Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How Ian McNeill set legend John McGinlay on the road to success

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers legend John McGinlay has thanked Ian McNeill for putting his footballing career back on the map.

McGinlay has joined the chorus of tributes paid to the late Burnden Park chief scout, who passed away on Friday night at the age of 85.

McNeill was responsible for unearthing a plethora of talents for Bruce Rioch and Colin Todd and was an integral part of the Whites’ backroom as the club rose through the leagues in the early to mid-nineties.

At Bolton he picked out talents such as Owen Coyle, Mixu Paatelainen, Nathan Blake, Alan Thompson, David Lee, Gudni Bergsson and Sasa Curcic but also found bargains at Chelsea and Leeds United such as David Speedie, Gordon Durie and Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink.

McNeill had a long managerial career and it was during a three-year stint at Shrewsbury Town that he picked up a 25-year-old McGinlay, then plying his trade in the Highland League for Elgin City.

“Ian had watched me a few times because I’d been scoring goals, and his son – also called Ian – had come up to see me play again,” he told The Bolton News.

“Gerry Gow, who had been my manager at Yeovil Town, had just taken a job at Weymouth and said he wanted to sign me. In fact, I was due to pick him up at the airport.

“Ian read in the paper about the deal and the next thing I know I’m being told a chap called McNeill wants to sign me – I thought it was Billy and I was going to Celtic.

“When they told me it was Shrewsbury, I’ll be honest, I had no idea where that was.

“But I spoke to Ian on the phone, he told me what he had planned. I still had to pick Gerry up and tell him I wasn’t going to sign.

“From there he was such a big part of my career, and of course he was a big character at Burnden Park behind the scenes when I eventually got there. He was a father figure to me and I don’t think he ever really got the credit he deserved for the job he did at Bolton.”

Back before sprawling scouting networks went digital and footage could be accessed at the touch of a button, McNeill’s tireless work ethic made him one of the game’s most highly-rated talent spotters.

“It’s a job where networks are so important,” said McGinlay, who has also scouted for Scotland and Wigan Athletic, among others. “Ian would think nothing of jumping on a plane or driving 200-300 miles to go and watch a reserve game if he had a tip off. He was constantly on the road.

“In that job you have to be first in, there’s not often a second chance.”

The Glaswegian’s relationship with Rioch was such that few questions were asked if he strongly recommended a player he had been watching.

“Such was the trust Bruce had in him, if he thought a player was worth signing and the finances were there, he’d agree on the spot. He wouldn’t question his judgement at all.

“That relationship is so important between a manager and his recruitment staff, and it’s quite rare too.”

McNeill’s funeral will be held in his hometown of Aberdeen on Monday. McGinlay, Bruce Rioch and other ex-Wanderers players are making the trip to pay their respects.

“When I came back from America a few years ago it was one of the first things I did,” McGinlay said. “I took my son, Craig, and visited my dad’s grave and then to see him on his 80th birthday. He was in great spirits and telling stories about all the lads he’d worked with.

“I know everyone says it when someone has passed away but he was a very special man and had the respect of every single person in the place.

“He certainly played a significant part in my own career and I’d say his impact on Bolton Wanderers Football Club was a considerable one too when he see the players he brought in.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum