Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can ALF be our new John McGinlay

5 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Can ALF be our new John McGinlay Empty Can ALF be our new John McGinlay Sat Mar 18 2017, 18:55

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Last time we were in this division we had a journeyman striker that until that point had played at several clubs in Div 2 and 3 and done Ok but hadn't truly found his home until coming to Bolton. There are some comparisons that could be made to Le Fondre, he has been to a few clubs, Rochdale, Rotherham, Reading and Cardiff to name a few, scored goals at most of them but then found himself out of the team or on the bench. The fans have taken to him and he wants to be here could ALF be a talisman for us same as Super John?

Last edited by NickFazer on Sat Mar 18 2017, 18:56; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Shite puntuation)

2Can ALF be our new John McGinlay Empty Re: Can ALF be our new John McGinlay Sat Mar 18 2017, 20:13

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Nobody can take Super John's place, but it would be nice if he continued to try.

3Can ALF be our new John McGinlay Empty Re: Can ALF be our new John McGinlay Sat Mar 18 2017, 22:55

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

It would be great if it happened but I don't think it will. The first obstacle is that we only have him on loan at the moment. If he continues to score goals he will be too expensive for us to buy.

4Can ALF be our new John McGinlay Empty Re: Can ALF be our new John McGinlay Sat Mar 18 2017, 23:54

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

McGinlay's record for us was roughly one in two.

And he did it over a hundred and ninety two games. (Some of which were in the Prem.)

ALF's tally is twelve in twenty six, so it's not far off currently.

Let's see if he can keep it up for the next one hundred and sixty six matches.

If he does, he will have earned his place in the Wanderers pantheon and I will salute him.

5Can ALF be our new John McGinlay Empty Re: Can ALF be our new John McGinlay Sun Mar 19 2017, 10:08

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

If we get promoted I have a feeling he will stay,all teams need a goal scorer and as long as the club can offer even a reasonable contract for a couple of seasons I don't think it will take too much persuading for him to sign. Could be wrong of course but he has spent too much time in recent seasons warming the bench.

6Can ALF be our new John McGinlay Empty Re: Can ALF be our new John McGinlay Sun Mar 19 2017, 10:34

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think the comparison is almost as much of a stretch as comparing Parky with the guy that brought McGinlay to us, Bruce Rioch.

In both cases a massively long journey ahead before they are anywhere near as successful.

And Rioch and McGinlay began their Bolton careers with a 2 nil cup victory at Anfield and promotion and followed it up with superb cup runs against top flight opposition in the following two seasons so maybe ALF and Parky can start to play catch up next year? Promotion this season would be the minimum requirement.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum