Bolton Wanderers Fans Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Bolton Wanderers Banter » Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan

Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Tue Jun 27 2017, 16:13

BoltonTillIDie

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
BOLTON boss Phil Parkinson is winning the race for Australia’s captain and midfield general Mark Milligan.

Parkinson hopes to talk free agent Milligan into joining him as he flew in for talks after playing at the Confederations Cup.

Milligan, 31, is keen to come to test himself in the Championship after a spell in Middle East with Baniyas.

Bolton face competition for the Socceroos star and are keen to try and complete the move this week as it falls within their budget.

Birmingham City are also interested in the versatile midfielder.

Burton Albion, who are on the verge of re-signing Jake Buxton, are another club monitoring his situation.

Milligan moved up through the youth ranks at international level and played for the U20s and U23s before making his senior debut in 2006.

He currently has 59 caps for the senior Australia side.

And in the absence of Aston Villa’s Mile Jedinak, he skippered his country in the recent Confederations Cup in Russia.

His representatives are due in London this week to discuss his next move with potential suitors.

Meanwhile, Bolton have yet to sort out terms with Jay Spearing.

The former Liverpool man is out of contract and looks set to depart Wanderers.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Tue Jun 27 2017, 16:17

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
Never heard of him to be honest, anyone seen him play?



Last edited by Norpig on Tue Jun 27 2017, 16:20; edited 1 time in total

3 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Tue Jun 27 2017, 16:17

BoltonTillIDie

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay

4 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Tue Jun 27 2017, 16:21

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
BoltonTillIDie wrote:Milligan, 31, is keen to come to test himself in the Championship after a spell in Middle East with Baniyas.


I'd rather sign a Bamber Bridge player.

Is Baniyas even a place?

There's about as much chance of this guy doing well for BWFC as there is of Tony Kelly fitting into one of my size 8 dresses.

5 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Tue Jun 27 2017, 16:34

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Natasha Whittam wrote:
BoltonTillIDie wrote:Milligan, 31, is keen to come to test himself in the Championship after a spell in Middle East with Baniyas.




There's about as much chance of this guy doing well for BWFC as there is of Tony Kelly fitting into one of my size 8 dresses.
He told me he's a 'medium'.

6 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Tue Jun 27 2017, 18:40

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
boltonbonce wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:
BoltonTillIDie wrote:Milligan, 31, is keen to come to test himself in the Championship after a spell in Middle East with Baniyas.




There's about as much chance of this guy doing well for BWFC as there is of Tony Kelly fitting into one of my size 8 dresses.
He told me he's a 'medium'.
Probably true. His radio commentaries are like he's talking to the dead.

7 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Tue Jun 27 2017, 18:42

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Natasha Whittam wrote:
BoltonTillIDie wrote:Milligan, 31, is keen to come to test himself in the Championship after a spell in Middle East with Baniyas.


I'd rather sign a Bamber Bridge player.

Is Baniyas even a place?

There's about as much chance of this guy doing well for BWFC as there is of Tony Kelly fitting into one of my size 8 dresses.
If he's cheaper than Spearing I think we should get him because he can actually pass to his own teammates.

8 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Tue Jun 27 2017, 18:43

DEANO82


Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
wanderlust wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:
BoltonTillIDie wrote:Milligan, 31, is keen to come to test himself in the Championship after a spell in Middle East with Baniyas.


I'd rather sign a Bamber Bridge player.

Is Baniyas even a place?

There's about as much chance of this guy doing well for BWFC as there is of Tony Kelly fitting into one of my size 8 dresses.
If he's cheaper than Spearing I think we should get him because he can actually pass to his own teammates.
Tony Kelly?

9 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Mon Jul 03 2017, 15:22

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Heard a rumour that the move for Milligan has run into trouble due to work permit regulations. Hope it isn't true as he would be an improvement on Spearing IMO.

10 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Mon Jul 03 2017, 15:49

Bollotom2014

avatar
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Work permit to do with Oz not being in the top 50. He's got the qualifying matches but looks like FIFA don't rate Oz.

11 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Tue Jul 04 2017, 10:37

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Bollotom2014 wrote:Work permit to do with Oz not being in the top 50. He's got the qualifying matches but looks like FIFA don't rate Oz.
Fifa ranking shows Oz as 48 though (up two from 50) so maybe it's something else?

12 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Thu Jul 06 2017, 09:45

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Today's BN article states that FIFA take the average ranking of Oz over the last two years - which was over 50 - so doesn't look as if Milligan is coming to the club.
With the Spearing talks appearing to have stagnated it looks like we'll have to find someone else to do the job. Shame it's not likely to be Milligan as he would have done a cracking job for us IMO.

13 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Thu Jul 06 2017, 10:02

Bwfc1958

avatar
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!
Bullshit rule. These signings should be looked at on a case by case basis.

14 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Thu Jul 06 2017, 13:23

terenceanne

avatar
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf
What difference does it make if Aussie is 500th...what's that got to do with signing a player......more Fifa nonsense I'm afraid.

15 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Thu Jul 06 2017, 13:30

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
he's never played at a particularly high level so not fussed if he doesn't come, i would rather keep Spearing but that looks less likely with every day that passes.

16 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Thu Jul 06 2017, 14:04

observer


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Norpig wrote:he's never played at a particularly high level so not fussed if he doesn't come, i would rather keep Spearing but that looks less likely with every day that passes.

Spearing will sign if he doesn't get a better offer. Simple. KA set his price and if Spearing can do better, he will. Unlike Kevin Durant who passed up 9 million dollars more to stay with the Golden State Warriors! Then again, a two year deal worth 53 million dollars is nothing to cry about!

So we wait and see what Spearing and his agent can do... and if his value is worth more to someone else, so it will be. If not, we can sign him again. The proverbial ball is in his court. I just hope if he signs, he is the Spearing of last season, not the season before!


17 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Thu Jul 06 2017, 14:08

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
You can get 80/1 for Wanderers finishing in the top two. Any takers?

13/5 for relegation.

18 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Thu Jul 06 2017, 14:13

Sluffy

avatar
Admin
boltonbonce wrote:You can get 80/1 for Wanderers finishing in the top two. Any takers?

13/5 for relegation.

What were the odds when Leicester won the Premier League!

I'm sure some people will take a punt on it - in fact at 80/1 for a club in an embargo, warring owners and apparently little money - I'm surprised the odds are not a lot higher - probably a few taken better odds already!



19 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Thu Jul 06 2017, 14:28

observer


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Sluffy wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:You can get 80/1 for Wanderers finishing in the top two. Any takers?

13/5 for relegation.

What were the odds when Leicester won the Premier League!

I'm sure some people will take a punt on it - in fact at 80/1 for a club in an embargo, warring owners and apparently little money - I'm surprised the odds are not a lot higher - probably a few taken better odds already!




Hard to know what will happen until the deal is signed between the warring partners... the financials are filed... the embargo lifted... and then to see if there is any money to buy players. Maybe KA has an ace up his sleeve... but he is playing hardball (and I agree with him) to straighten the mess out. So where we will finish (as you rightly point out) is anyone's guess. Rooney can have a brilliant 10-year career here! Very Happy

20 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Thu Jul 06 2017, 19:59

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
terenceanne wrote:What difference does it make if Aussie is 500th...what's that got to do with signing a player......more Fifa nonsense I'm afraid.
I don't understand why they have to set any criteria at all because freedom of movement for work is already regulated by the laws of each recipient country and the number of foreign players is also regulated by the respective associations. If team wants a player from American Samoa or Lesotho there should be no further barriers because providing he meets the immigration criteria the risk is all with the club.
Stupid regulation - as a result of which we may end up paying over the odds for a hit and miss Scouse mercenary who can't pass.

21 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Thu Jul 06 2017, 23:09

Sluffy

avatar
Admin
wanderlust wrote:
terenceanne wrote:What difference does it make if Aussie is 500th...what's that got to do with signing a player......more Fifa nonsense I'm afraid.
I don't understand why they have to set any criteria at all because freedom of movement for work is already regulated by the laws of each recipient country and the number of foreign players is also regulated by the respective associations. If team wants a player from American Samoa or Lesotho there should be no further barriers because providing he meets the immigration criteria the risk is all with the club.
Stupid regulation - as a result of which we may end up paying over the odds for a hit and miss Scouse mercenary who can't pass.

Go on I'll bite again.

He has FAILED the immigration criteria.

It's the one that says the country he represents has to be in the top 50 in the world (over a two year average).

22 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Fri Jul 07 2017, 13:52

Reebok Trotter

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
terenceanne wrote:What difference does it make if Aussie is 500th...what's that got to do with signing a player......more Fifa nonsense I'm afraid.

Exactly. We signed Tim Ream from the USA and I doubt  they were in the top 50 at the time. What bloody difference does it make whether or not? scratch

23 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Fri Jul 07 2017, 15:52

finlaymcdanger


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
BoltonTillIDie wrote:

He's no Daniel Braaten

24 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Fri Jul 07 2017, 17:49

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Sluffy wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
terenceanne wrote:What difference does it make if Aussie is 500th...what's that got to do with signing a player......more Fifa nonsense I'm afraid.
I don't understand why they have to set any criteria at all because freedom of movement for work is already regulated by the laws of each recipient country and the number of foreign players is also regulated by the respective associations. If team wants a player from American Samoa or Lesotho there should be no further barriers because providing he meets the immigration criteria the risk is all with the club.
Stupid regulation - as a result of which we may end up paying over the odds for a hit and miss Scouse mercenary who can't pass.

Go on I'll bite again.

He has FAILED the immigration criteria.

It's the one that says the country he represents has to be in the top 50 in the world (over a two year average).

No he hasn't - that's FIFA rules not immigration criteria. You are confusing immigration criteria i.e. the right to live and work in Britain with the incredibly stupid FIFA criteria. FIFA cannot stop a person moving to Britain. They can stop that person playing for a football club. But as I've argued I can't see a sensible reason for having additional criteria. In fact I'd go as far as to suggest that FIFA rules are bordering on illegal.

25 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Fri Jul 07 2017, 23:16

Sluffy

avatar
Admin
wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
terenceanne wrote:What difference does it make if Aussie is 500th...what's that got to do with signing a player......more Fifa nonsense I'm afraid.
I don't understand why they have to set any criteria at all because freedom of movement for work is already regulated by the laws of each recipient country and the number of foreign players is also regulated by the respective associations. If team wants a player from American Samoa or Lesotho there should be no further barriers because providing he meets the immigration criteria the risk is all with the club.
Stupid regulation - as a result of which we may end up paying over the odds for a hit and miss Scouse mercenary who can't pass.

Go on I'll bite again.

He has FAILED the immigration criteria.

It's the one that says the country he represents has to be in the top 50 in the world (over a two year average).

No he hasn't - that's FIFA rules not immigration criteria. You are confusing immigration criteria i.e. the right to live and work in Britain with the incredibly stupid FIFA criteria. FIFA cannot stop a person moving to Britain. They can stop that person playing for a football club. But as I've argued I can't see a sensible reason for having additional criteria. In fact I'd go as far as to suggest that FIFA rules are bordering on illegal.

I've not got interest or inclination to argue over nothing either one of us can do anything about except to say in sport the respective governing bodies lay down the rules and the law courts tend to let them get on with it - hence the reason for being of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

Also (and stating the bleeding obvious) people of many nations are not allowed entry into this country without prior approval - an official visa issued by Her Majesty's Government - nor have the rights to work here - hence why we have the highly publicised issues with illegal migrants gaining entry into the UK for economic reasons!

But you of course know better than the football world's governing body, HM Government and all the other nations in the world.

Rolling Eyes

26 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Fri Jul 07 2017, 23:31

finlaymcdanger


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
JSluffy wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
terenceanne wrote:What difference does it make if Aussie is 500th...what's that got to do with signing a player......more Fifa nonsense I'm afraid.
I don't understand why they have to set any criteria at all because freedom of movement for work is already regulated by the laws of each recipient country and the number of foreign players is also regulated by the respective associations. If team wants a player from American Samoa or Lesotho there should be no further barriers because providing he meets the immigration criteria the risk is all with the club.
Stupid regulation - as a result of which we may end up paying over the odds for a hit and miss Scouse mercenary who can't pass.

Go on I'll bite again.

He has FAILED the immigration criteria.

It's the one that says the country he represents has to be in the top 50 in the world (over a two year average).

No he hasn't - that's FIFA rules not immigration criteria. You are confusing immigration criteria i.e. the right to live and work in Britain with the incredibly stupid FIFA criteria. FIFA cannot stop a person moving to Britain. They can stop that person playing for a football club. But as I've argued I can't see a sensible reason for having additional criteria. In fact I'd go as far as to suggest that FIFA rules are bordering on illegal.

I've not got interest or inclination to argue over nothing either one of us can do anything about except to say in sport the respective governing bodies lay down the rules and the law courts tend to let them get on with it - hence the reason for being of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

Also (and stating the bleeding obvious) people of many nations are not allowed entry into this country without prior approval - an official visa issued by Her Majesty's Government - nor have the rights to work here - hence why we have the highly publicised issues with illegal migrants gaining entry into the UK for economic reasons!

But you of course know better than the football world's governing body, HM Government and all the other nations in the world.

Rolling Eyes


Stuffy, are you on a mission to piss off absolutely everyone on here?

27 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Sat Jul 08 2017, 13:46

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Sluffy wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
terenceanne wrote:What difference does it make if Aussie is 500th...what's that got to do with signing a player......more Fifa nonsense I'm afraid.
I don't understand why they have to set any criteria at all because freedom of movement for work is already regulated by the laws of each recipient country and the number of foreign players is also regulated by the respective associations. If team wants a player from American Samoa or Lesotho there should be no further barriers because providing he meets the immigration criteria the risk is all with the club.
Stupid regulation - as a result of which we may end up paying over the odds for a hit and miss Scouse mercenary who can't pass.

Go on I'll bite again.

He has FAILED the immigration criteria.

It's the one that says the country he represents has to be in the top 50 in the world (over a two year average).

No he hasn't - that's FIFA rules not immigration criteria. You are confusing immigration criteria i.e. the right to live and work in Britain with the incredibly stupid FIFA criteria. FIFA cannot stop a person moving to Britain. They can stop that person playing for a football club. But as I've argued I can't see a sensible reason for having additional criteria. In fact I'd go as far as to suggest that FIFA rules are bordering on illegal.

I've not got interest or inclination to argue over nothing either one of us can do anything about except to say in sport the respective governing bodies lay down the rules and the law courts tend to let them get on with it - hence the reason for being of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
Then why do you keep starting pedantic arguments? And then going to enormous lengths in a failed attempt to justify yourself?

Even now you haven't got the grace to admit that you were and are barking up the wrong tree. 

By suggesting that people from certain nations won't qualify for immigration into the UK (Australia? Really?) you are admitting that my point about immigration into the UK was correct - and that the statement that you highlighted in order to make your point has nothing to do with FIFA's rules. You are basically arguing against yourself and I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve by doing it.

As for continually suggesting that you think that I think I know better than others you are just being a dick and everyone knows it. Your patronising bollocks is a very tired act now so please stop and let us post opinions without you interpreting them as anything other than what they are - opinions.

28 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Sat Jul 08 2017, 14:49

Sluffy

avatar
Admin
wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
terenceanne wrote:What difference does it make if Aussie is 500th...what's that got to do with signing a player......more Fifa nonsense I'm afraid.
I don't understand why they have to set any criteria at all because freedom of movement for work is already regulated by the laws of each recipient country and the number of foreign players is also regulated by the respective associations. If team wants a player from American Samoa or Lesotho there should be no further barriers because providing he meets the immigration criteria the risk is all with the club.
Stupid regulation - as a result of which we may end up paying over the odds for a hit and miss Scouse mercenary who can't pass.

Go on I'll bite again.

He has FAILED the immigration criteria.

It's the one that says the country he represents has to be in the top 50 in the world (over a two year average).

No he hasn't - that's FIFA rules not immigration criteria. You are confusing immigration criteria i.e. the right to live and work in Britain with the incredibly stupid FIFA criteria. FIFA cannot stop a person moving to Britain. They can stop that person playing for a football club. But as I've argued I can't see a sensible reason for having additional criteria. In fact I'd go as far as to suggest that FIFA rules are bordering on illegal.

I've not got interest or inclination to argue over nothing either one of us can do anything about except to say in sport the respective governing bodies lay down the rules and the law courts tend to let them get on with it - hence the reason for being of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
Then why do you keep starting pedantic arguments? And then going to enormous lengths in a failed attempt to justify yourself?

Even now you haven't got the grace to admit that you were and are barking up the wrong tree. 

By suggesting that people from certain nations won't qualify for immigration into the UK (Australia? Really?) you are admitting that my point about immigration into the UK was correct - and that the statement that you highlighted in order to make your point has nothing to do with FIFA's rules. You are basically arguing against yourself and I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve by doing it.

As for continually suggesting that you think that I think I know better than others you are just being a dick and everyone knows it. Your patronising bollocks is a very tired act now so please stop and let us post opinions without you interpreting them as anything other than what they are - opinions.

Funny how you've edited out half of my reply!!!

Anyway.

No-one can simply rock up to this country - they need to check first if HM Government will let them in and if so for what purpose.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If they want to work here as a footballer they are required to meet the FA's requirement, which in turn is set by their governing international body UEFA.

So if the person (Australian or not) doesn't fulfil that criteria (played in 75% of games for their country during the last two years - and that country has to have averaged being in the top 50 country's during that time) then they can't come to this country to WORK as a player.

It's that simple and as I've said originally he hasn't meet the required immigration criteria to play football here!!!

wanderlust wrote:I don't understand why they have to set any criteria at all because freedom of movement for work is already regulated by the laws of each recipient country and the number of foreign players is also regulated by the respective associations. If team wants a player from American Samoa or Lesotho there should be no further barriers because providing he meets the immigration criteria the risk is all with the club.

So if the blokes ONLY REASON to come to this country is to WORK AS A FOOTBALLER he won't be allowed in.

Have you got it now?

29 Re: Bolton winning race for Mark Milligan on Sat Jul 08 2017, 15:58

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Sluffy wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
Sluffy wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
terenceanne wrote:What difference does it make if Aussie is 500th...what's that got to do with signing a player......more Fifa nonsense I'm afraid.
I don't understand why they have to set any criteria at all because freedom of movement for work is already regulated by the laws of each recipient country and the number of foreign players is also regulated by the respective associations. If team wants a player from American Samoa or Lesotho there should be no further barriers because providing he meets the immigration criteria the risk is all with the club.
Stupid regulation - as a result of which we may end up paying over the odds for a hit and miss Scouse mercenary who can't pass.

Go on I'll bite again.

He has FAILED the immigration criteria.

It's the one that says the country he represents has to be in the top 50 in the world (over a two year average).

No he hasn't - that's FIFA rules not immigration criteria. You are confusing immigration criteria i.e. the right to live and work in Britain with the incredibly stupid FIFA criteria. FIFA cannot stop a person moving to Britain. They can stop that person playing for a football club. But as I've argued I can't see a sensible reason for having additional criteria. In fact I'd go as far as to suggest that FIFA rules are bordering on illegal.

I've not got interest or inclination to argue over nothing either one of us can do anything about except to say in sport the respective governing bodies lay down the rules and the law courts tend to let them get on with it - hence the reason for being of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
Then why do you keep starting pedantic arguments? And then going to enormous lengths in a failed attempt to justify yourself?

Even now you haven't got the grace to admit that you were and are barking up the wrong tree. 

By suggesting that people from certain nations won't qualify for immigration into the UK (Australia? Really?) you are admitting that my point about immigration into the UK was correct - and that the statement that you highlighted in order to make your point has nothing to do with FIFA's rules. You are basically arguing against yourself and I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve by doing it.

As for continually suggesting that you think that I think I know better than others you are just being a dick and everyone knows it. Your patronising bollocks is a very tired act now so please stop and let us post opinions without you interpreting them as anything other than what they are - opinions.

Funny how you've edited out half of my reply!!!

Anyway.

No-one can simply rock up to this country - they need to check first if HM Government will let them in and if so for what purpose.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If they want to work here as a footballer they are required to meet the FA's requirement, which in turn is set by their governing international body UEFA.

So if the person (Australian or not) doesn't fulfil that criteria (played in 75% of games for their country during the last two years - and that country has to have averaged being in the top 50 country's during that time) then they can't come to this country to WORK as a player.

It's that simple and as I've said originally he hasn't meet the required immigration criteria to play football here!!!

wanderlust wrote:I don't understand why they have to set any criteria at all because freedom of movement for work is already regulated by the laws of each recipient country and the number of foreign players is also regulated by the respective associations. If team wants a player from American Samoa or Lesotho there should be no further barriers because providing he meets the immigration criteria the risk is all with the club.

So if the blokes ONLY REASON to come to this country is to WORK AS A FOOTBALLER he won't be allowed in.

Have you got it now?
Yes I get it. I got it before my first post. Sadly you clearly don't get it at all.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum