Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Take a letter Miss Jones.

+6
Chairmanda
Norpig
Bollotom2014
wanderlust
okocha
boltonbonce
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Take a letter Miss Jones. Empty Take a letter Miss Jones. Thu Sep 21 2017, 19:48

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I can't remember the last time I sent,or received a letter.

The only envelopes that come through my letter box contain bills/statements/adverts.

Has the art of letter writing finally died? Has the email and text revolution killed it off?

A bit sad really,because emails can feel so impersonal.

2Take a letter Miss Jones. Empty Re: Take a letter Miss Jones. Thu Sep 21 2017, 20:54

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

We write letters at Christmas. An email that could be sent at a stroke to all comers would feel distinctly impersonal at this time, as Bonce suggests.

3Take a letter Miss Jones. Empty Re: Take a letter Miss Jones. Fri Sep 22 2017, 01:33

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

TBH I usually prefer to talk directly to people these days and that's been made possible by Skype and Facetime etc. Nowadays I can chat face to face with my family and friends and if anything it's increased the frequency of contact which is a blessing.

There is more choice nowadays as people can still write if they want to.

4Take a letter Miss Jones. Empty Re: Take a letter Miss Jones. Fri Sep 22 2017, 01:54

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I do think writing is a way of clearing the mind and allowing for more intimacy than either texting or messaging. Facetime and Skype looks to be okay for instant comms. I write to my Mum twice a week, speak to my Dad and Sis on the phone or text. It depends how I feel. But I have to admit I like to receive letters, and parcels with home baked cakes.

5Take a letter Miss Jones. Empty Re: Take a letter Miss Jones. Fri Sep 22 2017, 08:43

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I had to write a letter to my Sons school as he won't be in on Monday and that must be first letter i've written in a good few years. I couldn't remember the etiquette of how you finish a letter - yours faithfully or yours sincerely  Very Happy

6Take a letter Miss Jones. Empty Re: Take a letter Miss Jones. Fri Sep 22 2017, 09:34

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

If you begin, "Dear Sir/Madam", you end, "Yours faithfully."

If you begin, "Dear .....(name)", you sign off, "Yours sincerely."

All a bit formal, Norpig.

"Yours truly" covers you if you forget.

7Take a letter Miss Jones. Empty Re: Take a letter Miss Jones. Fri Sep 22 2017, 09:40

Chairmanda

Chairmanda
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I had to do something recently which involved a lot of writing...I was totally rubbish, I can't remember the last time I had to hand write rather than type something, and my cursive script was nearly illegible. I wonder if schools will stop teaching it?

8Take a letter Miss Jones. Empty Re: Take a letter Miss Jones. Fri Sep 22 2017, 10:19

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:If you begin, "Dear Sir/Madam", you end, "Yours faithfully."

If you begin, "Dear .....(name)", you sign off, "Yours sincerely."

All a bit formal, Norpig.

"Yours truly" covers you if you forget.
Think i got it wrong then! I addressed it as Dear Mr ..... and then ended with yours faithfully

9Take a letter Miss Jones. Empty Re: Take a letter Miss Jones. Fri Sep 22 2017, 10:29

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Think i got it wrong then! I addressed it as Dear Mr ..... and then ended with yours faithfully

The teacher will be thinking '..what chance has little Norpig got'.

10Take a letter Miss Jones. Empty Re: Take a letter Miss Jones. Fri Sep 22 2017, 10:30

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Little Norpig is the name i have for something else remember?  Laughing

11Take a letter Miss Jones. Empty Re: Take a letter Miss Jones. Fri Sep 22 2017, 10:31

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I write numerous letters per week. Usually complaints to people or companies that have wronged me. Sluffy is usually top of my hit list.

The power of the written word is still huge.

12Take a letter Miss Jones. Empty Re: Take a letter Miss Jones. Fri Sep 22 2017, 10:31

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Norpig wrote:Think i got it wrong then! I addressed it as Dear Mr ..... and then ended with yours faithfully

The teacher will be thinking '..what chance has little Norpig got'.
Nowadays, its quite likely that the teacher didn't know either.

13Take a letter Miss Jones. Empty Re: Take a letter Miss Jones. Fri Sep 22 2017, 10:31

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Little Norpig is the name i have for something else remember?  Laughing

Ok, he'll be known as Norpig Jr from now on.

14Take a letter Miss Jones. Empty Re: Take a letter Miss Jones. Fri Sep 22 2017, 10:32

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Do you write them in blood for extra effect Nat?

15Take a letter Miss Jones. Empty Re: Take a letter Miss Jones. Fri Sep 22 2017, 10:37

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Do you write them in blood for extra effect Nat?

Yes, but not mine.

Cecil is looking rather pale these days.

16Take a letter Miss Jones. Empty Re: Take a letter Miss Jones. Tue Jan 15 2019, 09:05

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've been forced to write a letter. 
After being charged £93 for a service guarantee on a piece of electrical equipment, a guarantee I didn't consent to purchasing, I got in touch with the company to cancel it.
Fine they said, but we can't do it over the phone. Nor could they do it by email.
No. In the age of instant communication, I'd have to write a letter. So that's what I've done.
How very quaint.

17Take a letter Miss Jones. Empty Re: Take a letter Miss Jones. Tue Jan 15 2019, 09:24

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

It will be easier for them to deny receiving it than an email.

18Take a letter Miss Jones. Empty Re: Take a letter Miss Jones. Tue Jan 15 2019, 11:02

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:It will be easier for them to deny receiving it than an email.
That's what I thought. Crafty bastards.

19Take a letter Miss Jones. Empty Re: Take a letter Miss Jones. Tue Jan 15 2019, 11:19

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So send the letter special delivery so it has a signature!

20Take a letter Miss Jones. Empty Re: Take a letter Miss Jones. Tue Jan 15 2019, 11:21

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:

So send the letter special delivery so it has a signature!

What's wrong with doing it over the phone, or by email. They don't offer a reason why this isn't possible.
Seems simple to me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum