Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are smileys in the workplace OK?

+2
boltonbonce
doffcocker
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Are smileys in the workplace OK? Empty Are smileys in the workplace OK? Sat Jul 15 2017, 21:14

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I'm not known for my professionalism in the office. I don't mind admitting that and I can't exactly judge others for poor professionalism so that's not the issue. I just simply can't stand emojis in emails. 

I recently started a new job in South Manchester and there just seems to be a massive culture of using emoticons all the bloody time. I mean it's not just the delicate flower types, we're talking butch, older men, throwing a colon-bracket in here, there and everywhere, almost just because they can. 

It wouldn't be as bad if these people didn't actually spend the average working day with a face like a smacked arse.

I'm only being honest, I see an "OK no problem all sorted Smile" or "Thanks for updating that spreadsheet Smile" and a part of me just dies inside. 

Is it just a pet hate of mine or can others relate?

2Are smileys in the workplace OK? Empty Re: Are smileys in the workplace OK? Sat Jul 15 2017, 21:56

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I use them on here,but never in emails.Are smileys in the workplace OK? Working-on-a-computer-smiley-emoticon

3Are smileys in the workplace OK? Empty Re: Are smileys in the workplace OK? Sun Jul 16 2017, 00:09

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I would never dream of using a smiley in my professional work capacity.

However it depends on the culture of the place where you are working.

If everyone uses them, then clearly that is an acceptable work practice.

It doesn't seem to set a professional tone imo and I doubt I would be ultimately happy to work in such a place myself.

I do however have the luxury of choosing whether or not I would want to stay at such employment, whereas most people need the money and will put up with far worse because of it.

4Are smileys in the workplace OK? Empty Re: Are smileys in the workplace OK? Sun Jul 16 2017, 15:02

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

doffcocker wrote:I'm not known for my professionalism in the office. I don't mind admitting that and I can't exactly judge others for poor professionalism so that's not the issue. I just simply can't stand emojis in emails. 

I recently started a new job in South Manchester and there just seems to be a massive culture of using emoticons all the bloody time. I mean it's not just the delicate flower types, we're talking butch, older men, throwing a colon-bracket in here, there and everywhere, almost just because they can. 

It wouldn't be as bad if these people didn't actually spend the average working day with a face like a smacked arse.

I'm only being honest, I see an "OK no problem all sorted Smile" or "Thanks for updating that spreadsheet Smile" and a part of me just dies inside. 

It's childish and pathetic.

All part of the creeping snowflake culture.

I totally agree with you.

Would John Wayne use emoticons?

5Are smileys in the workplace OK? Empty Re: Are smileys in the workplace OK? Sun Jul 16 2017, 15:07

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:I use them on here,but never in emails.Are smileys in the workplace OK? Working-on-a-computer-smiley-emoticon
Hi, can you please explain how you insert things into here..

I can do youtube stuff but after that I'm baffled.

6Are smileys in the workplace OK? Empty Re: Are smileys in the workplace OK? Sun Jul 16 2017, 15:12

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:
doffcocker wrote:I'm not known for my professionalism in the office. I don't mind admitting that and I can't exactly judge others for poor professionalism so that's not the issue. I just simply can't stand emojis in emails. 

It's childish and pathetic.

All part of the creeping snowflake culture.

I totally agree with you.

Would John Wayne use emoticons?
Would John Wayne write emails? Very Happy

7Are smileys in the workplace OK? Empty Re: Are smileys in the workplace OK? Sun Jul 16 2017, 15:13

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:I use them on here,but never in emails.Are smileys in the workplace OK? Working-on-a-computer-smiley-emoticon
Hi, can you please explain how you insert things into here..

I can do youtube stuff but after that I'm baffled.
There is a whole host of buttons above.

Try the photo and floppy disk icon to upload images! Smile

8Are smileys in the workplace OK? Empty Re: Are smileys in the workplace OK? Sun Jul 16 2017, 15:40

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

For pictures

- copy link

- click on the icon on the post reply box - the one that looks like a photo with a baby ball by its foot (must be a floppy disc as per Karly's post above).

- paste in the link

- click on insert

- then post (press send).

(I tend to look on preview first just in case I've cocked something up - so I can sort it and not look too much of an idiot - before I press send!).

Hope this helps.

9Are smileys in the workplace OK? Empty Re: Are smileys in the workplace OK? Sun Jul 16 2017, 15:47

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The copy image link is a green ball with a + in the centre.

The host image link has the floppy icon. Smile

10Are smileys in the workplace OK? Empty Re: Are smileys in the workplace OK? Sun Jul 16 2017, 15:49

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Many thanks. I'll try it later.

11Are smileys in the workplace OK? Empty Re: Are smileys in the workplace OK? Sun Jul 16 2017, 16:29

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Are smileys in the workplace OK? Unknow14

Who needs Brucie!!!

12Are smileys in the workplace OK? Empty Re: Are smileys in the workplace OK? Sun Jul 16 2017, 16:33

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:Are smileys in the workplace OK? Unknow14

Who needs Brucie!!!
Who is that?

He looks familiar...

13Are smileys in the workplace OK? Empty Re: Are smileys in the workplace OK? Sun Jul 16 2017, 16:35

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

MAX

14Are smileys in the workplace OK? Empty Re: Are smileys in the workplace OK? Sun Jul 16 2017, 16:36

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Are smileys in the workplace OK? 37083a10
Our new striker ?

15Are smileys in the workplace OK? Empty Re: Are smileys in the workplace OK? Sun Jul 16 2017, 16:37

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:MAX
Bygraves?

16Are smileys in the workplace OK? Empty Re: Are smileys in the workplace OK? Sun Jul 16 2017, 17:59

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Max Bygraves!

I'm not speaking for the rest of the day!

17Are smileys in the workplace OK? Empty Re: Are smileys in the workplace OK? Sun Jul 16 2017, 20:44

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:I'm not known for my professionalism in the office.

No, you're known as the resident gobshite on Bolton Nuts.

18Are smileys in the workplace OK? Empty Re: Are smileys in the workplace OK? Sun Jul 16 2017, 21:13

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
doffcocker wrote:I'm not known for my professionalism in the office.

No, you're known as the part time resident gobshite on Bolton Nuts.

19Are smileys in the workplace OK? Empty Re: Are smileys in the workplace OK? Mon Jul 17 2017, 16:39

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

So predictable how I pay the place a five minute visit and Whittam's already got her pole out.

20Are smileys in the workplace OK? Empty Re: Are smileys in the workplace OK? Mon Jul 17 2017, 19:54

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:So predictable how I pay the place a five minute visit and Whittam's already got her pole out.
The time to worry is when KP gets his pole out.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum