Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Coolest monkey in the jungle!"

+10
Norpig
Keegan
Angry Dad
gloswhite
Sluffy
Boggersbelief
Reebok Trotter
karlypants
Natasha Whittam
Leeds_Trotter
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Empty "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 20:33

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Right so you have probably all seen it on the news and in the papers regarding the kid who was used to model a hoodie for H&M with the words "Coolest monkey in the jungle" written on it.
"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Hm10

Now people are all up in arms about this calling H&M out on this saying it is racist and the company should know better. However personally I do not know what all the fuss is about, people are definitely getting way too offended and defensive over it. I thought the whole point of not being racist was to see past skin colour? We are all supposed to be equal are we not, so why should this be classed as racist when it wouldn't have been if a white kid was modelling the hoodie?

Surely the only way we stamp out racism in the world is by not playing the racism card at every opportunity and learning the difference of when something is being used in a derogatory manner and when it is not.

On another note the N word is a big one for me, black people call each other it all the time however they find it very offensive if someone of a different skin colour uses the word. Surely if it upset them that much they would stop using it themselves? Maybe they should set the example by not using it.

But then it all ties back to my previous point of in what way things are said I guess. What is your thought on the subject? Surely in order to move forward in the world, we have to leave the past in the past and stop getting offended so easily, especially when we know things are not said or done in a derogatory way.

2"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 20:37

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Leeds_Trotter wrote:Surely the only way we stamp out racism in the world is by not playing the racism card at every opportunity

:facepalm:

Were you wearing white robes and a hood when you wrote that?

3"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 20:43

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Leeds_Trotter wrote:Surely the only way we stamp out racism in the world is by not playing the racism card at every opportunity

Were you wearing white robes and a hood when you wrote that?
They are currently getting the Daz treatment.

4"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 20:50

Didn’t even need to open this to know you’d have that opinion.

5"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 20:51

Reebok Trotter will be on to support you within the hour.

6"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 21:00

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

T.R.O.Y wrote:Reebok Trotter will be on to support you within the hour.
He's a smart man is RT.

7"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 21:25

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't see what the problem is with the jumper?

People need to get a grip!

8"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 21:28

Don’t think it’s the jumper people are annoyed about.

9"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 21:32

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

T.R.O.Y wrote:Don’t think it’s the jumper people are annoyed about.
People Can't see past skin colour clearly.

10"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 21:37

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" 14650511
T.R.O.Y wrote:Reebok Trotter will be on to support you within the hour.

Yes and you are correct. The term 'cheeky monkey' is often used to describe a young scallywag and is neither gender or race specific. LT is right.

11"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 21:38

It’s a beyond stupid move from H&M, I’m sure heads will roll for it. 

The fact of the matter is you’re a white guy from leeds, so tell me what on earth qualifies to judge what should and should not offend black people?

12"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 21:39

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:Yes and you are correct. The term 'cheeky monkey' is often used to describe a young scallywag and is neither gender or race specific. LT is right.

13"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 21:49

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There are white kids modelling the same jungle theme on their website yet they’ve chosen to let the black child wear that particular hoodie, it is pretty racist tbf

14"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 21:52

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:There are white kids modelling the same jungle theme on their website yet they’ve chosen to let the black child wear that particular hoodie, it is pretty racist tbf
I didn't hear the kid or the family complain...

15"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 21:55

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Is the advert used in a derogatory way towards any race[size=30]? Does the advert incite hate towards any race? The answer to both those questions is no it doesn't. People should stop being snowflakes, no way does this advert discriminate against any race. It's all been blown out of proportion by the far left. Even I as a Labour voter think it's a complete joke to be offended by this. There was no malicious intent from the company. If it is racist like people claim, then why did the parents not say this before allowing the photo to be used? This country is begging to have too many soft arses who get upset over nothing. God help us if the country ever went to war and conscription was brought back. We'd be doomed with an army full of soft arses.[/size]

16"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 21:55

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:There are white kids modelling the same jungle theme on their website yet they’ve chosen to let the black child wear that particular hoodie, it is pretty racist tbf

Money talks

17"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 21:59

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Boggersbelief wrote:
karlypants wrote:

Money talks
So by your theory I can be racist towards someone as long as I pay them? Haha come on now.

18"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 22:01

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Leeds_Trotter wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:
karlypants wrote:

Money talks
So by your theory I can be racist towards someone as long as I pay them? Haha come on now.

No, try again

19"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 22:03

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Boggersbelief wrote:
Leeds_Trotter wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:
karlypants wrote:

Money talks

No, try again
Look at the end of the day the family were happy for it to be used probably because they can see past skin colour and know that the advert was not malicious or derogatory in any way shape or form.

20"Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Empty Re: "Coolest monkey in the jungle!" Wed Jan 10 2018, 22:05

Leeds_Trotter wrote:Is the advert used in a derogatory way towards any race[size=30]? Does the advert incite hate towards any race? The answer to both those questions is no it doesn't. People should stop being snowflakes, no way does this advert discriminate against any race. It's all been blown out of proportion by the far left. Even I as a Labour voter think it's a complete joke to be offended by this. There was no malicious intent from the company. If it is racist like people claim, then why did the parents not say this before allowing the photo to be used? This country is begging to have too many soft arses who get upset over nothing. God help us if the country ever went to war and conscription was brought back. We'd be doomed with an army full of soft arses.[/size]

I think it was more likely sheer stupidity than racism from H&M, but guess what black people find the word monkey offensive and are sensitive to it's use - maybe something to do with centuries of persecution. So if that's a fucking surprise to you then please don't go anywhere near the army either, we don't need anymore idiots running around with guns.

So answer my question, what qualifies you to decide what black people find offensive?

Last edited by T.R.O.Y on Wed Jan 10 2018, 22:05; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum