Bolton Wanderers Fans Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Bolton Wanderers Banter » Bolton 2-1 Scunthorpe - The GOALS Post #48

Bolton 2-1 Scunthorpe - The GOALS Post #48

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Bolton 2-1 Scunthorpe - The GOALS Post #48 on Wed Dec 28 2016, 16:30

MartinBWFC

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
This is the big one, our biggest test of the season so far, as I have said we are going to have to be on our game for the full 90 plus minutes, I'd be happy with a point.

1-1

NickFazer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Not seen a lot of them but from what I've read they are solid at the back an are a physical team. They have scored lots of goals and Paddy Madden is a good player at this level, our back four will have a battle on their hands. Having said that player for player we are good enough to beat them, personally I would have Osede in instead of Thorpe and we need to get Ameobi and Clough running at them as much as possible.

Boggersbelief

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Scunthorpe are nothing to rave about, they have one stand out player in Josh Morris, as for Paddy Madden, he flopped massively in the championship, our defence is championship standard. 

We will comfortably beat these 2-0

Natasha Whittam

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I've heard that Scunthorpe were pretty defensive at Bradford last week, I can't see them coming to the Macron and steaming forward at every opportunity.

0-0 wouldn't surprise me. Agree that Derek should replace Thorpe.

rammywhite

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
They'll be up for this one as well knowing that a win will put clear blue sky between us and them.
I'll be happy with a dour 1-1 for this one.

wessy

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Perfect Scenario within three points a win takes above them i expect a win 2-1 will do.

Sheff United blow hot and cold at home some comfortable wins but struggled against poor sides (Bury 9 Men) Oldham  & Shrewsbury i think Northampton could pull off a draw.

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Scunny aren't top of the league for nothing. They have good players all over the park, play as a team, have a very high workrate and never give up so our lads will need to be totally focussed and at the top of their game if we are going to win this one.
It's going to be tense and could go either way  but we need the win more than they do especially as it's a home game. Hopefully this is the game when it all comes together.

King Bill

David Lee
David Lee
Can't think of a bigger home league game since Blackpoo came here and a win would have seen us reach the championship playoffs. Be great to get a bumper crowd in too, 20k+ would be great.
I agree with wanderlust, Scunthorpe will be hard to beat. They will come here to prove they are top of this league for a reason and we cannot afford to make many mistakes. 
If the back five and midfield continue to be solid and our (still) hit and miss strike force have their shooting boots on, we can see this one out and bag all three points. 
If, and is it a big if, we end up top ot table on New Years Day, we should mentally have the upper hand and go on a points fest which should see Scunthorpe and co. have their inevitable losing streak.

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Can't see Sheff U slipping up at home to mid table Northampton so I think top is a bit optimistic Bill but you never know. And with our lot, going top would only have them believing their own hype again and having a day off next game. Still, it would be nice if unlikely.

terenceanne

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
"You are what your record says you are"  Scunny have more points and more goals than us therefore on paper they are the best team.  We have to play a full 90 minutes with no time off during the game. Figure they will score at least one.

2-2 sounds about right to me when the smoke clears.

Boggersbelief

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
terenceanne wrote:"You are what your record says you are"  Scunny have more points and more goals than us therefore on paper they are the best team.  We have to play a full 90 minutes with no time off during the game. Figure they will score at least one.

Do you ever big up Bolton? You know the team you supposedly support. Fuck me

terenceanne

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
Boggersbelief wrote:
terenceanne wrote:"You are what your record says you are"  Scunny have more points and more goals than us therefore on paper they are the best team.  We have to play a full 90 minutes with no time off during the game. Figure they will score at least one.

8-0 us ...... you happy now.

Boggersbelief

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
terenceanne wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:

8-0 us ...... you happy now.

Surprisingly

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Got a feeling we'll win this. 3-1 will do nicely.

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Looks like a few of the armchair mob are turning up. There's bound to be an even bigger queue for the bog.

Jack Russell

Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt
An opportunity to go top for the new year, if we can perform like we did against Gillingham I fancy us for a 2-1 win, I think Sheffield will draw.

karlypants

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Preview: Five talking points ahead of Bolton Wanderers v Scunthorpe United

1. Promotion six-pointer

Currently sitting third in Sky Bet League One, Wanderers sit just two points behind Scunthorpe United ahead of their blockbuster clash at Macron Stadium on New Year's Eve!

Both sides have been challenging at the top end of the table from the start of the campaign, and will be eager to gain an upper-hand in the promotion chase heading into 2017.

And with the Whites more than aware at what is stake as they look to leapfrog the Iron and return to the second tier at the first time of asking, the scene is set for a pulsating encounter at BL6! 

2. Home comforts
Having returned to winning ways at home to Shrewsbury Town on Boxing Day, Bolton will be chasing a tenth successive victory at Macron Stadium when they host Scunthorpe this weekend!

Conceding just four goals at BL6 during this run, the last time the Trotters dropped points at home came back in early October while they have lost just once on home soil in the league all season.

Meanwhile, Wanderers are also unbeaten in their last seven final home encounters of a calendar year.

Same again please, gents!

3. Will Jay Spearing be fit to play?
One of Whites' star performers so far this season, Jay Spearing faces a race to be fit if he is to feature against the Iron.

Bolton's stand-in skipper was withdrawn after 81 minutes against Shrewsbury on Boxing Day with a groin complaint, with Derik Osede coming on to replace him alongside Tom Thorpe.

The Spaniard looks set to be on standby to come in for Spearing once more should he not recover in time, with Liam Trotter and even returning Captain Darren Pratley possible options following their own respective returns from injury.

4. Big crowd
Having welcomed over 16,000 supporters to Macron Stadium on Boxing Day, the Trotters look set to top that crowd against league leaders Scunthorpe United!

Wanderers' biggest fixture of the season so far, there is an air of anticipation around BL6 heading into the clash. 

And with a possible victory over the Iron potentially decisive to the promotion race, the Whites will be eager for more of the same on Saturday as they look to see out 2016 in style!

Tickets can be bought from Bolton Central as normal or alternatively you can buy [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], so why not come down to Macron Stadium and cheer on Phil Parkinson's men?

5. Can Wanderers end 2016 on top?
Should Bolton clinch victory over Scunthorpe on Saturday and Sheffield United drop points at home to Northampton Town, the Trotters will head into 2017 as the new Sky Bet League One league leaders.

Fingers crossed!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

karlypants

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Ref watch: Andrew Madley to take charge of Scunthorpe clash

Andrew Madley will officiate Wanderers’ Sky Bet League One clash with Scunthorpe United on Saturday afternoon.

He has overseen 23 matches so far this season, issuing 68 yellows and two red cards.

The West Yorkshire based official has been involved in the professional game for the past six seasons and last took charge of a Bolton game when the Whites hosted Derby County on the opening day of the 2015/16 campaign.

His last Scunthorpe fixture meanwhile was a 2-1 win for the Iron against Middlesbrough in the Checkatrade Trophy on August 30.

James Wilson and Mark Dwyer will run the line, while Jeremy Simpson is the fourth official.

karlypants

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Radio Nuts is now live via the Portal or via this link here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

wanderlust

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Hang in there Northampton!

karlypants

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

karlypants

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
FT: Sheff United 1-0 Northampton

MartinBWFC

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
Well that was a roller coaster of a game, thought Clough was poor today, Ameobi flatters to decieve, great footwork at times, but loses possesion too easily, can't beat an injury time winner though, haven't celebrated a goal like that for years.

karlypants

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Report: Bolton 2-1 Scunthorpe United

IN BRIEF

Wanderers ended 2016 in Sky Bet League One's top two following the most dramatic of victories over Scunthorpe United at Macron Stadium on New Year's Eve.

Phil Parkinson’s men broke the deadlock inside 17 minutes and did so in style, with Josh Vela thundering home on the half volley from all of 20 yards.

The visitors levelled shortly after the hour mark through Neal Bishop from close range, but James Henry had the last word deep into injury time to earn all three points for the Trotters.

TEAM NEWS

Wanderers were unchanged in regards to their starting XI and substitutes from Monday’s league clash with Shrewsbury Town.

FIRST HALF

The first period got underway and it was the visitors who enjoyed the first notable chance as Paddy Madden saw a thunderous shot from just inside the box palmed away by Alnwick.

Wanderers were soon at it themselves however, with Zach Clough snapping an effort wide of the upright inside six minutes.

The chance visibly buoyed the Whites and certainly brought the game to life, with a number of tasty tackles flying in thereafter.

And the deadlock was broken inside 17 minutes as Gary Madine knocked the ball into the path of the advancing Vela who thundered home on the half volley from all of 20 yards with Luke Daniels left helpless in the United goal.

It was almost two soon after as the two combined once again with Madine this time producing the goalbound effort, only to see his shot hooked off away at the death.

The visitors meanwhile appeared to have levelled against the run of play in the 25th minute following a Josh Morris free-kick into the area, but the assistant referee’s flag was already up before the ball had hit the back of the net.

That chance led to a period of pressure from the Iron, with Wanderers being forced onto the back foot momentarily.

Bolton were soon back on the attack though, with Clough lifting the ball narrowly over the crossbar on the half hour mark after snaking his way into the box.

As the remainder of the first period ebbed away, Sammy Ameobi tried his luck from a tight angle on the edge of the box but Daniels was on his guard.

Come half time however, the Trotters’ advantage was just the one goal.

SECOND HALF

With no changes at the break, the game restarted and Bolton were the team to enjoy a first sight of goal.

Ultimately, nothing came from that move and thereafter, Scunthorpe enjoyed a period of possession which didn’t bring too much in the way of goalmouth action.

On the stroke of the hour though, it was very much the visitors who were knocking on the door with a header from a corner being nodded off the line by Madine.

The Bolton faithful were in fine voice amongst a crowd of over 17,000 at Macron Stadium, while Alnwick tipped a looping Morris header over the crossbar soon after.

With the game 62 minutes old however, the Iron were level as Bishop collected a loose ball in the Bolton box and thundered home into the roof of the net from close range.

The pressure cooker that was the game was building, with Mark Beevers receiving a caution following a clash of heads with Sam Mantom shortly after.

After that break in play, Bolton were able to regain their composure and set about finding a winner in the clash inside the final quarter.

Frustration was evident for both sides, with Clough tumbling under pressure from two United bodies deep inside the box but the referee was unmoved in regards to Bolton’s claims for a penalty kick.

With the game inside its final ten minutes, it was a case of all hands to the pump and Wanderers were left calling for another spot-kick as Bishop blocked a Tom Thorpe thunderbolt inside the box, with Bolton believing a hand had been used.

Thorpe meanwhile saw a header from a corner glance agonisingly wide of Daniels' far post with three minutes to go.

With six minutes added meanwhile, it was a case of now or never for the Whites.

And in the fourth minute, Bolton were rewarded as substitute Henry's deflected shot eluded Daniels to earn the most dramatic of victories.

FULL TIME

Keegan

Well, that was fun! Happy New Year, Nutters!  Very Happy Very Happy
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

http://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

wessy

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
A good game against a good side with a great result

Happy New Year

boltonbonce

Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Ref was shite.

Bread2.0

Andy Walker
Andy Walker
(Shouts in Brian Blessed from Flash Gordon voice): Keegan's alive!

bryan458

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Brilliant win lets not fuckit up on Monday now !!

Keegan

Bread2.0 wrote:(Shouts in Brian Blessed from Flash Gordon voice): Keegan's alive!
Heya Bread - what's good? Wink

http://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum