Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton

+8
Norpig
rammywhite
Natasha Whittam
Growler
observer
MartinBWFC
Sluffy
karlypants
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton  Empty Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton Tue Dec 26 2017, 14:09

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by karlypants on Tue Dec 26 2017, 17:40; edited 3 times in total

2Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton  Empty Re: Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton Tue Dec 26 2017, 14:12

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Radio Nuts is now live via the following link here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

3Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton  Empty Re: Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton Tue Dec 26 2017, 17:39

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Report: Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton Wanderers

Wanderers slipped to a Boxing Day defeat at the hands of Middlesbrough at the Riverside Stadium on Tuesday afternoon.

Following a goalless first half, the deadlock was broken by the hosts within four minutes of the restart as Martin Braithwaite's effort deflected off David Wheater and over Ben Alnwick.

And their advantage was doubled in the 68th minute as Britt Assombalonga fired home from an angle - a scoreline which remained as such come full time.

TEAM NEWS

Craig Noone, who came off the bench to help Wanderers pick up three points against former club Cardiff City at the weekend, was rewarded with a role in the starting XI with Will Buckley swapping places on the bench.

It was just the one change for Phil Parkinson’s men who were looking to build on their victory against the Welshmen.

FIRST HALF

The opening exchanges passed without any incident for either team who were each looking to settle into their rhythm.

Cyrus Christie could have put his side ahead in the tenth minute though when he was permitted to run into a dangerous area by the Wanderers defence. His left-footed curler went narrowly wide to give the visitors a reprieve.

Andrew Taylor, playing against his hometown club, received the game’s first caution after a late challenge on Britt Assombalonga, who required treatment.

Gary Madine registered the visitors’ first effort at goal when his looped header from a Karl Henry free-kick went just over Darren Randolph’s cross bar.

The Wanderers frontman was at the forefront of everything his side had to show in the final third of the field.

Assombalonga tried to deceive Ben Alnwick with a back-heeled flick after Patrick Bamford got behind the Wanderers defence, but the big striker didn’t get enough power to trouble the ‘keeper.

However, the visitors were beginning to cause problems for Boro. particularly at set plays. Vela was unlucky to see his goalbound shot take a deflection off Fabio after Sammy Ameobi had stolen possession on the right flank.

Johnny Howson was booked after grabbing hold of Ameobi who threatened to break away with the ball after being gifted possession.

Martin Braithwaite had a great chance to break the deadlock after getting in behind the Wanderers defence but his effort flashed across the face of goal before going out for a goalkick.

Wanderers lost the services of Taylor after 36 minutes through an injury. Antonee Robinson came on for the defender.

Moments later, Alnwick made a stunning save with his feet to keep out Bamford who had been put through and was one-on-one with the Wanderers shot stopper.

SECOND HALF

An ambitious 30-yard strike from Ameobi greeted the second-half but the ball was never in danger of troubling Randolph.

But the opening goal came via the hosts after 49 minutes when Braithwaite’s strike took an inadvertent deflection off David Wheater to beat Alnwick and put Boro in the driving seat.

Buckley came on for Noone after 62 minutes as Parkinson made his second change of the game.

Assombalonga grabbed Boro’s second with a tidy finish after powering in from the right flank with just over twenty minutes of the match remaining.

The second goal had given Boro a swagger that wasn’t seen during the first half and Wanderers simply struggled to cause them any problems.

Wanderers’ final substitution of the afternoon came in the guise of Aaron Wilbraham who replaced Madine with 15 minutes of the game remaining.

But Wanderers were unable to salvage anything from the game and will close out 2017 with a trip to Bramall Lane on Saturday against Sheffield United.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

4Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton  Empty Re: Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton Tue Dec 26 2017, 17:41

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

The goals -

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

5Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton  Empty Re: Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton Tue Dec 26 2017, 18:35

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

And yet again another 90 minutes without a shot on target, thanks Parkinson.

6Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton  Empty Re: Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton Tue Dec 26 2017, 18:55

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

MartinBWFC wrote:And yet again another 90 minutes without a shot on target, thanks Parkinson.
No one told the team that they had to show up today. KA has no money... Parky has no clue... and the team has no leadership.  Maybe BSA will buy us from his bonus for saving Everton this season.  So far has not lost a game with them.  As Rooney said, he took us back to basics.  Parky can't even get the basics right in this league.

7Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton  Empty Re: Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton Tue Dec 26 2017, 21:21

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Get a grip both of you ffs!

We were beaten by a massive deflection - from one £9 million striker - and their other striker bought for £15 million (both bought at the beginning of the season) - got the other by turning Wheater inside out on a one on one.

We are still well on course to avoid relegation - with that being the one and only realistic target we have for this season.

There's better games for us to pick our points up from.

I'll settle for that rather than panicking with months to go yet.

8Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton  Empty Re: Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton Tue Dec 26 2017, 22:32

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Sluffy wrote:Get a grip both of you ffs!

We were beaten by a massive deflection - from one £9 million striker - and their other striker bought for £15 million (both bought at the beginning of the season) - got the other by turning Wheater inside out on a one on one.

We are still well on course to avoid relegation - with that being the one and only realistic target we have for this season.

That's the only realistic target while Ken is owner, if we stay up this season it will be the same old shite next season.Playing decent clubs like Boro, Derby, Leeds etc with half our team 3rd Div players
Part of me would rather pee about in the 3rd Division until we have a team that can compete in the 2nd Division.
As I understand it, the main benefit of avoiding relegation this season is that it will be easier for Ken to sell the club, but im not really arsed about that.I think if someone wants to buy the club they will do so whichever division its in.

9Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton  Empty Re: Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton Tue Dec 26 2017, 23:13

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Growler wrote:

That's the only realistic target while Ken is owner, if we stay up this season it will be the same old shite next season.Playing decent clubs like Boro, Derby, Leeds etc with half our team 3rd Div players
Part of me would rather pee about in the 3rd Division until we have a team that can compete in the 2nd Division.
As I understand it, the main benefit of avoiding relegation this season is that it will be easier for Ken to sell the club, but im not really arsed about that.I think if someone wants to buy the club they will do so whichever division its in.

You see I've never understood defeatist attitude.

Even in my playing days and losing 10-0, I've always fought to the end giving my best - why bother even playing in the first place if you think you're going to be beaten?

If we get relegated and struggle next season, what would you want, for us to go down to the fourth division where we might be one of the better teams there?

Isn't it all about doing the best you can with what you have?

Would people moan if we got back to the Premier and just hung on year after year - after all unless you have serious money no team is going to establish themselves long term in the top four or five places.  Most would be happy just to be at the top table and maybe one day have a season like Leicester had.  Of course you couldn't do that if we thought 'what's the point in being in this division if we can't compete?

It's all about doing your best - imo.

10Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton  Empty Re: Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton Tue Dec 26 2017, 23:31

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

As much as I respect your opinion, no shots on target reminds me of our first ten games. Not panicking since it is a six-team relegation battle (as it appears now).  But for us to look like we did at the beginning of the season means Parky is not moving forward.  Further, no wins on the road, and rumors of Her Majesty's Tax authorities coming after us, make me believe we may be in real danger.  I hope YOU are correct and that we are wrong.  At least the pack has not pulled away.

11Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton  Empty Re: Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton Wed Dec 27 2017, 10:52

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Absolute shite! Those are the words of an armchair bellend who couldn't find the Macron if it was built on his arse.

On course to avoid relegation? We're second from bottom you gobshite.

12Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton  Empty Re: Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton Wed Dec 27 2017, 11:01

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy,
You say that we are well on course to avoid relegation.
I don't see that and wonder where you get that from. Is it your undiluted passion for the Wanderers or is it based on something more factual and evidence based?
Negative though it may sound I don't think we are well on the way to avoiding relegation. I think we are staring it in the face

13Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton  Empty Re: Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton Wed Dec 27 2017, 12:32

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Tell that to Millwalls manager who are beating and drawing with multi million pound teams, he sends them out to play, Parkinson sends them out to stifle he clearly has no other plan and he's so easy to outplay.

14Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton  Empty Re: Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton Wed Dec 27 2017, 12:48

Sluffy’s right in as much as Parkinson has the odds stacked against him heavily in regards to avoiding relegation, and going away to a club like ‘boro anything other than defeat would be a surprise.

Millwall are an interesting comparison, on the one hand they prove the point that Parky should be doing better (although he’s still operating under more difficult constraints than them).

On the other, Neil Harris plays a very similar style of ‘pragmatic’ (aka one dimensional) football as the one Parky is getting flack for favouring.

One thing I’m not reading is what Parkinson should be doing? His options are limited from what I can see.

15Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton  Empty Re: Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton Wed Dec 27 2017, 12:57

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

T.R.O.Y wrote:Sluffy’s right in as much as Parkinson has the odds stacked against him heavily in regards to avoiding relegation, and going away to a club like ‘boro anything other than defeat would be a surprise.

Millwall are an interesting comparison, on the one hand they prove the point that Parky should be doing better (although he’s still operating under more difficult constraints than them).

On the other, Neil Harris plays a very similar style of ‘pragmatic’ (aka one dimensional) football as the one Parky is getting flack for favouring.

One thing I’m not reading is what Parkinson should be doing? His options are limited from what I can see.
He could start by trying a different system, it is no coincidence that our possession stats are extremely poor, the fact we lose possession so quickly is down to hoofing it to one striker who then gives away easy possession, hence the opposition mounting attack after attack, it is my opinion that he knows no other way of playing.

16Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton  Empty Re: Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton Wed Dec 27 2017, 13:51

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y wrote: His options are limited from what I can see.

When you haven't won away all season playing negative hoofball shite, there are other options. Two up top, 5 at the back, Vela in midfield etc.

Parky refuses to adapt to the situation. Burton is a prime example. They came to defend, sneaked a goal and put 11 men behind the ball. Parky spent 90 minutes humping the ball to Madine. That isn't about money or players, it's simply about changing your tactics to suit the situation.

Ignoring the fact that Parky signed most of these players, the old "we haven't got any money" excuse is getting tiresome. Effort and the right tactics are enough to stay in this division. We are lacking in both in my opinion.

17Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton  Empty Re: Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton Wed Dec 27 2017, 13:54

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

MartinBWFC wrote:

Tell that to Millwalls manager who are beating and drawing with multi million pound teams, he sends them out to play, Parkinson sends them out to stifle he clearly has no other plan and he's so easy to outplay.

Obviously you don't let facts stand in the way of your rants do you Martin?

I'm certain that we somehow got badly caught out with the embargo's new tighter restrictions on the  number of players we could have in our squad from the start of this season - why else did we not have a single defensive midfielder in the squad - and also why had Spearing not signed for any other club whilst he clearly was holding out for a bigger contract with us?

This obvious hole in the team (together with Ameobi and Vela being unavailable for the first umpteen games) had a direct result on our absolutely shite results from the beginning of the season until Anderson got the embargo lifted and signed Karl Henry to plug the midfield defensive gap.

Henry signed and played from 26th September onwards.

Our results from them are P15, W4, D5, L6 =17 points

Millwall during the same period - P15, W4, D5, L6=17 points also.

Yet in your head Parkinson is shite whilst Millwall are doing brilliantly!

Yes Millwall drew with Wolves (top) but we beat Cardiff who are second in the league.

During the same period Millwall also lost at home to Barnsley and Burton and only managed a draw against Sunderland  - so yes they've got points of some good teams in our league but also dropped plenty to plenty crap ones as well.

Tbh right now I don't think there's much difference between Millwall and us but if Anderson can wheel and deal and get some fringe players out and bring one or two better ones in we should be ok, maybe even finish above them perhaps

Try not to be a kneejerker after every single defeat - think more longer term instead.

As Kipling once famously wrote -

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs..."

18Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton  Empty Re: Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton Wed Dec 27 2017, 13:57

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Henry signed and played from 26th September onwards.

So you're basically pulling stats from your arse to suit your argument.

Between 23rd & 25th of December we had a 100% record. Parky should be getting manager of the month.

We're second from bottom. That is not on course for staying up.

19Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton  Empty Re: Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton Wed Dec 27 2017, 14:04

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Sluffy wrote:Henry signed and played from 26th September onwards.

So you're basically pulling stats from your arse to suit your argument.

Between 23rd & 25th of December we had a 100% record. Parky should be getting manager of the month.

We're second from bottom. That is not on course for staying up.

No, I'm just stating the facts.

The only thing that matters is not the number of battles we lose but that in the end we win the war.

(Welcome back btw!)

20Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton  Empty Re: Middlesbrough 2-0 Bolton Wed Dec 27 2017, 14:05

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Sluffy it's easy to give a reasoned explanation when all you see of us is highlights, I go to home games and have to watch the shite parkinson passes off as football, there is no direction in games, continually sideways, backward, and hoof, repeat for 90 plus minutes and that's Parkinsons game plan week in week out, the way he sets up has us chasing shadows, hence players knackered after 70 minutes, the reason we concede so many late goals, it's basic stuff let the ball do the work and play out from the back, not a chance with Parkinsons mentality.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum