Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

John McGinlay challenges Gary Madine to prove he is a consistent Championship striker

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

John McGinlay has urged Gary Madine to take advantage of his second chance with Wanderers.

The Whites legend spoke up for Madine last summer as it appeared the striker was being lined-up for a move away from the Macron following a difficult first 12 months with the club.

Reinvented as top scorer and a key figure in the League One promotion campaign, the 26-year-old has now been rewarded with a new two-year deal and looks set to spearhead Phil Parkinson’s attack in the Championship.

But McGinlay – who netted 118 goals in his Bolton career – feels Madine is yet to realise his full potential.

“I genuinely think he’s got more in his locker,” he told The Bolton News. “The biggest thing he did, for me, was to acknowledge the respect the supporters gave to him.

“It’s very rare in this game to see people change their minds like that. And I’m delighted they did because I always felt he was a better player than he showed in his first season at Bolton.

“But he will know he’s got to pass the test in the Championship now. If he doesn’t do it consistently there will be people saying he’s a League One player – and I think he’s better than that.”

Last season’s success may have been motivated by a desire to avenge relegation but this year, McGinlay believes Madine has more incentive than most to prove himself once more.

“He should be 10-feet tall after last season, getting a new deal and all the praise which has come his way,” he said. “He has been the focal point of the team and his importance was highlighted more when he wasn’t involved.

“It is down to him now. He has all the support he needs to really push on and show what a player he can be.”

Elsewhere, Manchester City winger Bersant Celina has confirmed Leeds United have joined Wanderers and Ipswich Town in the race for his signature.

“The plan is to play in the Championship,” said the 20-year-old. “I’m going to try and find a club there.”

Asked of Wanderers, Leeds and Ipswich’s interest, he added: “It will be one of them. Then we’ll see.”

Meanwhile, reports linking the Whites with a move for Southend United midfielder Ryan Leonard are understood to be wide of the mark.

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum