Bolton Wanderers Fans Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Bolton Wanderers Banter » Official: Alex Finney leaves Bolton Wanderers

Official: Alex Finney leaves Bolton Wanderers

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Official: Alex Finney leaves Bolton Wanderers on Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:44 am

karlypants

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Alex Finney has left Bolton Wanderers after his contract was cancelled by mutual consent.

The young central defender joined the club from Leyton Orient in the summer of 2014 and would go on to make two senior appearances.

His last outing came during Tuesday evening’s EFL Cup extra time defeat away at Blackpool.

Everyone at Bolton Wanderers would like to wish Alex well in his future career.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
Who's stupid idea was this? Absolutely stupid decision, just send him on loan for Gods Sake!

WANDERERS have terminated the contract of defender Alex Finney – just three days after he appeared for the club against Blackpool in the EFL Cup.

The former Leyton Orient centre-half has been on the fringes of the first team squad for the last 12 months and appeared frequently under Phil Parkinson over the summer.

His start in the 4-2 defeat at Bloomfield Road was only his third for the Whites and his first since April but the decision is said to have been made to accommodate a new signing.

Wanderers are under an embargo which limits the number of first team players they can have in their squad, with each incoming deal needing scrutiny from the Football League.

Parkinson is due to give his press conference at lunchtime.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
sorry KP ,just posted the same thing in the news thread, absolutely stupid decision, he's a young lad who had some talent but needed to be developed not thrown out on his arse like this

karlypants

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Norpig wrote:sorry KP ,just posted the same thing in the news thread
No worries mate, now sorted. Smile

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
i don't buy the mutual consent part either, a silly decision all round

whatsgoingon

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
The only thing I can think of is our embargo is based on squad numbers so we needed someone out to bring more in, we're not by all accounts on a strict 1 in 1 out but we may be close to our squad numbers ceiling.

terenceanne

avatar
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
Does it mean that we have another player coming in then ?   or was this in response for that new full back the other day?

whatsgoingon

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
According to Iles we want two attacking loans in before the deadline, one was Mustafa Carayol which may still be on and a premier league striker loan.

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
whatsgoingon wrote:According to Iles we want two attacking loans in before the deadline, one was Mustafa Carayol which may still be on and a premier league striker loan.
 which is all good but why let a good young defensive prospect like Finney go? Surely we could have got rid of someone like Wilkinson who will never get a sniff of the first team

whatsgoingon

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Norpig wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:According to Iles we want two attacking loans in before the deadline, one was Mustafa Carayol which may still be on and a premier league striker loan.
 which is all good but why let a good young defensive prospect like Finney go? Surely we could have got rid of someone like Wilkinson who will never get a sniff of the first team
Pure speculation but I can only think he was the cheapest to get off the books, you can only get rid if they're prepared to go.

luckyPeterpiper

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
He may (unlikely I think but possible) have asked to be released. Perhaps he has a prospect of a contract with someone else and Phil thought it was better to let him go rather than try hanging onto a player who doesn't want to stay. Given where we are with the embargo etc it would make sense to let him go if that's what he wants in order to bring someone else in, particularly a striker.

whatsgoingon

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
luckyPeterpiper wrote:He may (unlikely I think but possible) have asked to be released. Perhaps he has a prospect of a contract with someone else and Phil thought it was better to let him go rather than try hanging onto a player who doesn't want to stay. Given where we are with the embargo etc it would make sense to let him go if that's what he wants in order to bring someone else in, particularly a striker.
PP clearly doesn't rate him because he tried sending him on loan to Barrow, not even to a League 2 club so he obviously thinks he's shite.
Beevers and Wheater clean sheet against one of the better teams in our division, Beevers and Finney concede 4 against a L2 team in free fall.

Boggersbelief

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Norpig wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:According to Iles we want two attacking loans in before the deadline, one was Mustafa Carayol which may still be on and a premier league striker loan.
 which is all good but why let a good young defensive prospect like Finney go? Surely we could have got rid of someone like Wilkinson who will never get a sniff of the first team

He rejected a loan move.

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
yes he did but it was Barrow. I wouldn't send my worst enemy to that barren shithole  Very Happy

Boggersbelief

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
He obvs isn't that good if that's the best offer he got

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Finney was just another skinny bloke in a long line of skinny blokes. He will never make it, Parkinson's given him a few games in pre-season and the lad hasn't stepped up.

For the record, being young doesn't mean you will one day turn into Paolo Maldini.

Guest


Guest
You try telling that to Paolo Maldini.

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Breadman wrote:You try telling that to Paolo Maldini.

Good point.

I'm leaving the site in shame.

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
Natasha Whittam wrote:
Breadman wrote:You try telling that to Paolo Maldini.

Good point.

I'm leaving the site in shame.
Laughing

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Don't worry, I'm back. Glad I didn't delete my account.

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
how do you delete your own account anyway? Not that i'm going to (i can imagine Boggers starting to read this and getting all excited)

Bwfc1958

avatar
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!
Norpig wrote:how do you delete your own account anyway? Not that i'm going to (i can imagine Boggers starting to read this and getting all excited)
Ask Johnny. He's come back from the dead before so he'll point you in the right direction. When we see the word guest instead of Norpig we'll assume you've figured it out. If you don't want to risk losing your account on here try it on the Man City forum you're on first as a  test run.

karlypants

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
In fact let's not get Johnny to tell everyone how to do it! Very Happy

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
Bwfc1958 wrote:
Norpig wrote:how do you delete your own account anyway? Not that i'm going to (i can imagine Boggers starting to read this and getting all excited)
Ask Johnny. He's come back from the dead before so he'll point you in the right direction. When we see the word guest instead of Norpig we'll assume you've figured it out. If you don't want to risk losing your account on here try it on the Man City forum you're on first as a  test run.
cheeky bugger  Very Happy I'm a Super White for life

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
What a god-awful stupid move than stinks of complete lack of foresight and financial incompetence.
Or financial desperation.
I hope they're having the same talks with the remaining high earners and putting together a compelling argument to get them to agree to cancel their contracts because if they don't get us promoted we won't have any of our better young players left to fall back on next year when the fancy dans move on.

luckyPeterpiper

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
wanderlust wrote:What a god-awful stupid move than stinks of complete lack of foresight and financial incompetence.
Or financial desperation.
I hope they're having the same talks with the remaining high earners and putting together a compelling argument to get them to agree to cancel their contracts because if they don't get us promoted we won't have any of our better young players left to fall back on next year when the fancy dans move on.
I understand your point but seriously lusty, finney isn't the new Rio Ferdinand or Ashley Cole mate. He's not that good and even as a prospect I can't say he lit up the stars for me. In truth we've got to find money to improve the squad from somewhere and if the lad refused a loan move (proving he wasn't in Phil's immediate plans anyway) and we still need to cut the wage bill then this is the logical next step. Personally I have faith in Phil's judgement and if he felt the lad's not going to cut it here then so be it.

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
wanderlust wrote:What a god-awful stupid move than stinks of complete lack of foresight and financial incompetence.
Or financial desperation.

So from your armchair in Norfolk you can tell that Finney is going to be a good player, but the people that see him day in, day out can't see it?

Why can't people just accept he's not good enough.

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:What a god-awful stupid move than stinks of complete lack of foresight and financial incompetence.
Or financial desperation.

So from your armchair in Norfolk you can tell that Finney is going to be a good player, but the people that see him day in, day out can't see it?

Why can't people just accept he's not good enough.
Not the point. He's shown he's a competent stand-in for the first team and was a good leader of the U18s and from what I and others have seen of him there's no reason why he shouldn't be a championship level player in a year or so.

By comparison with other players of that quality in our squad, he costs a lot less than most and has youth on his side. If we're trying to save money or make room for a signing a) why not get rid of someone who is at the end of their career and costs us more? and b) if it had to be him, why didn't they try to sell him instead of giving him away after investing in his development?
And from my armchair, I didn't see anything in particular to suggest he was at fault in this debacle so I'd be surprised and disappointed if it was a kneejerk reaction from Parky:

luckyPeterpiper

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
I don't think it was a kneejerk lusty. Parky must have been watching him in the summer and pre-season stuff as well as this match. Like I said earlier it's clear Finney wasn't in the manager's plans at least in the short term because he was offered out on loan. Given that finney rejected that move and the contract was cancelled by 'mutual consent' it would suggest to me that finney himself is the driving force behind his exit rather than the club. If that's the case (and I don't claim to know one way or the other) then letting him go 'by mutual consent' strikes me as the only thing Phil could sensibly do.

terenceanne

avatar
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
Under embargo rules we are still affected by it seems like there wasn't much choice in it. Somebody has to go to bring another one in.  Maybe giving him a game with the first time was sort of a scam for this end ...first time appearance etc....I have no idea just saying.   
Again, all this embargo stuff should have been sorted months ago....but it's still got us lumbered.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum