Bolton Wanderers Fans Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Bolton Wanderers Banter » Octoberfest

Octoberfest

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Octoberfest on Wed Sep 27 2017, 16:37

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
With all this talk about relegation, sacking Parky and our inability to score goals I was wondering where we might find a scintilla of hope - and decided to put my faith in October.

In October we have 4 winnable games against mediocre opposition.
We will probably have a full squad to pick from.
All the players will have had a rest after the international break.
Henry will have bedded into the team.
There will have been plenty of time to work on systems.
We will be desperate to get points on the board seeing as November's fixtures are really tough and the players and manager will have no excuses not to perform.

If there is going to be any kind of renaissance this season, it really does have to happen in October.

OK I'm clutching at straws but to be honest, our October schedule is looking like the only straw in town ATM. 

Anyone else think we still have a chance of turning the corner?

2 Re: Octoberfest on Wed Sep 27 2017, 16:45

Norpig

avatar
John McGinlay
John McGinlay
no  Very Happy

3 Re: Octoberfest on Wed Sep 27 2017, 17:29

luckyPeterpiper

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Maybe. A lot will depend on how the players use the international break. If I was Parky I'd have them in for extra training and spend the time drilling a system into their heads that they all understand and will adhere to. I think we'll need to treat this as a 35 game season rather than 46 and clean the slate for everyone. We're not actually all that far adrift on points and one decent run could see us up to mid table. We all know and have seen this division throw up some very strange results so I'm not giving up on survival yet by any means. In all truth I doubt we can get much above 20th in May but for now I'd certainly take that and if we CAN acquire a couple of decent additions in January I'd say we have a very real chance of doing it.

4 Re: Octoberfest on Wed Sep 27 2017, 18:28

Reebok Trotter

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
We need to start by getting three points away at Villa.

5 Re: Octoberfest on Wed Sep 27 2017, 18:55

luckyPeterpiper

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Reebok Trotter wrote:We need to start by getting three points away at Villa.
I think that's unlikely given Villa's form but it WOULD help if we could. A nice morale boost going into the break would be very welcome indeed.

6 Re: Octoberfest on Wed Sep 27 2017, 19:11

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I'll be happy to keep the score in single figures.

7 Re: Octoberfest on Wed Sep 27 2017, 19:13

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I'd just like us to score a goal. A scramble over the line would do.

Is that too much to ask?

8 Re: Octoberfest on Wed Sep 27 2017, 20:15

observer


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
boltonbonce wrote:I'd just like us to score a goal. A scramble over the line would do.

Is that too much to ask?
Apparently, YES! Need Santa to show up early this year and gift us some goals. santa

9 Re: Octoberfest on Wed Sep 27 2017, 20:33

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
It's going to be a record breaking season.

Just....not in a good way.

10 Re: Octoberfest on Wed Sep 27 2017, 20:35

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Bread2.0 wrote:It's going to be a record breaking season.

Why, are you going to an actual real life match?

11 Re: Octoberfest on Wed Sep 27 2017, 20:41

doffcocker

avatar
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
I don't think we will score a goal in October or pick up any points.

12 Re: Octoberfest on Wed Sep 27 2017, 21:57

finlaymcdanger

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
wanderlust wrote:With all this talk about relegation, sacking Parky and our inability to score goals I was wondering where we might find a scintilla of hope - and decided to put my faith in October.

In October we have 4 winnable games against mediocre opposition.
We will probably have a full squad to pick from.
All the players will have had a rest after the international break.
Henry will have bedded into the team.
There will have been plenty of time to work on systems.
We will be desperate to get points on the board seeing as November's fixtures are really tough and the players and manager will have no excuses not to perform.

If there is going to be any kind of renaissance this season, it really does have to happen in October.

OK I'm clutching at straws but to be honest, our October schedule is looking like the only straw in town ATM. 

Anyone else think we still have a chance of turning the corner?


Mediocre is something we can only aspire to at the moment.

Out of interest Lusty, which October fixtures do you see as winnable because I'm struggling to wrestle a single point from these games?

October Fixtures
Wednesday (h)
QPR (h)
Fulham (a)
Sunderland (a)

scratch

13 Re: Octoberfest on Wed Sep 27 2017, 22:22

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Natasha Whittam wrote:
Bread2.0 wrote:It's going to be a record breaking season.

Why, are you going to an actual real life match?

Do you think I'm fucking stupid?

14 Re: Octoberfest on Wed Sep 27 2017, 23:00

luckyPeterpiper

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
finlay I can see a point from each of the two home games, a drubbing by fulham and maybe a point but more likely a loss to sunderland. That said the break may be just what we need and with a full strength (such as it is squad) to pick from when we come back we may do much better than that.

15 Re: Octoberfest on Wed Sep 27 2017, 23:10

observer


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
luckyPeterpiper wrote:finlay I can see a point from each of the two home games, a drubbing by fulham and maybe a point but more likely a loss to sunderland. That said the break may be just what we need and with a full strength (such as it is squad) to pick from when we come back we may do much better than that.
We need to find a goal scorer/poacher/shooter... who doesn't hit the post, the side netting, or sky it over the net. We need better service. We need to defend better. I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two other things. But as everyone points out, 2-3 wins in a row would put us back in the mix. Without scoring, I fear that will not happen. Who can we acquire who is a free agent who knows how to score (and that does not mean Nat)!

16 Re: Octoberfest on Thu Sep 28 2017, 15:23

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
finlaymcdanger wrote:
Out of interest Lusty, which October fixtures do you see as winnable because I'm struggling to wrestle a single point from these games?

October Fixtures
Wednesday (h)
QPR (h)
Fulham (a)
Sunderland (a)

scratch
IF Vela is back and IF Parky goes with and works on a system that puts us further up the park and IF we get a bit of luck then we might win both home games and get draws away. 

Not enough to get us out of the drop zone but enough to keep us on the pace.

17 Re: Octoberfest on Fri Sep 29 2017, 07:44

finlaymcdanger

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
wanderlust wrote:
finlaymcdanger wrote:
Out of interest Lusty, which October fixtures do you see as winnable because I'm struggling to wrestle a single point from these games?

October Fixtures
Wednesday (h)
QPR (h)
Fulham (a)
Sunderland (a)

scratch
IF Vela is back and IF Parky goes with and works on a system that puts us further up the park and IF we get a bit of luck then we might win both home games and get draws away. 

Not enough to get us out of the drop zone but enough to keep us on the pace.

Lusty? You're crackers, mate. 8 points (and 3 IFs) in October? You do know we currently have 2 from 10 games, right? Properly crackers.

18 Re: Octoberfest on Fri Sep 29 2017, 09:27

Dunkels King

avatar
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
The current situation reminds me of when we went down to League 1. Every game I was thinking ok we will get something out of this and start climbing up the table. It didn't happen. The only problem this time is that we look worse than two years ago.  If we get anything out of those games I can imagine it will be one point in a 0-0 at home to QPR. I don't think we have a chance in any of the others.

19 Re: Octoberfest on Fri Sep 29 2017, 11:50

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
finlaymcdanger wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
finlaymcdanger wrote:
Out of interest Lusty, which October fixtures do you see as winnable because I'm struggling to wrestle a single point from these games?

October Fixtures
Wednesday (h)
QPR (h)
Fulham (a)
Sunderland (a)

scratch
IF Vela is back and IF Parky goes with and works on a system that puts us further up the park and IF we get a bit of luck then we might win both home games and get draws away. 

Not enough to get us out of the drop zone but enough to keep us on the pace.

Lusty? You're crackers, mate. 8 points (and 3 IFs) in October? You do know we currently have 2 from 10 games, right? Properly crackers.
You mean properly optimistic providing all those ducks line up. As you say, it's a lot of "ifs" which is why I wrote we "might" get those results. But we're going to need some radical change if it has any chance of happening and surely Parky has got to the point where he realises that change is essential now.

20 Re: Octoberfest on Fri Sep 29 2017, 17:14

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Dunkels King wrote:The current situation reminds me of when we went down to League 1. Every game I was thinking ok we will get something out of this and start climbing up the table. It didn't happen. The only problem this time is that we look worse than two years ago.  If we get anything out of those games I can imagine it will be one point in a 0-0 at home to QPR. I don't think we have a chance in any of the others.

This man's opinion should be listened to and respected.

His mother taught me to read.

Wonderful lady.

21 Re: Octoberfest on Sun Oct 01 2017, 11:53

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I feel encouraged by the performance against the Villa but now Parky has two weeks in which to build on it and get us ready for the Wednesday game which I think is a must win. Burton and Brum both play on Friday the 13th and if they lose and we get the points on Saturday there will be a whole new vibe about the team going into the QPR match. This parrot ain't quite dead yet.

22 Re: Octoberfest on Sun Oct 01 2017, 15:49

Cajunboy

avatar
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Bread2.0 wrote:
Dunkels King wrote:The current situation reminds me of when we went down to League 1. Every game I was thinking ok we will get something out of this and start climbing up the table. It didn't happen. The only problem this time is that we look worse than two years ago.  If we get anything out of those games I can imagine it will be one point in a 0-0 at home to QPR. I don't think we have a chance in any of the others.

This man's opinion should be listened to and respected.

His mother taught me to read.

Wonderful lady.
I bet she didn't teach you all that foul language.

23 Re: Octoberfest on Sun Oct 01 2017, 15:59

Cajunboy

avatar
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
wanderlust wrote:I feel encouraged by the performance against the Villa but now Parky has two weeks in which to build on it and get us ready for the Wednesday game which I think is a must win. Burton and Brum both play on Friday the 13th and if they lose and we get the points on Saturday there will be a whole new vibe about the team going into the QPR match. This parrot ain't quite dead yet.
I feel strangely upbeat after yesterdays performance, although perhaps it's the thought of the two week break I'm benefiting from.

Hopefully with Vela back and Henry plus Ameobi settling in, the team will be stronger.

Sadly Madine and Alf are not going to provide the number of goals we need to survive.  Last season our defenders really got many of our goals from set play, it's to be hoped they can get forward and do the same again.  I realise it's not as easy in the Championship for the big men to get forward and bombard the opposition.

Or am I just deluded.

24 Re: Octoberfest on Sun Oct 15 2017, 10:43

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
finlaymcdanger wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
finlaymcdanger wrote:
Out of interest Lusty, which October fixtures do you see as winnable because I'm struggling to wrestle a single point from these games?

October Fixtures
Wednesday (h)
QPR (h)
Fulham (a)
Sunderland (a)

scratch
IF Vela is back and IF Parky goes with and works on a system that puts us further up the park and IF we get a bit of luck then we might win both home games and get draws away. 

Not enough to get us out of the drop zone but enough to keep us on the pace.

Lusty? You're crackers, mate. 8 points (and 3 IFs) in October? You do know we currently have 2 from 10 games, right? Properly crackers.
It's a start, but we did need the three "ifs" especially the bit of luck I mentioned.
Essential we now build on it with a result against QPR which means the players mustn't get carried away with their first victory and repeat the workrate they delivered against Wednesday - we are deep in one game at a time territory.

25 Re: Octoberfest on Sat Oct 21 2017, 16:57

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I guess the only positive is we have 4 points from 2 games so far in October, but we are still way off where we need to be.

26 Re: Octoberfest on Sat Oct 21 2017, 17:00

finlaymcdanger

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
wanderlust wrote:I guess the only positive is we have 4 points from 2 games so far in October, but we are still way off where we need to be.

4 points more than I expected. Vela and Ameobi still getting match fit so I expect us to continue with the improvement. At least we're actually picking up points

27 Re: Octoberfest on Sat Oct 28 2017, 17:03

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Almost back on track with the Octoberfest prediction. We'll just have to win at Sunderland now.

28 Re: Octoberfest on Fri Nov 03 2017, 15:17

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
finlaymcdanger wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
finlaymcdanger wrote:
Out of interest Lusty, which October fixtures do you see as winnable because I'm struggling to wrestle a single point from these games?

October Fixtures
Wednesday (h)
QPR (h)
Fulham (a)
Sunderland (a)

scratch
IF Vela is back and IF Parky goes with and works on a system that puts us further up the park and IF we get a bit of luck then we might win both home games and get draws away. 

Not enough to get us out of the drop zone but enough to keep us on the pace.

Lusty? You're crackers, mate. 8 points (and 3 IFs) in October? You do know we currently have 2 from 10 games, right? Properly crackers.
It didn't quite work out as hoped but at least we went through the entire month without losing albeit with 6 points instead of eight and as Fin points out, we'd have been "crackers" to have expected that back in September.
Hopefully November won't be as grim as we might expect and we're still in touch when December's mixed bag comes around.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum