Bolton Wanderers Fans Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Bolton Wanderers Banter » I love the Play offs

I love the Play offs

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 I love the Play offs on Fri May 11 2018, 09:12

WhiteBic

avatar
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Not been on here in a while!

It's great entertainment the play offs isn't it! I am really hoping Fulham don't go up this season simply for selfish reason as I want to do an away day next season at the Cottage. I have a funny feeling Fulham will bottle it in a Villa final at Wembley.

Coming down!
Swansea, Stoke and West Brom is also very tasty not to mention who is coming up!  bounce
I believe that over the next few season we can build with the hope of getting in the the play offs in the next 4 or 5 seasons. Really really excited for pre season to start, I also have to mention I am in Spain during the World cup! Get in!

Good to see the old skool members knocking about still!

2 Re: I love the Play offs on Fri May 11 2018, 09:22

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I love the play offs too. But it's a nightmare if you're involved.

I've never really recovered from the Ipswich debacle with that bastard Barry Knight.

3 Re: I love the Play offs on Fri May 11 2018, 09:38

Hipster_Nebula

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Why we're never in them

4 Re: I love the Play offs on Fri May 11 2018, 09:47

Norpig

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Welcome back WhiteBic  Very Happy

As Boncey says they are great when you're not involved. Painful memories of Wembley defeats to Tranmere and Watford balanced against fantastic wins against Reading and Preston

5 Re: I love the Play offs on Fri May 11 2018, 09:51

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Don't get me wrong,if the play offs are the best you can do,you'll take them all day long,but they sometimes feel like death by a thousand cuts.

6 Re: I love the Play offs on Fri May 11 2018, 10:21

Sluffy

avatar
Admin
I guess the play offs helped keep Bolton up this season, with Derby and Preston still having something to play for in the very last game of the season!

Good to see you back White Bic, hope you stick around for a while.

Some of our greatest and/or most memorable games have been played during play offs of course, coming back from 2-0 down and a penalty kick to be taken against us Reading, McGinlay and his 'wee push' against David Kelly and Wolves in the semi of the same year.  The Barry Knight debacle against Ipswich and even the very first playoffs when Aldershot relegated us to the old fourth division.

They certainly liven up the seasons end!

7 Re: I love the Play offs on Fri May 11 2018, 10:40

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Wasn't there a period when one of the bottom teams in the top division took part in the second tier play offs to decide their fate?
I'm sure that's how it worked for a while.

8 Re: I love the Play offs on Fri May 11 2018, 10:51

Sluffy

avatar
Admin
boltonbonce wrote:Wasn't there a period when one of the bottom teams in the top division took part in the second tier play offs to decide their fate?
I'm sure that's how it worked for a while.

Yes, the two season when playoffs were introduced. (we were involved in the first one!).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

9 Re: I love the Play offs on Fri May 11 2018, 13:40

observer


Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Sluffy wrote:I guess the play offs helped keep Bolton up this season, with Derby and Preston still having something to play for in the very last game of the season!

Good to see you back White Bic, hope you stick around for a while.

Some of our greatest and/or most memorable games have been played during play offs of course, coming back from 2-0 down and a penalty kick to be taken against us Reading, McGinlay and his 'wee push' against David Kelly and Wolves in the semi of the same year.  The Barry Knight debacle against Ipswich and even the very first playoffs when Aldershot relegated us to the old fourth division.

They certainly liven up the seasons end!
Thankfully we didn't need to depend on the Wolves to win!  You are so right!!!

10 Re: I love the Play offs on Fri May 11 2018, 16:17

DEANO82


Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
My first ever Bolton match was a play-off game in 1990. We drew 1 all, think we lost the 2nd leg 2-0.  

Have some great memories from the playoffs (the ones we won obviously).

11 Re: I love the Play offs on Fri May 11 2018, 16:19

WhiteBic

avatar
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
observer wrote:
Sluffy wrote:I guess the play offs helped keep Bolton up this season, with Derby and Preston still having something to play for in the very last game of the season!

Good to see you back White Bic, hope you stick around for a while.

Some of our greatest and/or most memorable games have been played during play offs of course, coming back from 2-0 down and a penalty kick to be taken against us Reading, McGinlay and his 'wee push' against David Kelly and Wolves in the semi of the same year.  The Barry Knight debacle against Ipswich and even the very first playoffs when Aldershot relegated us to the old fourth division.

They certainly liven up the seasons end!
Thankfully we didn't need to depend on the Wolves to win!  You are so right!!!
The odds are pretty slim having to leap frog two teams to escape, when they both face teams desperate to get in to the play offs. We can count our lucky stars there

12 Re: I love the Play offs on Fri May 11 2018, 16:57

Bolton Rebirth


Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel
I think the playoffs are the best games of the entire calendar. I absolutely hate being in them but let’s be honest apart from winning trophies (which none of us have much experience in) there’s just no beating promotion via the playoffs. 

My first proper season watching Bolton was 1994/95 and I still get goosebumps watching Branagan’s save and De Freitas’ equaliser against Reading.

13 Re: I love the Play offs on Mon May 14 2018, 17:55

Reebok Trotter

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I hope Fulham go up via the play-offs. They have easily been the best third placed team in the Championship and their manager did a brilliant job of getting Watford promoted and then the clueless bastards sacked him. Slaverer deserves a chance to manage in the Prem.

No too fussed about visiting Stoke and Swansea next season but I don't mind the Hawthorns. The pub for away fans run by the two Asian brothers not far from the ground is okay. As well as a pint they also do a decent curry.

14 Re: I love the Play offs on Tue May 15 2018, 10:09

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Fulham deservedly slid past Derby to the final last night with that kid Sessegnon getting the ball rolling.
Probably Villa in the final?

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum