Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stephen Darby: Bolton Wanderers' defence can still dominate in Championship

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Stephen Darby cannot see any reason why Wanderers cannot keep up their impeccable defences in the Championship.

The summer signing from Bradford City couldn’t help but be impressed with League One’s meanest back line last season.

Phil Parkinson’s side conceded just 36 league goals last term, a record over 46 games, and also the best defensive record of any Bolton Wanderers manager during their first season.

Darby is looking forward to chipping in with the likes of David Wheater, Mark Beevers, Dorian Dervite and Andy Taylor – and feels the successful recipe can continue at the higher level.

Alex Bruce is also hoping to win a contract and is likely to feature in today’s visit to Fleetwood.

“It’s a settled unit,” he told The Bolton News. “You could see their qualities last season from the goalkeeper and the back line, all the way through. It was fantastic and it’s what they built their success on, a lot of clean sheets and being really, really hard to break down.

“It’s good for myself to come in and work with lads like Wheats and Beevs, I’m really excited about it. And I don’t see any reason why we can’t be hard to beat again. It is a higher level but there’s not one lad in the dressing room who doesn’t think he can raise his game. I certainly do.”

Although Darby started in the Premier League with Liverpool, he has not played at Championship level before.

His solid start to pre-season bodes well, however, and he is confident he can make the grade after spending the last five years at Valley Parade.

“As a footballer you always strive to be better,” he said. “That starts with training, you have to push yourself to the limit.”

Wanderers – still saddled with a transfer embargo - are among the bookmakers’ favourites to drop back into League One.

Darby believes survival should be the Whites’ primary aim.

“At this stage we’re just trying to be ready for that first game,” he said. “Longer-term, I suppose first and foremost you’d always want to stay in the league.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum