You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Bolton Wanderers Banter » Official: Alex Finney leaves Bolton Wanderers

Official: Alex Finney leaves Bolton Wanderers

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
luckyPeterpiper wrote:it would suggest to me that finney himself is the driving force behind his exit rather than the club. If that's the case (and I don't claim to know one way or the other) then letting him go 'by mutual consent' strikes me as the only thing Phil could sensibly do.
Quite possibly. That could be motivated by Parky signing more ageing defenders at a time when Finney is looking to get regular first team football, but I think if that was the case they should have encouraged him to stay and develop further because whilst we may have temporary relief from our financial woes, we are gambling on promotion and if it doesn't pay off, at least 10 senior squad members will not have their expensive contracts renewed next summer and Finney will be needed.

luckyPeterpiper

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
wanderlust wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:it would suggest to me that finney himself is the driving force behind his exit rather than the club. If that's the case (and I don't claim to know one way or the other) then letting him go 'by mutual consent' strikes me as the only thing Phil could sensibly do.
Quite possibly. That could be motivated by Parky signing more ageing defenders at a time when Finney is looking to get regular first team football, but I think if that was the case they should have encouraged him to stay and develop further because whilst we may have temporary relief from our financial woes, we are gambling on promotion and if it doesn't pay off, at least 10 senior squad members will not have their expensive contracts renewed next summer and Finney will be needed.
Unfortunately we're not in a position where we can adopt such a wait and see attitude. It's incredibly unlikely that we'll be renewing any of the 'high earner' contracts anyway because even if we do get promoted we won't be able to afford the wages they're on now. I suspect Parkinson felt in the end that keeping an unhappy player no matter how low his wages would be a false economy in its own right and as you say we have signed quite a few defenders with more experience at this level so he wasn't crucial at this time.

I don't claim to be in the know of course but if Finney wasn't willing to wait then I think Phil has done the only thing he could under the circumstances. As it happens I agree with him (assuming my theory that Finney wanted to go is correct) but whatever the true reason for the young man's departure may be neither you nor I were there and can't really judge whether or not there were other options.

All I can say at the moment is Phil Parkinson has a well-deserved good reputation at this level and I feel he is much better qualified to deal with matters like this than I am so I'll trust his judgement for now at least.

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:it would suggest to me that finney himself is the driving force behind his exit rather than the club. If that's the case (and I don't claim to know one way or the other) then letting him go 'by mutual consent' strikes me as the only thing Phil could sensibly do.
Quite possibly. That could be motivated by Parky signing more ageing defenders at a time when Finney is looking to get regular first team football, but I think if that was the case they should have encouraged him to stay and develop further because whilst we may have temporary relief from our financial woes, we are gambling on promotion and if it doesn't pay off, at least 10 senior squad members will not have their expensive contracts renewed next summer and Finney will be needed.
Unfortunately we're not in a position where we can adopt such a wait and see attitude. It's incredibly unlikely that we'll be renewing any of the 'high earner' contracts anyway because even if we do get promoted we won't be able to afford the wages they're on now. I suspect Parkinson felt in the end that keeping an unhappy player no matter how low his wages would be a false economy in its own right and as you say we have signed quite a few defenders with more experience at this level so he wasn't crucial at this time.

I don't claim to be in the know of course but if Finney wasn't willing to wait then I think Phil has done the only thing he could under the circumstances. As it happens I agree with him (assuming my theory that Finney wanted to go is correct) but whatever the true reason for the young man's departure may be neither you nor I were there and can't really judge whether or not there were other options.

All I can say at the moment is Phil Parkinson has a well-deserved good reputation at this level and I feel he is much better qualified to deal with matters like this than I am so I'll trust his judgement for now at least.
Yeah. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt too especially as it's so early in his tenure and all we can do is read the tea leaves anyway. Maybe he has a long -term plan and maybe the finances will fall into place but I'd have thought Finney would have been part of the contingency in case it doesn't work out as desired. The question is whether Parky was forced to get rid or was it all down to Finney being disgruntled. In a weird way I hope it's the latter.

luckyPeterpiper

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
I think it most likely is the latter if only because young men don't tend to be terribly patient and let's face it the average footballer is as think as a plank to boot. I doubt Finney would be thinking far enough ahead to realise that a loan to Barrow might have done him good for his long term career and once he turned that down the writing was on the wall. There does seem to be a tendency with young players today to believe they should have it all now even when they don't have the talent of say Alan Smith or Wayne Rooney etc. Finney wouldn't be the first BWFC player to get a swelled head and think he was too good for us either, remember Michael Ricketts?

Guest


Guest
Norpig wrote:
Bwfc1958 wrote:
Norpig wrote:how do you delete your own account anyway? Not that i'm going to (i can imagine Boggers starting to read this and getting all excited)
Ask Johnny. He's come back from the dead before so he'll point you in the right direction. When we see the word guest instead of Norpig we'll assume you've figured it out. If you don't want to risk losing your account on here try it on the Man City forum you're on first as a  test run.
cheeky bugger  Very Happy I'm a Super White for life
Not telling you.  Im still gutted i did it in the first place lime a bellend!!! 13,600 posts just vanished.   What a twat

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
y2johnny wrote:
Norpig wrote:
Bwfc1958 wrote:
Norpig wrote:how do you delete your own account anyway? Not that i'm going to (i can imagine Boggers starting to read this and getting all excited)
Ask Johnny. He's come back from the dead before so he'll point you in the right direction. When we see the word guest instead of Norpig we'll assume you've figured it out. If you don't want to risk losing your account on here try it on the Man City forum you're on first as a  test run.
cheeky bugger  Very Happy I'm a Super White for life
Not telling you.  Im still gutted i did it in the first place lime a bellend!!! 13,600 posts just vanished.   What a twat
And my thread was started by Guest. Surely it can be fixed before the book comes out.

Guest


Guest
I wish it could

wessy

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I have no problem with this, the manager needs to change things under difficult circumstances, Finney when given a chance was found wanting, didn't he get subbed last season on his debut when we got hammered. Trust in PP at this point we have no other option.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum