Bolton Wanderers Fans Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Is this a good use of public money?

Is this a good use of public money?

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1 Is this a good use of public money? on Tue Mar 27 2018, 12:45

xmiles

avatar
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
Feel free to chip in with other examples but this seems to sadly be a complete waste of money:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43550383

2 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Tue Mar 27 2018, 13:37

Norpig

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
It is a waste of money sadly but i do feel this case gets far more publicity than lots of other similar cases. 
For what it's worth i don't believe the parents are involved,they were just idiots for leaving their kids alone and they have to live with that for the rest of their lives.

3 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Tue Mar 27 2018, 13:44

xmiles

avatar
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
Norpig wrote:It is a waste of money sadly but i do feel this case gets far more publicity than lots of other similar cases. 
For what it's worth i don't believe the parents are involved,they were just idiots for leaving their kids alone and they have to live with that for the rest of their lives.


Exactly how I feel Norpig.

4 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Tue Mar 27 2018, 13:48

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
xmiles wrote:
Norpig wrote:It is a waste of money sadly but i do feel this case gets far more publicity than lots of other similar cases. 
For what it's worth i don't believe the parents are involved,they were just idiots for leaving their kids alone and they have to live with that for the rest of their lives.


Exactly how I feel Norpig.
The reason more funding was granted is exactly because it was a high profile media case and is therefore political due to ongoing media attention.
Unfortunately there are hundreds of less known other cases of families seeking answers and justice that will be denied the funding as a result of this.

5 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Tue Mar 27 2018, 14:10

karlypants

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
xmiles wrote:
Norpig wrote:It is a waste of money sadly but i do feel this case gets far more publicity than lots of other similar cases. 
For what it's worth i don't believe the parents are involved,they were just idiots for leaving their kids alone and they have to live with that for the rest of their lives.


Exactly how I feel Norpig.
And me.

6 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Tue Mar 27 2018, 18:58

y2johnny


Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
By leaving their kids alone while they was out drinking they are involved.  Simple as.

If shaz and dave left the kids at home while they nipped in the top bull on the corner and one of their kids got "abducted!" Im pretty sure the other 17 would be taken off them.

But kate and gerry are doctors.  Upstanding middle class at its finest.

Deplorable if you ask me

7 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Tue Mar 27 2018, 19:07

karlypants

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
y2johnny wrote:By leaving their kids alone while they was out drinking they are involved.  Simple as.

If shaz and dave left the kids at home while they nipped in the top bull on the corner and one of their kids got "abducted!" Im pretty sure the other 17 would be taken off them.

But kate and gerry are doctors.  Upstanding middle class at its finest.

Deplorable if you ask me
Well said Johnny!  :clap:

8 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Tue Mar 27 2018, 19:37

Reebok Trotter

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Norpig wrote:It is a waste of money sadly but i do feel this case gets far more publicity than lots of other similar cases. 
For what it's worth i don't believe the parents are involved,they were just idiots for leaving their kids alone and they have to live with that for the rest of their lives.
:agree:

9 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Tue Mar 27 2018, 19:45

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
y2johnny wrote:By leaving their kids alone while they was out drinking they are involved.  Simple as.

If shaz and dave left the kids at home while they nipped in the top bull on the corner and one of their kids got "abducted!" Im pretty sure the other 17 would be taken off them.

But kate and gerry are doctors.  Upstanding middle class at its finest.

Deplorable if you ask me

I take your point Johnny, but the day we give up searching for a missing kid is the day society has finally imploded.

10 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Tue Mar 27 2018, 19:47

karlypants

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Natasha Whittam wrote:
y2johnny wrote:By leaving their kids alone while they was out drinking they are involved.  Simple as.

If shaz and dave left the kids at home while they nipped in the top bull on the corner and one of their kids got "abducted!" Im pretty sure the other 17 would be taken off them.

But kate and gerry are doctors.  Upstanding middle class at its finest.

Deplorable if you ask me

I take your point Johnny, but the day we give up searching for a missing kid is the day society has finally imploded.
What about the other missing kids that never got this money spent on trying to find them?

11 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Tue Mar 27 2018, 19:50

karlypants

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
This has been going on for eleven years and they have had millions of pounds spent on searching for one child with some police officers having their jollies abroad with it.

How many other children could we have helped with all that money?

12 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Tue Mar 27 2018, 19:55

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
karlypants wrote:What about the other missing kids that never got this money spent on trying to find them?

I presume you have examples? I'm not aware of any other kids being snatched abroad other than Ben Needham, and I believe money was made available just recently to dig a patch of land in Greece.

I don't believe the police would give up on any kid who they thought had been abducted.

13 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Tue Mar 27 2018, 20:48

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
Its not about the money, nor the parents. Its about an innocent child being either stolen and possibly/probably killed. Can you really put a price on that child's life, especially if the authorities, for whatever reason, are prepared to fund the investigation ? Just thank your lucky stars that you haven't been put in their position.

14 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Tue Mar 27 2018, 21:20

y2johnny


Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
I'd never leave my kids on their own and go out on the piss therefore putting me in their position

15 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Tue Mar 27 2018, 21:34

karlypants

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
How much funds did the Portuguese government put into all the investigative work etc?

16 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Tue Mar 27 2018, 21:38

y2johnny


Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
Natasha Whittam wrote:
y2johnny wrote:By leaving their kids alone while they was out drinking they are involved.  Simple as.

If shaz and dave left the kids at home while they nipped in the top bull on the corner and one of their kids got "abducted!" Im pretty sure the other 17 would be taken off them.

But kate and gerry are doctors.  Upstanding middle class at its finest.

Deplorable if you ask me

I take your point Johnny, but the day we give up searching for a missing kid is the day society has finally imploded.
I agree Nat. We shouldnt give up. But they've never been brought to account for the fact they left them on their own in the first place. 

Too many inconsistencies. But thats just my opinion. Like ive said above.

Id never leave my kids on their own (drugged or otherwise) while i went out living the high life

17 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Tue Mar 27 2018, 21:46

xmiles

avatar
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
gloswhite wrote:Its not about the money, nor the parents. Its about an innocent child being either stolen and possibly/probably killed. Can you really put a price on that child's life, especially if the authorities, for whatever reason, are prepared to fund the investigation ? Just thank your lucky stars that you haven't been put in their position.

At a time when money is tight you have to wonder why it was decided to spend more money on what is almost certainly a complete waste of time. Ultimately you do have to put a price on a child's life just as you do when deciding whether someone should be given very expensive medical treatment. There is not an unlimited supply of money.

18 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Wed Mar 28 2018, 07:58

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
xmiles wrote:
gloswhite wrote:Its not about the money, nor the parents. Its about an innocent child being either stolen and possibly/probably killed. Can you really put a price on that child's life, especially if the authorities, for whatever reason, are prepared to fund the investigation ? Just thank your lucky stars that you haven't been put in their position.

At a time when money is tight you have to wonder why it was decided to spend more money on what is almost certainly a complete waste of time. Ultimately you do have to put a price on a child's life just as you do when deciding whether someone should be given very expensive medical treatment. There is not an unlimited supply of money.
Taking your argument a little further, do you stop treating somebody when they reach a certain age, or they have a little less than a 50/50 chance. With your progressive thinking, have you contemplated what happens when the likes of you and I get to a certain age, and society deems us an irrelevance, (because its going that way)? 
If its as black and white as you say, ask the old person on the hospital bed if they would like to stay alive at the expense of a missing child. I accept some of what your saying, but there are times when compromises have to be made, and the money isn't really that much in the great scheme of things. (after all, they gave a billion to the DUP)

19 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Wed Mar 28 2018, 09:23

karlypants

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Not sure how you can use the DUP as an example Glos as that was just a bribe for the Tories to stay in power.

Win at all costs and all that.

Don’t forget that there definitely is no money tree now! Very Happy

20 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Wed Mar 28 2018, 09:32

xmiles

avatar
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
gloswhite wrote:
xmiles wrote:
gloswhite wrote:Its not about the money, nor the parents. Its about an innocent child being either stolen and possibly/probably killed. Can you really put a price on that child's life, especially if the authorities, for whatever reason, are prepared to fund the investigation ? Just thank your lucky stars that you haven't been put in their position.

At a time when money is tight you have to wonder why it was decided to spend more money on what is almost certainly a complete waste of time. Ultimately you do have to put a price on a child's life just as you do when deciding whether someone should be given very expensive medical treatment. There is not an unlimited supply of money.
Taking your argument a little further, do you stop treating somebody when they reach a certain age, or they have a little less than a 50/50 chance. With your progressive thinking, have you contemplated what happens when the likes of you and I get to a certain age, and society deems us an irrelevance, (because its going that way)? 
If its as black and white as you say, ask the old person on the hospital bed if they would like to stay alive at the expense of a missing child. I accept some of what your saying, but there are times when compromises have to be made, and the money isn't really that much in the great scheme of things. (after all, they gave a billion to the DUP)

I am just being realistic. There is a finite amount of money and hard decisions need to be made all the time. The NHS cannot buy all the medicine it would like to and a body called NICE decides which are the most cost effective and allows the NHS to buy them and only them.

21 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Wed Mar 28 2018, 16:54

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
xmiles wrote:
gloswhite wrote:
xmiles wrote:
gloswhite wrote:Its not about the money, nor the parents. Its about an innocent child being either stolen and possibly/probably killed. Can you really put a price on that child's life, especially if the authorities, for whatever reason, are prepared to fund the investigation ? Just thank your lucky stars that you haven't been put in their position.

At a time when money is tight you have to wonder why it was decided to spend more money on what is almost certainly a complete waste of time. Ultimately you do have to put a price on a child's life just as you do when deciding whether someone should be given very expensive medical treatment. There is not an unlimited supply of money.
Taking your argument a little further, do you stop treating somebody when they reach a certain age, or they have a little less than a 50/50 chance. With your progressive thinking, have you contemplated what happens when the likes of you and I get to a certain age, and society deems us an irrelevance, (because its going that way)? 
If its as black and white as you say, ask the old person on the hospital bed if they would like to stay alive at the expense of a missing child. I accept some of what your saying, but there are times when compromises have to be made, and the money isn't really that much in the great scheme of things. (after all, they gave a billion to the DUP)

I am just being realistic. There is a finite amount of money and hard decisions need to be made all the time. The NHS cannot buy all the medicine it would like to and a body called NICE decides which are the most cost effective and allows the NHS to buy them and only them.
Fair enough, but don't forget, were probably talking different budgets here.

22 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Wed Mar 28 2018, 16:58

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
karlypants wrote:Not sure how you can use the DUP as an example Glos as that was just a bribe for the Tories to stay in power.

Win at all costs and all that.

Don’t forget that there definitely is no money tree now! Very Happy
Thats exactly my point KP. We're all thinking about how to save money on the governments behalf, and they blow a Billion, so its there, when they need it, and if they are happy they can afford more for the McCanns, then so be it.

23 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Wed Mar 28 2018, 17:13

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Natasha Whittam wrote:
karlypants wrote:What about the other missing kids that never got this money spent on trying to find them?

I presume you have examples? I'm not aware of any other kids being snatched abroad other than Ben Needham, and I believe money was made available just recently to dig a patch of land in Greece.

I don't believe the police would give up on any kid who they thought had been abducted.
It's not just kids abducted abroad that's the problem. In 2016 there were 1,141 child abductions in the UK according to the Government.

24 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Wed Mar 28 2018, 17:34

Reebok Trotter

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
gloswhite wrote:Its not about the money, nor the parents. Its about an innocent child being either stolen and possibly/probably killed. Can you really put a price on that child's life, especially if the authorities, for whatever reason, are prepared to fund the investigation ? Just thank your lucky stars that you haven't been put in their position.

Nailed it Bob.

25 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Wed Mar 28 2018, 17:34

Reebok Trotter

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

26 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Wed Mar 28 2018, 17:37

Reebok Trotter

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I have always felt sorry for the McCanns. Yes they were negligent in letting their guard down while on holiday but they are paying a horrible price for it every single day of their lives. It must be unbearable losing a young child in this manner not knowing whether she is alive or dead.

27 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Wed Mar 28 2018, 17:42

Cajunboy

avatar
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
y2johnny wrote:By leaving their kids alone while they was out drinking they are involved.  Simple as.

If shaz and dave left the kids at home while they nipped in the top bull on the corner and one of their kids got "abducted!" Im pretty sure the other 17 would be taken off them.

But kate and gerry are doctors.  Upstanding middle class at its finest.

Deplorable if you ask me
Totally agree, you've saved me writing the same sentiment.

28 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Wed Mar 28 2018, 17:45

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Always found them a bit odd. Something cold about them.

29 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Wed Mar 28 2018, 17:45

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
A point that seems to be forgotten as time goes by, RT

30 Re: Is this a good use of public money? on Wed Mar 28 2018, 17:51

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
Cajunboy wrote:
y2johnny wrote:By leaving their kids alone while they was out drinking they are involved.  Simple as.

If shaz and dave left the kids at home while they nipped in the top bull on the corner and one of their kids got "abducted!" Im pretty sure the other 17 would be taken off them.

But kate and gerry are doctors.  Upstanding middle class at its finest.

Deplorable if you ask me
Totally agree, you've saved me writing the same sentiment.
Really Johnny ?  You have never, ever, lost track of your kids, for no matter how short, or long, a time? Never put them in a situation that could turn bad, in the home, on holiday, or wherever? If you haven't, you either don't have kids, (and we know you do), or you've been a very lucky man. I think they are a cold couple, possibly because of their occupations, and the shock of what happened, but I don't think bringing class into it makes any sense.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum