Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Northampton 0-1 Bolton - Match Report Post #29

+12
terenceanne
wessy
Bwfc1958
karlypants
NickFazer
Natasha Whittam
Norpig
gloswhite
Boggersbelief
wanderlust
whatsgoingon
MartinBWFC
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

boltonbonce wrote:Just seen the goal on Sky Sport. Nicely done.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Deft little touch from Sameobi

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Is that Ameobi's first ever assist?

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:Is that Ameobi's first ever assist?
If it is it'll be one more than Madine.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Madine has generally been outstanding of late.

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Yeah, no goals in twelve games - Outfuckingstanding.....

I bet Barcelona wish that shit bastard Messi was that "outstanding".

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bread2.0 wrote:Yeah, no goals in twelve games - Outfuckingstanding.....

I bet Barcelona wish that shit bastard Messi was that "outstanding".

He's no world-beater of course, but he's won an awful lot of ball, and held it up well. When he was injured we were truly awful without him.

What has your armchair got to say about that?

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

My armchair says he's shite and if we weren't so strapped for cash and having to operate under an embargo, he'd already be plying his trade for a team more befitting of his level of talent.

Like Chorley.

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Had to work harder for that today than we should have, we were well in control after we got in front but our inability to press home an advantage will cost us sooner or later. Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining and we deserved the points but we get pushed back after going ahead and the subs (Parky complains about this) aren't able to affect the game in the last 20 mins of so.

Still happy with the result and the day out, even the traffic wasn't too bad today.

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Thought Madine showed some good touches today and held the ball up well, we don't provide opportunities for Madine in open play, crosses into the box are few and far between and lacking quality. He also gets fuck all in the way of decisions from the officials, I think he only got one in his favour today when adefender headed the back of Madine's head.

King Bill

King Bill
David Lee
David Lee

Agree with Nick. We bossed the game after going one up, yet struggled to kill Northampton off in the second half. To be honest, we were a tad lucky to get the win, but our defence including Alnwick were superb once again and managed to see us home.
I do think we flatter to deceive at the minute. Goals are a problem and this area needs to be addressed asap.
Cracking three points though, great turnout again, M6 unusually quiet too......which was nice.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Since PP came in he has done a great job in sorting out a defence that was as poor as anything I've ever seen and we now look solid and difficult to beat, however we don't seem to be able to get any kind of consistency in attack.
I believe we have players easily good enough to score a hatfull against some of the crap in this league but we don't ever seem to convert superiority into a proper beating for someone, even a few of the 2-0 wins were in the balance until a late goal.
I think a big part of that is down to belief and we go out not believing we should be dicking teams and that we should expect hard games, some of the games so far have been anything but hard but we have endeavoured to make them look like it.
We need more players going out believing the have the opportunity to fill their boots and looking to score from anywhere because as it stands at the moment if Zach gets injured (not beyond the realms of possibility) I would be worried where the goals were going to come from.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

King Bill wrote:Agree with Nick. We bossed the game after going one up, yet struggled to kill Northampton off in the second half. To be honest, we were a tad lucky to get the win, but our defence including Alnwick were superb once again and managed to see us home.
Do you think that the reason for this is that in order to stay solid at the back, our midfield tends to sit deep and so when we do get the ball forward we don't have the numbers to cause problems?

I ask because the top counter attacking sides like Chelsea also sit deep but when they get forward, everybody goes at once and they strike quickly with 6 or 7 players bombing forward - and still have the legs to get back quickly when it breaks down. Whereas we don't have really quick, talented, superfit box-to-box midfielders to play that way ATM so we have to accept that we either defend well or attack but not both.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

whatsgoingon wrote:Since PP came in he has done a great job in sorting out a defence that was as poor as anything I've ever seen and we now look solid and difficult to beat, however we don't seem to be able to get any kind of consistency in attack.
I believe we have players easily good enough to score a hatfull against some of the crap in this league but we don't ever seem to convert superiority into a proper beating for someone, even a few of the 2-0 wins were in the balance until a late goal.
I think a big part of that is down to belief and we go out not believing we should be dicking teams and that we should expect hard games, some of the games so far have been anything but hard but we have endeavoured to make them look like it.
We need more players going out believing the have the opportunity to fill their boots and looking to score from anywhere because as it stands at the moment if Zach gets injured (not beyond the realms of possibility) I would be worried where the goals were going to come from.

Defence is better but keep in mind the level we are at now......not sure that would be the case if/when we go back up.  Lately it seems we are only playing 45 minutes of football. Don't know why that is but for now I'll take it of course. 
Still feel we need a couple more players in the window if we want a top two finish.  But who know about that with the on-going financials.  Sheffield have a home game tomorrow....figure we will be third in the table tomorrow night. Can't complain too much about that.

King Bill

King Bill
David Lee
David Lee

wanderlust wrote:
King Bill wrote:Agree with Nick. We bossed the game after going one up, yet struggled to kill Northampton off in the second half. To be honest, we were a tad lucky to get the win, but our defence including Alnwick were superb once again and managed to see us home.
Do you think that the reason for this is that in order to stay solid at the back, our midfield tends to sit deep and so when we do get the ball forward we don't have the numbers to cause problems?

I ask because the top counter attacking sides like Chelsea also sit deep but when they get forward, everybody goes at once and they strike quickly with 6 or 7 players bombing forward - and still have the legs to get back quickly when it breaks down. Whereas we don't have really quick, talented, superfit box-to-box midfielders to play that way ATM so we have to accept that we either defend well or attack but not both.

I think that just about sums it up wanderlust. Take Satdy's match, Thorpe and Spearing paired in midfield are never going to rampage forward on the counter attack. But on the flip side they do an incredible amount of work on and off the ball when the opposition are in our half. I think we'd all like to see an attacking Wanderers side but at this moment in time, if this is as good as it gets, then who are we to argue.
Personally I'd like to see Derik swap with Thorpe, as when in midfield, Derik can see the killer pass that Thorpe maybe can't. I have been impressed with Thorpe at CB when he's played in that position.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum