Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

No nonsense centre backs

+8
whatsgoingon
xmiles
boltonbonce
Norpig
wanderlust
Natasha Whittam
Bread2.0
Bwfc1958
12 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1No nonsense centre backs Empty No nonsense centre backs Sun Oct 23 2016, 22:34

Who was your favourite and who was the biggest liability?

Gerry Taggart was a good no nonsense type cb.  Hard as nails and strikers know he would give them hell.

Andy Todd was probably a liability but i actually liked him.  A liability as you never knew how long he would last once he saw red Smile

Danny Shittu.  I actually had his name on tthe back of the mustard coloured sports bra top we had at the time.  I was trying to be ironic.  Smile  spent more time kicking players ten feet in tthe air rather than the ball.

2No nonsense centre backs Empty Re: No nonsense centre backs Mon Oct 24 2016, 00:02

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Loved Taggart as a defender, Chris Fairclough was a good defender as well. Seagraves and Winstanley were a decent partnership and I also liked Mark Fish.

3No nonsense centre backs Empty Re: No nonsense centre backs Mon Oct 24 2016, 00:15

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

The two Marks.

Winstanley & Seagraves.

They both played in the Third Division (ie where we fucking are now) and both of them got it done with little or no fuss.

Defended the goal, looked comfortable on the ball and played simple passes to the midfield players who would then knock it on to Steve "God" Thompson as he created the magic and carried us forward to glory.

Special mention to another Mark - Came.

Solid.

4No nonsense centre backs Empty Re: No nonsense centre backs Mon Oct 24 2016, 09:24

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Favourites were Mark Fish, Gudni and N'Gotty.

Zat Knight was probably the biggest liability, although Djibril Diawara didn't exactly cover himself in glory.

5No nonsense centre backs Empty Re: No nonsense centre backs Mon Oct 24 2016, 10:19

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I wouldn't describe Mark Feeesh as "no-nonsense" TBH. In his first game (against Manure at Burnden) he tried to beat their entire team and dribbled the ball the length of the pitch to have a shot and I remember thinking that the full backs weren't tucking in to cover his run. He was a great player but he was all over the place like Cahill when he first arrived.

6No nonsense centre backs Empty Re: No nonsense centre backs Mon Oct 24 2016, 12:54

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dean Crombie was great, who remembers his goal in the Sherpa Van final? Have to agree about Winstanley and Seagraves they were great at that level.

Taggart was great as well and one who may not have played many games but who made a massive impression was Florent Laville. Can't forget the other great Frenchman Bruno N'Gotty as well and a true Wanderers legend that is Gudni Bergsson

7No nonsense centre backs Empty Re: No nonsense centre backs Mon Oct 24 2016, 13:00

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Have to agree with most of the above. I'd add the late John Hulme.

8No nonsense centre backs Empty Re: No nonsense centre backs Mon Oct 24 2016, 14:19

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Norpig wrote:
Taggart was great as well and one who may not have played many games but who made a massive impression was Florent Laville.

Laville was one of the best defenders we ever had. He totally turned our season round when we signed him in 2003 and worked perfectly with Gudni. Very sad that injury stopped his career prematurely.

9No nonsense centre backs Empty Re: No nonsense centre backs Mon Oct 24 2016, 15:38

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

N'Gotty was an awesome defender,

10No nonsense centre backs Empty Re: No nonsense centre backs Mon Oct 24 2016, 15:43

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Radio Jaidi & Abdoulaye Faye. Those guys took no prisoners.

11No nonsense centre backs Empty Re: No nonsense centre backs Mon Oct 24 2016, 21:47

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Tal ben Haim, Gudni and N'Gotty.

Never liked Fish, however worse by a country mile was Gerald Cid

12No nonsense centre backs Empty Re: No nonsense centre backs Mon Oct 24 2016, 21:58

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Iliked Sam Alladyce's attitude of 'never mind the ball, get on with the game' as he happily took someone out.

13No nonsense centre backs Empty Re: No nonsense centre backs Mon Oct 24 2016, 23:24

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Gerry McElhinney had an almost "agricultural" method of defending..

14No nonsense centre backs Empty Re: No nonsense centre backs Mon Oct 24 2016, 23:46

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

NickFazer wrote:Gerry McElhinney had an almost "agricultural" method of defending..
I loved him he was awesome, a proper defender

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum