Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

David Wheater desperate to end Bolton Wanderers' goal hunt against Sheffield Wednesday

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

David Wheater is keen to be the man to end Wanderers’ goal drought.

The big defender, who weighed in with nine strikes in last season’s promotion from League One, has yet to hit the target this season.

Phil Parkinson’s side have not hit the back of the net in their last eight games and have scored fewer goals than any other team outside the Premier League.

Jem Karacan was the last Wanderer to score in a 3-2 win over Sheffield Wednesday in the Carabao Cup. And with the Owls in town again this weekend, Wheater is confident the barren streak will come to an end.

“We’ve got ourselves into this situation, now we have to get ourselves out of it.” He told The Bolton News. “I scored a few last season but it took me a while to get the first one, at Millwall, so hopefully I have got one or two in me again.

“It would be lovely to get that first goal and I don’t care how it comes.

“We want to get out there and start putting things right.”

Wheater admits he hit fitness problems at the start of the campaign, which contributed to a six-game absence.

“I had a flare-up in my back, just from all the running in pre-season,” he said. “I hate being out injured so I tried playing through it and didn’t tell the physios but it got too much in the end.

“I’m fine now and I think Josh (Vela) and Sammy (Ameobi) being back will be massive for us. We know we should have more points on the board.”

The return to contention of Vela, Ameobi, Will Buckley and Stephen Darby should give Parkinson his strongest squad yet this season – and Wheater remains confident there is enough quality at his disposal to challenge in the Championship.

“We knew it would be tough this season after getting promoted last year, the gaffer has worked wonders without having a penny to spend,” he said. “He can see we’ve been trying hard, we don’t want to be in this situation.

“The international break is fine, and it’s nice to get a couple of days off, but we all just want to be out there putting things right, trying to get that first win. From Monday, that’s what we have to aim for.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum