Bolton Wanderers Fans Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » The race card issue

The race card issue

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 The race card issue on Tue Aug 22 2017, 13:24

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
Now this may be a very sensitive subject and for the record i hate any kind of racism but i feel the race card seems to used far too much these days. I'll use a couple of examples before you all start a campaign to have be banned from here.

Eniola Aluko is in all the papers and online saying that Mark Sampson has insulted her racially which he denies and had been cleared in 2 separate enquiries, one of which she refused to take part in. She never reported this at the time of it allegedly happening and only brings it up now when Sampson has been cleared.

On a more personal experience, i had a nasty experience on a bus recently. 3 black girls got on the bus and one rushed on without paying or showing her pass. The bus driver refused to move until she came down and either paid or got off the bus. The 3 of them then went on a foul mouthed tirade towards the bus driver and other passengers and then starting telling the bus driver he was racist (he was white) and wouldn't do this to white girls. They did eventually get off but not before they started dropping the c-bomb in front of my kids which is when i lost my rag and told them to shut up.

I just feel that is too easy to fall back on the race card and use it. People are paranoid about being accused of any kind of discrimination and will shy away from any kind of incident like the one i was involved in. Throwing the race card deflects the real issue sometimes i feel.

Anyone else got a view on this or are you not touching this with a 10 foot bargepole?

2 Re: The race card issue on Tue Aug 22 2017, 14:02

Sluffy

avatar
Admin
It happens all the time Norpig.

Some years back now I worked for a local authority and one of my fellow managers was a Afro-Caribbean woman who openly flaunted the race card by doing no work what-so-ever and challenging the Management team that if they tried to do anything against her, that she as being both black AND a woman would create such a stink (tribunal, local press, union, fellow black workers) that nothing was ever done about her.

The situation however led to more junior black staff also learning how to play the race card when they wanted their own way over something at work.


It is even documented that the reason why the Rochdale 'grooming and raping of young women' case was held back for so long was because the police (and other agencies) wanted not to be perceived as 'non-PC' in the matter.

Like everything though it is only the few that spoil it for the many.

People are more afraid to be labelled racist than to do the right thing these days.



3 Re: The race card issue on Tue Aug 22 2017, 14:24

Angry Dad

avatar
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
Does'nt bother me I'll kick it around and call it as I see it. Look I think the way things are it's too easy to be labeled racist these day's, and I'll be honest and say there are things about some races that I dislike or get annoyed about and if that makes me racist to some sad buggers so be it. I saw that on the news and I feel the same about it. I and my colleagues at work have it all the time with some black people the usual it's cos I'm black or your racist mate without even mentioning the word black. Hey scots annoy me just about every race annoys me in some way but not the color of their skin. The professional offense  takers get right up my arse. Just because a guy is black does not mean I will treat him any different to a white guy in a situation but some are wary of it and treat them differently by that I mean letting them off easier than a white guy. I get annoyed with most people on a daily basis it's my thing. My wife at her restaurant has problems with a black kitchen worker he's lazy been warned and uses the race card so far he's still there.

4 Re: The race card issue on Tue Aug 22 2017, 18:02

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Is Eniola Aluko the one whose coach told her not to bring her Nigerian family in case they brought ebola virus? If that's true the coach is indeed a racist.

I sacked a guy once who then called me  racist so I told him how it was i.e. "you were sacked for piss poor performance so if you are saying that all Black British people perform poorly I'll take you to court and sue you for racism myself".

5 Re: The race card issue on Tue Aug 22 2017, 19:21

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
Is Eniola Aluko the one whose coach told her not to bring her Nigerian family in case they brought ebola virus? If that's true the coach is indeed a racist.


I'm not defending anyone here, but from one (alleged) comment, and without knowing in what context it was said, you are happy to brand someone a racist ? That's pathetic. 
In days gone by, and not too long ago, such a comment would/could have been made as a joke, admittedly not in the best of taste, but a joke nevertheless. He's been cleared by two investigations, and it seems strange that when she was being picked to play, his comments and behaviour were acceptable. If she had what she thinks is a genuine complaint, she should have brought it up at the time, but it would seem that it wasn't convenient at the time.

6 Re: The race card issue on Wed Aug 23 2017, 09:11

Dunkels King

avatar
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
A link to some of the details here. I have to admit I hadn't heard the one from Hodgson about "the Space Monkey". That's quite a funny joke and not at all racist.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/21/eni-aluko-england-manager-mark-sampson-ebola

7 Re: The race card issue on Wed Aug 23 2017, 09:21

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
wanderlust wrote:Is Eniola Aluko the one whose coach told her not to bring her Nigerian family in case they brought ebola virus? If that's true the coach is indeed a racist.

I sacked a guy once who then called me  racist so I told him how it was i.e. "you were sacked for piss poor performance so if you are saying that all Black British people perform poorly I'll take you to court and sue you for racism myself".
 But it's not racist though is it? If there were cases of Ebola in Nigeria at the time and it was in the news then yes it's in poor taste but it's not a racist comment.
Ebola could have broken out in Wales and if you said the same to a welsh person about their family would that be racist?

8 Re: The race card issue on Wed Aug 23 2017, 10:55

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
As a Welshman, I could have called the race card on many occasions, but why?  I don't need all these do-gooders to stand up for me, and I know Wales and the Welsh can stand up for themselves. We haven't whined in the background about discrimination, we've just got on with it. A sense of humour, a bit of practicality, and a nice friendly sheep solves all problems.  Very Happy

9 Re: The race card issue on Wed Aug 23 2017, 10:58

y2johnny

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
gloswhite wrote:As a Welshman, I could have called the race card on many occasions, but why?  I don't need all these do-gooders to stand up for me, and I know Wales and the Welsh can stand up for themselves. We haven't whined in the background about discrimination, we've just got on with it. A sense of humour, a bit of practicality, and a nice friendly sheep solves all problems.  Very Happy
You forgot your velcro gloves Wink

http://Www.thefacefittester.co.uk

10 Re: The race card issue on Wed Aug 23 2017, 11:01

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
And my braces for hooking over the ears  Very Happy

11 Re: The race card issue on Wed Aug 23 2017, 11:04

y2johnny

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
gloswhite wrote:And my braces for hooking over the ears  Very Happy
:rofl:

http://Www.thefacefittester.co.uk

12 Re: The race card issue on Wed Aug 23 2017, 11:16

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
Excuse me, can you sheep shaggers start up a separate thread for your exploits and sex tips please? This is a very serious thread i'll have you know  Very Happy

13 Re: The race card issue on Wed Aug 23 2017, 11:57

y2johnny

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

http://Www.thefacefittester.co.uk

14 Re: The race card issue on Wed Aug 23 2017, 14:40

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Norpig wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Is Eniola Aluko the one whose coach told her not to bring her Nigerian family in case they brought ebola virus? If that's true the coach is indeed a racist.

I sacked a guy once who then called me  racist so I told him how it was i.e. "you were sacked for piss poor performance so if you are saying that all Black British people perform poorly I'll take you to court and sue you for racism myself".
 But it's not racist though is it? If there were cases of Ebola in Nigeria at the time and it was in the news then yes it's in poor taste but it's not a racist comment.
Ebola could have broken out in Wales and if you said the same to a welsh person about their family would that be racist?
Of course it's racist when someone ascribes a condition or character trait to a colour, creed or ethnicity as in this case i.e. everyone within that group. 
He's characterising Nigerians as ebola-carriers regardless of whether the particular people involved had been in contact with ebola and the vast majority of Nigerians don't have ebola. If the coach had specific knowledge that the particular family members had ebola it wouldn't be racist, but he didn't - he just thought he was being funny by ascribing it to everyone in the country and that's racist i.e. the whole race.
Similarly, the vast majority of Muslims aren't radicalised, the vast majority of French don't eat frog's legs and the vast majority of Brits aren't pissed up wankers who can't handle their drink and are crap at fighting (which is what a lot of Russians think of us)
Racism is about tying everyone in a group to the same brush based simply on the perceived characteristics of some members of that group and it's offensive.

15 Re: The race card issue on Wed Aug 23 2017, 14:44

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
wanderlust wrote: the vast majority of Brits aren't pissed up wankers who can't handle their drink and are crap at fighting (which is what a lot of Russians think of us).

To be fair, I think that describes most members of Nuts pretty well.

16 Re: The race card issue on Wed Aug 23 2017, 17:28

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
Norpig wrote:Excuse me, can you sheep shaggers start up a separate thread for your exploits and sex tips please? This is a very serious thread i'll have you know  Very Happy
OK, I know you have different tastes, as shown by your forum name, but I'll keep a nice woolly sheep for you, just in case  Very Happy

17 Re: The race card issue on Wed Aug 23 2017, 17:32

y2johnny

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
gloswhite wrote:
Norpig wrote:Excuse me, can you sheep shaggers start up a separate thread for your exploits and sex tips please? This is a very serious thread i'll have you know  Very Happy
OK, I know you have different tastes, as shown by your forum name, but I'll keep a nice woolly sheep for you, just in case  Very Happy

http://Www.thefacefittester.co.uk

18 Re: The race card issue on Wed Aug 23 2017, 17:34

Bwfc1958

avatar
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!
Are you intentionally making blank posts Johnny? I've seen a few of them now. Or is there something I'm missing?

Edit - never mind, it was a slow loader.

19 Re: The race card issue on Wed Aug 23 2017, 17:35

y2johnny

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
refresh, i couldn't get the image thing to work but it is now!

http://Www.thefacefittester.co.uk

20 Re: The race card issue on Wed Aug 23 2017, 17:36

y2johnny

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Bwfc1958 wrote:Are you intentionally making blank posts Johnny? I've seen a few of them now. Or is there something I'm missing?

Edit - never mind, it was a slow loader.
worth the wait though eh! Very Happy

http://Www.thefacefittester.co.uk

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum