 2016, 22:00

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Our opening day clash against newly promoted Stoke in the 08/09 Season was a cracker. Tony Pulis had his first taste of the big time and we gave them a bloody nose.

6Six memorable opening day clashes Empty Re: Six memorable opening day clashes Wed Aug 03 2016, 22:18

Went to all them matches.

Been to some shit ones as well. Went to Loftus Road when Fulham were playing there. Went 1-0 up after about 4 minutes, Ricketts scored a penalty, ended up losing 4-1.

Okochas debut and he was shit.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum