Bolton Wanderers Fans Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Bolton Wanderers Banter » Burnden Park circa 1985 or The Macron Stadium 2016.

Burnden Park circa 1985 or The Macron Stadium 2016.

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Where and when?

67% 67% [ 10 ]
33% 33% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 15

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
It's 2016, we're in the third division with a clueless manager and a bunch of shite players and we can't even string three passes together at home, let alone score a goal.

Those of you old enough to do so, cast your minds back to the wonderful days of Chin Neal and his band of disparate renegades (including The Fat Man) in the mid-80s.

We were in the third division then too.

And we had a poor manager and a bunch of crap players.

But I don't recall too much gnashing of teeth and uncontrollable wailing at our plight back then.

Because we all knew we were shite and nobody worried about it too much.

If we won, we won. If we got drubbed, so be it - We're Bolton and we're rubbish. Accept it and move on.

But it's very different now.

We've tasted the fare on offer at the Top Table and we liked it.

We even went on a couple of European adventures and ate exotic stuff like Bratwurst and it was delicious!

So my question is this:

Given what we know now, where and when would you rather be: Standing in a puddle of someone else's wee in a half empty Burnden Terrace watching us lose to 1-4 to Bury (Google it) or sitting in your cold, hard plastic seat at The Macron watching us not have a single shot on target, as we lose to Oxford Utd?

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
85 was just before my time as i started going in 87 when we went to the old 4th division but i do still prefer the Burnden era and would happily go back to it.

We hadn't been anywhere near the top 2 divisions for a while then and expectations were a lot lower and there wasn't the pressure there is now. The problem we have now is that a lot of our younger fans have only started going when we were in the Premiership so this now is all a massive culture shock to them.

Once Rioch took over we also saw a lot better football than we do currently that's for sure

MartinBWFC

avatar
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
Back in the day you could talk to the players and tell em they are shit, and you were probably earning just under what they were, like you say we were shit, but we knew it and could take the piss out of ourselves, the top table will be available to us again not sure it'll be in my lifetime though.

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
It seems worse nowadays because of the internet. In 1985 I'm guessing people just went home and moaned to the wife or cat.

Nowadays the world is full of keyboard warriors who can't wait to give their opinion, and like mugs we reply to them while stating our own opinion.

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Natasha Whittam wrote:Nowadays the world is full of keyboard warriors who can't wait to give their opinion, and like mugs we reply to them while stating our own opinion.

Is that what passes for subtlety in your penthouse?

MartinBWFC

avatar
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
Neil Fisher( yes I didn't remember him neither ) was a speaker in the corporate box yesterday, he spoke of Neals time at the club, and his inability to handle players.

Then went on to when Rioch took over, some big egos got a culture shock, McAteer made his debut for ROI, and went out and bought a Porche boxter, when he turned up for training in it Rioch told him get it back to where you bought it or you won't play for me again! and he's the main reason we rose through the leagues.

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Bread2.0 wrote:

Is that what passes for subtlety in your penthouse?

Actually it wasn't, it was more me suggesting my opinion is what matters.

I don't doubt you were there in 1985.

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
Natasha Whittam wrote:It seems worse nowadays because of the internet. In 1985 I'm guessing people just went home and moaned to the wife or cat.

Nowadays the world is full of keyboard warriors who can't wait to give their opinion, and like mugs we reply to them while stating our own opinion.
 so speaks the forum Gay Queen, lets face it Nat where else would you get to act like this?

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
MartinBWFC wrote:Neil Fisher( yes I didn't remember him neither ) was a speaker in the corporate box yesterday, he spoke of Neals time at the club, and his inability to handle players.

Then went on to when Rioch took over, some big egos got a culture shock, McAteer made his debut for ROI, and went out and bought a Porche boxter, when he turned up for training in it Rioch told him get it back to where you bought it or you won't play for me again! and he's the main reason we rose through the leagues.
 i remember him vaguely but he only played 24 first team games in 5 years, hardly a legend worth dragging out at half time

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Norpig wrote: so speaks the forum Gay Queen

Laughable that the mods defend poor Johnny yet nothing is done about this blatant bullery.

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Who's voted for the Macron option, just out of interest?

Not saying you're wrong (obviously because the whole idea of a poll is to find out what people think) but I am interested to hear why you've voted for it.

Cheers.

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
i'm pretty sure i didn't write the word gay? How did that get there?  scratch

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I noticed that too.

You've been fitted up, mate.

Skulduggery's afoot.

karlypants

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Laughing

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
naughty KP  :cop:

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
Bread2.0 wrote:Who's voted for the Macron option, just out of interest?

Not saying you're wrong (obviously because the whole idea of a poll is to find out what people think) but I am interested to hear why you've voted for it.

Cheers.
 It would have to be one of the younger ones on here, there's probably some who never went to Burnden

y2johnny

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Natasha Whittam wrote:
Norpig wrote: so speaks the forum Gay Queen

Laughable that the mods defend poor Johnny yet nothing is done about this blatant bullery.

Obsessed

http://Www.thefacefittester.co.uk

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I just don't understand why the mods are so desperate for you to post, despite the fact you keep slagging them off (the Facebook photos of your kids for instance).

y2johnny

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Natasha Whittam wrote:I just don't understand why the mods are so desperate for you to post, despite the fact you keep slagging them off (the Facebook photos of your kids for instance).
Here we go.

Sociopath

http://Www.thefacefittester.co.uk

NickFazer

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
My heart wanted to vote for Burnden, but the move to the Macron was the right thing to do, there isn't any point looking back except to recall the good (and the bad) memories. Better atmosphere with 5k at Burnden than 15k at the Macron though

scottjames30

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
NickFazer wrote:My heart wanted to vote for Burnden, but the move to the Macron was the right thing to do, there isn't any point looking back except to recall the good (and the bad) memories. Better atmosphere with 5k at Burnden than 15k at the Macron though

Burnden was great for the memories, but was a shithole and we needed a better stadium for the big ambitions the club had, it was also a great location, right slap bang in the heart of Bolton, I'd love it if they would've just knocked Burnden Park down and replaced it with the new stadium on Manny Road,( not possible I know) but we've had our best top flight football played at the Reebok, and I remember that atmosphere rocking under Big Sam, (Great memories too) also the best players in the world came weekly and I had my best time as a Wanderer watching them.(footballing wise)

For a stadium like we have at present, (Macron) we need to be playing
top flight football, otherwise it's worthless.

Hopefully one day they shall return, if we get bought out by a Billionaire!

King Bill

avatar
David Lee
David Lee
Top thread Bread. I was talking about the exact same thing to a Wanderer the other day.

Macron everytime, the location, facilities, the way it's attracted big players which in turn has brought the club success. I doubt we'd be getting 14,000 fans at Burnden in our present predicament.

Your right, we were shite in 85, and the five years previous. I don't ever recall fans booing and abusing players not near half as much as they do now. In fact, crap players where made cult figures. Remember "yed down, arse up" Joyce ? That ground still had the ghosts of Wanderers players watching from the rafters. Our town, our club, proud of it, as shite as we were. Only the Warby's got any stick thrown by the crowd.

Now, same shite but the crowd have no patience. The young have no idea where our proud history came from as the town itself has had its heart ripped out of it. Bolton ain't Bolton anymore. Anything goes now, the new fans have tasted success and think the tap can be turned back on if they hurl enough abuse at players and managers alike.

So where here and it's now. League two could be on the cards but we've been there before too 87/88. I seem to remember we signed Andy Walker a couple of seasons later......and so it begins again.

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
The Macron has no soul, no atmosphere.

Burnden Park everytime so long as you had a wee before you went.

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
We used to stand about here.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

whatsgoingon

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Norpig wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:It seems worse nowadays because of the internet. In 1985 I'm guessing people just went home and moaned to the wife or cat.

Nowadays the world is full of keyboard warriors who can't wait to give their opinion, and like mugs we reply to them while stating our own opinion.
 so speaks the forum Gay Queen, lets face it Nat where else would you get to act like this?
And be a woman

Bwfc1958

avatar
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!
I started going in the late 80s but I was very young and can't remember much about the atmosphere at that time. The Bruce Rioch era is where all my early memories start and the atmosphere was great. Personally I much preferred Burnden but during the Prem years and in the championship play offs the Reebok was absolutely rocking. I think Arsenal found it quite intimidating at times. 

Going back to the original question, if we are comparing the Macron at this present moment and burnden in similar circumstances, it's Burnden every time.

Banks of the Croal

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
The 60s/70s were my best times at Burnden.
The Macron is okay comfort wise, at my age now Very Happy 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]



Last edited by Banks of the Croal on Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

whatsgoingon

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
The atmosphere at Burnden was much better than the Macron, it was ruined though when they built the supermarket on half the Embankment.
We used to go in the Burnden paddock towards the Embankment end but when they started singing the Burnden stand used to join in and stamp on the wooden floors.
Oh when the whites go marching in used to be my favourite because it usually caught on right round the ground.
When I was old enough to go on my own with my mates we used to go in the Lever End and sing we are the lever, the lever enders

y2johnny

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Early 90s for me.  Similar to 58, the rioch era.  Went with a mate of mine who was a couple of years older and we stood on BT.

Best education ever.

http://Www.thefacefittester.co.uk

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
i was a Paddock boy,happy days  Very Happy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum