Bolton Wanderers Fans Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Bolton Wanderers Banter » All time Burnden Park XI

All time Burnden Park XI

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 All time Burnden Park XI on Thu Nov 03 2016, 13:21

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
The Bolton News have an article today about this so i thought i would shamelessly steal it and put it on here for us to come up with our favourite players from the Burnden Park era.

I'll have to get my thinking cap to remember if certain players actually played at Burnden but a few pick themselves like Supa John.

Go on give it a go  Very Happy



Last edited by Norpig on Thu Nov 03 2016, 13:44; edited 1 time in total

2 Re: All time Burnden Park XI on Thu Nov 03 2016, 13:35

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
Branagan  

Brown    Bergsson    Seagraves   Cowdrill

Johannsen   Frandsen   McAteer  Alan Thompson

                    McGinlay Walker

Mine are only from when i first started going to Burnden in 1987 but i think it's a decent team!

3 Re: All time Burnden Park XI on Thu Nov 03 2016, 20:00

wessy

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I don't get this ? if your picking the best team then it needs to reflect the best players, so to just pick players you have seen to me makes it a nonsense.

It seems blatantly obvious that for instance Lofthouse who scored 30 goals in 33 games for England despite if you saw him or not, his record makes Mcginlay and Walker who only delivered outside the top tier a bit of Joke. Plus Frank Worthington was better than both?

Branagan again a great club man but against Hopkinsons record for both club and country he just doesn't figure.

This is not supposed to be the best team you have seen but the best to have ever played at Burnden park, I cant even take your back four seriously.

If we go down this route then most will just pick the team that went up in 1995 under Rioch similar to your team. No Paul Jones, Peter Thomson, Peter Reid, Freddy Hill , Francis Lee kept out by Cowdrill and Seagrave etc ?

4 Re: All time Burnden Park XI on Thu Nov 03 2016, 20:25

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
wessy wrote:It seems blatantly obvious that for instance Lofthouse who scored 30 goals in 33 games for England despite if you saw him or not, his record makes Mcginlay and Walker who only delivered outside the top tier a bit of Joke. Plus Frank Worthington was better than both?


It's blatantly obvious that the standard of football was far greater in Division 3 in the 90's than Division 1 in the 50's.

5 Re: All time Burnden Park XI on Thu Nov 03 2016, 20:52

NickFazer

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
You can only really pick a team from those you have seen surely.

6 Re: All time Burnden Park XI on Thu Nov 03 2016, 20:59

wessy

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
No i have never seen Pele but everything tells me he was better than Cowdrill?

If your right then the majority of posters will be from the final ten tears at Burnden so you might as well just name the promotion side from the Rioch era.

7 Re: All time Burnden Park XI on Thu Nov 03 2016, 21:00

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
wessy wrote:No i have never seen Pele but everything tells me he was better than Cowdrill?


Pele wasn't a left back. Are you mixing him up with Moxey?

8 Re: All time Burnden Park XI on Thu Nov 03 2016, 21:22

NickFazer

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Peter Nicholson

9 Re: All time Burnden Park XI on Thu Nov 03 2016, 21:24

NickFazer

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Point take Wessy but the question was "Your all time  Burnden era 11"

So some have a greater range to choose from mine would be 1977 to 1997.

10 Re: All time Burnden Park XI on Fri Nov 04 2016, 08:40

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
wessy wrote:I don't get this ? if your picking the best team then it needs to reflect the best players, so to just pick players you have seen to me makes it a nonsense.

It seems blatantly obvious that for instance Lofthouse who scored 30 goals in 33 games for England despite if you saw him or not, his record makes Mcginlay and Walker who only delivered outside the top tier a bit of Joke. Plus Frank Worthington was better than both?

Branagan again a great club man but against Hopkinsons record for both club and country he just doesn't figure.

This is not supposed to be the best team you have seen but the best to have ever played at Burnden park, I cant even take your back four seriously.

If we go down this route then most will just pick the team that went up in 1995 under Rioch similar to your team. No Paul Jones, Peter Thomson, Peter Reid, Freddy Hill , Francis Lee kept out by Cowdrill and Seagrave etc ?
Taking this all far too seriously Wessy, calm down and stop being so pompous

As i said on my team they are from when i first started going to Burnden and yes they may not be the best players we've ever had but they are my personal favourites

11 Re: All time Burnden Park XI on Fri Nov 04 2016, 20:43

wessy

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Norpig wrote:
wessy wrote:I don't get this ? if your picking the best team then it needs to reflect the best players, so to just pick players you have seen to me makes it a nonsense.

It seems blatantly obvious that for instance Lofthouse who scored 30 goals in 33 games for England despite if you saw him or not, his record makes Mcginlay and Walker who only delivered outside the top tier a bit of Joke. Plus Frank Worthington was better than both?

Branagan again a great club man but against Hopkinsons record for both club and country he just doesn't figure.

This is not supposed to be the best team you have seen but the best to have ever played at Burnden park, I cant even take your back four seriously.

If we go down this route then most will just pick the team that went up in 1995 under Rioch similar to your team. No Paul Jones, Peter Thomson, Peter Reid, Freddy Hill , Francis Lee kept out by Cowdrill and Seagrave etc ?
Taking this all far too seriously Wessy, calm down and stop being so pompous

As i said on my team they are from when i first started going to Burnden and yes they may not be the best players we've ever had but they are my personal favourites
Apologies Norpig did sound like a bit of an arse, just meant that by picking the team we have seen rules out some of the greatest players to wear the shirt, most people that will bother will be the younger end, so your going to get a team that will not represent the best. However the so called experts will end up picking a team to appease all.

12 Re: All time Burnden Park XI on Fri Nov 04 2016, 22:06

finlaymcdanger


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
11 Mark Pattersons would piss this league

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum