Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What Parkinson Thought - Sheffield United

2 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Manager Phil Parkinson spoke to the club’s website following his side’s 1-0 victory over Sheffield United on the opening day of the 2016/17 Sky Bet League One season.

Jay Spearing's spectacular long-range volley was the difference for the Whites, who finished the game with ten men after Darren Pratley was stretchered off with Bolton having already made all three of their substitutions.

Reflecting on a maiden victory in his first competitive match in charge, Parkinson covered the following points when assessing the game after the final whistle... 

On Darren Pratley's injury…
Hopefully it is not too bad. We’ll have to wait and see. He felt a crack. He ran himself into the ground today for the team. 

He was up against John Fleck who can really dictate play, but I think he overpowered him. Fingers crossed he’ll be alright.

On starting the season with a win…
It’s always good to get the points on the board. We’re not going to get carried away but I’m pleased for the players because the effort they put in today and throughout pre-season has been rewarded.

When you’ve been part of a group that hasn’t won, you’ve got to learn as a group to win. There was a lot of resilience and it was a great goal to win it. 

We probably had the better chances in the second half to extend it, but 1-0 is a good indicator for me. When you’re 1-0 up, you have to show certain qualities and we showed them in abundance today.

On his side's hard-working display...
We wanted to make a statement in front of our home fans regarding our commitment levels and how we want to play. 

It’s about winning, rolling your sleeves up and working as a team. Those qualities were in place today and I’m so pleased. 

I felt we did that. We know there are things that we can get better at but the desire was firmly in place and that is what ultimately got us the win.

On Jay Spearing's performance…
Jay typifies the spirit we want to create. His whole body was cramping up at the end. It was a very good performance and he ran himself into the ground.

And the midfielder's match-winning goal…
It was a great goal. He also scored in pre-season and had another chance to shoot in the second half and passed it – I couldn’t believe that! 

On his side's defensive display…
Wheater is a little bit behind in terms of his preparation but I thought he was colossus today. 

When we were under a little bit of pressure in the first half, the blocks and clearances from him and Mark Beevers were excellent. 

That’s what they are paid for but they’ve earned their money today.

And finally, on Lewis Buxton's Wanderers debut...
Lewis Buxton had trained with us for two days having not trained for ten days, and we asked him to play. 

When I asked him if he was alright to play he said “Absolutely. Definitely.” 

It was a tough game for him today but he was really solid for us.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

"Darren Pratley felt a crack" is not a line you often read on the club's website.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum