Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is Beevers our best signing since Allardyce left?

+7
wanderlust
xmiles
Boggersbelief
rammywhite
Natasha Whittam
Norpig
Sluffy
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

A bit of a controversial statement I know but (loan signings apart) who have we signed that stands out better than him?

Yes ok we got the likes of Holden and Mavies but matches played divided by the high watering wages they got during the years they were actually here meant (in my opinion at least) that they simply were not worth the money they actually cost us.

Elmander our club record signing flattered to deceive, cost us a fortune and left for free!

Muamba wasn't even a regular in the team before his near death experience at Spurs.

Cahill could be in with a shout but the peanuts we actually sold him for does seem to sully him (although that really isn't his fault).

Holden came through the academy and so we didn't sign him from someone else (which is sort of the point I'm trying to make), so he doesn't count.

Eagles was ok until he got the strops and never really played football anywhere else since then.

Was Tim Ream better than Beevers?

Even Lee who we saw on Saturday was never the same player from that pre-season injury from about three or four years ago - he certainly can't get into a poor Palace team this since his transfer two seasons ago.

So who else is there that the combined geniuses of Lee (Daniel Braaten), Megson (Zat Knight), Coyle (David Ngog and Marvin Sordell), Freeman (Dorian Dervite) and Lennon (Emile Heskey)brought in?

Can you name anybody?

Surely there must have be a decent signing in the last ten years?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Beevers has been the best of Parkys signings but it's a different level from when Allardyce left. For all Megsons's faults he could pick a player and Cahill was a great player for us.

If he had stayed fit Holden would have topped the list for definite, he was outstanding until that injury at Old Trafford

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:For all Megsons's faults he could pick a player.

Is that a serious comment? Do I really have to provide you with a list of the utter dross he bought for huge sums?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

go on then, fire away, he did buy Elmander so point taken but he did buy the likes of Chungy as well didn't he?

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Norpig wrote:For all Megsons's faults he could pick a player.

Is that a serious comment? Do I really have to provide you with a list of the utter dross he bought for huge sums?

Yes please chuck. Produce the list.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

ok Nat you were right aftre looking at some of the names on this list  Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It was megsons scouting network not him.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Norpig wrote:ok Nat you were right aftre looking at some of the names on this list  Very Happy

Pretty accurate analysis and it reminded me how good a signing Ricketts was.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:ok Nat you were right aftre looking at some of the names on this list  Very Happy

I can't believe you still doubt me.

That's a scary list. I don't have a problem with the low-cost signings, you take your chances with those and they can go either way.

But it's the amount of big money spent on shite. Elmander £8m, Shittu £2m (the clue was in the name Megson!), Zat Knight £4m, and if we're being totally honest, Muamba (£5m) did very little before his troubles.

But worst of all, he was the muppet who signed Mark Davies. Nuff said.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

However this thread is about the best signing not the overall track record of a particular manager. For me it would be Gary Cahill because since the big money era he was possibly the only CB we've had with international standard qualities. In fact he's the only one who fits in that class apart from loanees. Didn't stop him getting slagged off whilst he was learning his trade despite his self-evident skills.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I thought Cahill was hit and miss. He had good games but just as many poor games.

He hasn't changed much to be honest, he just has better players around him to cover his mistakes.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I thought Cahill was hit and miss. He had good games but just as many poor games.

He hasn't changed much to be honest, he just has better players around him to cover his mistakes.

So is there any Bolton player you have ever liked or what?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I thought Cahill was hit and miss. He had good games but just as many poor games.

He was hit and miss especially at the beginning but was noticeably better when he partnered Sam Ricketts instead of having to cover for Knight who was too similar in approach. He does make mistakes but as an aggressive CB he also sorts out trouble before it gets near the goal so I think that more than compensates. Add to that his distribution and attacking skills and that's why he's won the CL, Europa cup, Premier League and has over 50 caps for England. 
He played 130 times for us and scored 13 goals which is a better return than a lot of the duff strikers we've signed in recent years. Quality player and I wish we still had him.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:So is there any Bolton player you have ever liked or what?

Mainly players before your time. Players that gave a shit and offered 100% every week.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Mainly players before your time. Players that gave a shit and offered 100% every week.

How old are you?

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Boggersbelief wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

How old are you?

Anybody else now got 24 Hour Party People stuck in their head after reading that?

King Bill

King Bill
David Lee
David Lee

Sluffy wrote:A bit of a controversial statement I know but (loan signings apart) who have we signed that stands out better than him?

Yes ok we got the likes of Holden and Mavies but matches played divided by the high watering wages they got during the years they were actually here meant (in my opinion at least) that they simply were not worth the money they actually cost us.

Elmander our club record signing flattered to deceive, cost us a fortune and left for free!

Muamba wasn't even a regular in the team before his near death experience at Spurs.

Cahill could be in with a shout but the peanuts we actually sold him for does seem to sully him (although that really isn't his fault).

Holding came through the academy and so we didn't sign him from someone else (which is sort of the point I'm trying to make), so he doesn't count.

Eagles was ok until he got the strops and never really played football anywhere else since then.

Was Tim Ream better than Beevers?

Even Lee who we saw on Saturday was never the same player from that pre-season injury from about three or four years ago - he certainly can't get into a poor Palace team this since his transfer two seasons ago.

So who else is there that the combined geniuses of Lee (Daniel Braaten), Megson (Zat Knight), Coyle (David Ngog and Marvin Sordell), Freeman (Dorian Dervite) and Lennon (Emile Heskey)brought in?

Can you name anybody?

Surely there must have be a decent signing in the last ten years?

Beevers is definitely up there. He looks a Champinship player at the moment and should improve if he keeps playing regularly.
Rob Holding is another name, although I think he came through the Academy. Shame he went at the end of last season, would have been interesting to see them both playing for the Wanderers.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

It's definitely this guy, the rest are just also rans

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Nah !! It's a toss up between Gerald Cid and Liam Trotter!!

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bryan458 wrote:Nah !! It's a toss up between Gerald Cid and Liam Trotter!!
Think that would be a close call as they are a pair of tossers

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum