Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Illegal downloading and the government etc...

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Bolton Nuts

Admin

So. Most of us would watch a live stream if available when we can't get to the match. Those of us still young enough to be up with modern music probably listen to it on you tube. I bet all of us have used a copied program on our pc at some stage. And so on.

What gets me is this. When you see it on the news you get music and movie industry people saying "we lost x million pounds this year due to illegal downloads".

The problem is this. They think that just because 10 or 15 years ago we all had to buy dvds or cds to watch films or listen to music and it generated millions of pounds of profit - they think it should always be that way and they are entitled to always earn that level of profit. But things change. Demand changes. Technology changes. If things become more easily available then people are not going to pay a premium for them anymore.

You cant expect to artificially keep prices high just because that is how much they used to earn. Maybe they have to lower their expectations. Perhaps music stars wont be millionaires in the future. Its not a right to earn that amount. Maybe that era has gone. They need to stop clinging to it and move with the times.

Perhaps the income model for music and film etc needs to completely change. If people are not prepared to pay for it in the traditional way or at the old price then you cant force it.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't download anything, I prefer to hold a CD or DVD in my hand so I can place it alphabetically on my shelf. Then update my Excel spreadsheet.

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I get exactly what you mean. Funnily enough I was thinking about this yesterday.
For example. Kodak are filing for bankruptcy protection. Weird example I know. But stay with me.

Kodak cant say, "hang on a minute, we used to sell camera films to people and charge them to get their images back through developing but now they do it themselves at home. This is not on, we need to charge them for downloading photos to their computers or home printing because we are losing money every year compared to what we used to make"

So I see exactly where you are coming from, I think. It's like we have a (non gay) connection biggie.

Kodak have to move with what the new tech is and what people are happy to pay for. In the same way the music people can't say - "we used to charge x amount for an album and earn x amount and if we are no longer earning x amount then something needs doing to stop people."

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Natasha Whittam wrote:I don't download anything, I prefer to hold a CD or DVD in my hand so I can place it alphabetically on my shelf. Then update my Excel spreadsheet.

Yeah but you are behind the times with your alphabet.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The industry needs to wake up and realise that people WILL pay for up to date content, good quality, thats NEW and readily available INSTANTLY.

Yep, it's a lot to ask, but thats the only way they will regain the "content" from the illegals.

I recently had a free trial of that "NETFLIX" and it's utter utter SHIT. Their content is YEARS out of date, not a single new film, TV show or anything else and they've got the cheek to ask for 5.99 a month for it.

now imagine if that service had bang up to date films and tv episodes on demand streaming straight to your TV. 5.99 a month would be a bloody good price. Hell i might, might pay 7.99 for that kind of thing.

but how else am i going to watch great TV which doesn't broadcast in the UK or Films that come out here 5 months after they do in the US? The demand is there and they refuse to offer a solution, thats why they're in trouble.

anyway PIPA was thrown out quite rightly.

heck i was just going to try that netflix - you've just saved me the hassle so thanks.

by the way they advertise you'd think they had all the latest stuff.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

They don't, it was embarrassing, i cancelled in less than 12 hours.

If you want to watch the first 3 seasons (yes they only have 3) of 24 then i'd recommend it but otherwise don't bother.

The newest film i could find was Lost in Translation. (2003)

2003! i don't think many people will be sticking around once their free trial runs out lol

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum