Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Former Bolton and West Ham star Joey O'Brien to make playing return against Bristol City Under-23s

+2
Natasha Whittam
Sluffy
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

JOEY O'Brien is poised to make a playing return for Wanderers NINE years since his last competitive outing for the club.
The 31-year-old Irishman has trained with Phil Parkinson's first team over the last fortnight and could be offered a permanent deal if he proves his fitness.
O'Brien has agreed to play for the Under-23s against Bristol City at Leyland tonight and has impressed the Wanderers boss since returning to the club.
“Joey has had two weeks training with us now and he’s going to play some of the Under-23s game," Parkinson confirmed at his press conference yesterday.

“He has got to dip his toe back into the water, so to speak, get out there and play.
“He has trained very well. He has had a long time out injured but he’s played at a very high level and he’s looked good since he came in."
O'Brien left Wanderers in 2011 after two serious knee injuries had restricted him to just 70 appearances spread over seven seasons.
He bounced back, however, in the colours of tomorrow night’s Carabao Cup opponents West Ham and featured another 105 times in all competitions, helping them back into the Premier League under Sam Allardyce.
He last featured for Wanderers in October 2008 in a 0-0 draw with Blackburn Rovers and has been looking for a new club since last summer.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/15542582.Ex_Wanderers_star_to_make_playing_return_in_development_squad_tonight/

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Will this club ever learn? How much money did we spunk away on this guy first time around. I absolutely guarantee you he'll sign a contract then get injured opening the milk. And be out for 2 years.

It's only a matter of time before we hear Mark Davies is making an appearance for the Under 23s.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm underwhelmed.

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Former Bolton and West Ham star!!

Was there ever a word as misused as this one? He wasn't a star ( that's reserved for KD, JayJay, Youri, Ivan Campo, Hierro,Frandsen and their ilk) not for common or garden journeymen like Joey O' Brien who couldn't play for more than three consecutive games because he had a permanent booking for the treatment bench.

If we wanted a full back then we should have kept Laurie Wilson

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He was pretty impressive at West Ham IMO. Played in a different position and enjoying an injury free period he did a cracking job for them. I remember thinking "why the hell was he never that good for us" and then I remembered he was always crocked and when he did play it was in a talented team where his workmanlike performances didn't stand out. But he's a battler and can definitely "put his foot in" when required. The only question for me is whether or not he still has the same engine to get up and down the park.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

To be fair he could do a decent job at right back or defensive midfielder.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:To be fair he could do a decent job at right back or defensive midfielder.

To be fair, he couldn't.

He hasn't played for ages BECAUSE HE WAS INJURED.

Signing him would be a huge mistake. It's injury prone ponces that contributed to the mess we're in right now.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ok fair enough, if he can prove his fitness then just give him a pay as you play deal then, but on one leg he will still be better than Pratley

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Ok fair enough, if he can prove his fitness then just give him a pay as you play deal then, but on one leg he will still be better than Pratley

You're better than Pratley.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Norpig wrote:Ok fair enough, if he can prove his fitness then just give him a pay as you play deal then, but on one leg he will still be better than Pratley

You're better than Pratley.
That is true  Very Happy

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The U23s won a close game against Bristol City 1 nil but has anyone got a report on how O'Brien did? All I can find is a report on the Bristol site and there's no mention of any Bolton players apart from Obi who scored.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:The U23s won a close game against Bristol City 1 nil but has anyone got a report on how O'Brien did? All I can find is a report on the Bristol site and there's no mention of any Bolton players apart from Obi who scored.
Thanks for posting it BTID.

Doesn't sound like Joey O'B was ripping up any trees though.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum