Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lovely grub

+8
gloswhite
Bread2.0
Soul Kitchen
Reebok Trotter
boltonbonce
Norpig
Bollotom2014
Sluffy
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

31Lovely grub - Page 3 Empty Re: Lovely grub Sat Feb 25 2017, 13:02

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Farmers Arms that's right. Cheers Sluffy, it's been bugging me that!

32Lovely grub - Page 3 Empty Re: Lovely grub Sat Feb 25 2017, 13:33

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

it was nice little pub the Farmers, nearly all the pubs around there have gone now, only the Vic left now and the Nelson (i think?) but in all my years drinking on Chorley Old Road i never ever went in there

33Lovely grub - Page 3 Empty Re: Lovely grub Sun Feb 26 2017, 16:36

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Do you remember " Sally Upsteps" just below Musgraves Mill?

34Lovely grub - Page 3 Empty Re: Lovely grub Sun Feb 26 2017, 16:47

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Cajunboy wrote:Do you remember " Sally Upsteps" just below Musgraves Mill?

I mentioned it briefly in post 30 on this thread, Cajun.

35Lovely grub - Page 3 Empty Re: Lovely grub Sun Feb 26 2017, 18:56

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

we went in Sallys a lot, it was a decent pub and didn't seem as rough or have a reputation like the Vic

36Lovely grub - Page 3 Empty Re: Lovely grub Sun Feb 26 2017, 19:53

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I used to go in Mortified Bowling Club when I lived up there. I'd visited the bowling green with a casey long before the bar though, it was like stepping out on Wembley!

37Lovely grub - Page 3 Empty Re: Lovely grub Mon Feb 27 2017, 08:45

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i went in there a few times as well SK, just for a drink though, no bowls  Very Happy

38Lovely grub - Page 3 Empty Re: Lovely grub Mon Feb 27 2017, 09:25

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

All I've ever Known Sally Upsteps to be is a chippy! What year did it close?

39Lovely grub - Page 3 Empty Re: Lovely grub Mon Feb 27 2017, 09:49

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

The chippy's next door (Nortex Mill side).

The pub's a Thai restaurant now, isn't it?

40Lovely grub - Page 3 Empty Re: Lovely grub Mon Feb 27 2017, 10:24

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Yes the chippy was next door and it is a thai place still i think, the pub closed a long long time ago probably back in the 90's sometime?

There was another pub along there that we went in called Funnys, anyone remember that one? It was the scene of the best bar fight i ever witnessed  Very Happy

41Lovely grub - Page 3 Empty Re: Lovely grub Mon Feb 27 2017, 12:00

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nam Ploy?

42Lovely grub - Page 3 Empty Re: Lovely grub Mon Feb 27 2017, 12:03

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Norpig wrote:Yes the chippy was next door and it is a thai place still i think, the pub closed a long long time ago probably back in the 90's sometime?

There was another pub along there that we went in called Funnys, anyone remember that one? It was the scene of the best bar fight i ever witnessed  Very Happy

That place was mental.

It was right up there in the "guaranteed violent disorder" stakes with Chuffers in Farnworth and Nibblers in Horwich.

I only ever went in Funny's once or twice and it scared the shit out of me even back then when I was young and (relatively) fearless.

43Lovely grub - Page 3 Empty Re: Lovely grub Mon Feb 27 2017, 12:08

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

thats it KP,never been in since it changed to a restuarant though, always liked it as a pub when it was Sally's.

It's like a trip down memory lane this thread, i was a Chorley Old Road boy and the Vic was my local, even now it's still remembered as being very rough but we were used to it.

My favourite story from my Vic days was one of the regulars was a bit of a loon and one night he decided to steal a load of plastic hard hats from the plastics firm that was next to EBM. He brought them into the back room of the Vic and dished out the hats to everyone (even the staff) and we all carried on as normal.
The Police came in all guns blazing looking for him and stopped dead at the sight of everyone having a drink and playing pool with their hard hats on  Laughing

44Lovely grub - Page 3 Empty Re: Lovely grub Mon Feb 27 2017, 12:11

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bread2.0 wrote:
Norpig wrote:Yes the chippy was next door and it is a thai place still i think, the pub closed a long long time ago probably back in the 90's sometime?

That place was mental.

It was right up there in the "guaranteed violent disorder" stakes with Chuffers in Farnworth and Nibblers in Horwich.

I only ever went in Funny's once or twice and it scared the shit out of me even back then when I was young and (relatively) fearless.
the fight i mentioned started when best mate had been attacked in a chippy by this bloke and my mates older brother waded in to Funnys kicking off, this then set off a chain reaction with everyone else starting a random fight  Very Happy

I can still remember the bouncers hiding behind the bar and one bloke being kicked from one side of the pub all the way to the door and out

It was really like the wild west brawls you've seen in Westerns!

45Lovely grub - Page 3 Empty Re: Lovely grub Mon Feb 27 2017, 14:40

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

just been flicking through the Lost pubs of Bolton website, lots of pubs i've been in and plenty from well before my time (Boncey will know them all), well worth a look

46Lovely grub - Page 3 Empty Re: Lovely grub Mon Feb 27 2017, 18:59

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:just been flicking through the Lost pubs of Bolton website, lots of pubs i've been in and plenty from well before my time (Boncey will know them all), well worth a look
Great site that. Remember a lot of them.
Here's Nat pulling pints in The Shakespeare in Farnworth.
Lovely grub - Page 3 ?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

47Lovely grub - Page 3 Empty Re: Lovely grub Tue Feb 28 2017, 23:11

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Norpig wrote:i went in there a few times as well SK, just for a drink though, no bowls  Very Happy
It wasn't bowls, it was football! Belting. We fucked the green up once big style with our boots on! Problem was my dad bowled there and he fucked me up when the green keeper grassed me and my mates up. Selfish bastard!

48Lovely grub - Page 3 Empty Re: Lovely grub Wed Mar 01 2017, 08:41

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I was briefly a member of Mortfield Angling Club when I was about 11 or 12.

I say briefly because I only fished there a couple of times because of the rats.

Huge bastards who used to sneak up on you in the reeds and try and steal your butties.

49Lovely grub - Page 3 Empty Re: Lovely grub Wed Mar 01 2017, 08:47

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i used to lodge with a bloke who spent nights on there breaders, he'd pack up his tent, chair and stove and sit out all night fishing, crazy if you ask me, never understood the attraction in fishing

50Lovely grub - Page 3 Empty Re: Lovely grub Wed Mar 01 2017, 08:56

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

To be honest, as far as coarse fishing goes, neither have I.

My Dad was well into his fishing and he tried getting me interested in it as a kid but I never got the bug really.

I do a bit of fly fishing now and again and I always take my light spinning tackle on holiday but I would never waste any time sat by a canal or a lodge because it's boring.

I've long had this dream about catching something (anything) in the Caribbean so I took my gear on holiday to the Dominican Republic last year and asked the skipper of the touristy catamaran we went on a day trip on if I could have a go on the way home and he said yes.

(Technically it was in the Atlantic but who's splitting hairs?)

So anyway, I cast out and within two minutes I had a fish on.

It wasn't huge but it was a good couple of pounds and it fulfilled my dream.

The only problem was it had teeth like Esther Rantzen so the crew jumped up and down on it before I could unhook it and get a picture.

I don't think they do "catch & release" over there...

They did say they were taking it home to eat though so that's fair enough I suppose.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum