Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What Parkinson Thought - Rotherham

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What Parkinson Thought - Rotherham Empty What Parkinson Thought - Rotherham Sat Oct 20 2018, 20:06

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Christian Doidge's first goal in Bolton colours earned Wanderers a share of the spoils away at Rotherham United on Saturday afternoon.

The Whites squandered a glorious opportunity to take the lead early in the second half when Josh Magennis was fouled in the area and proceeded to take the resulting spot-kick which was saved by Marek Rodak.

The home side then took the lead through Will Vaulks' free-kick - a goal which appeared to have earned them maximum points.

But substitute Doidge popped up with five minutes remaining to fire home from just inside the area to ensure that the Trotters took a point back home with them.

And speaking following the final whistle, manager Phil Parkinson covered these topics...

On the game as a whole...

It was blood and thunder as we expected and was a different type of game to what you usually get in the Sky Bet Championship.

The way Rotherham play, they put you under pressure and it has reaped dividends like when Derby came here a few weeks ago.

We had to handle their long balls into the box from throw-ins and set-plays and I thought in the main, we did that well.

Second half, I thought we started terrifically well, but I thought the penalty was a turning point in the game as you could feel that it gave their crowd a lift and their players a little bit more belief.

For that period, I felt that we sat back a little bit and paid the price for that with the goal we conceded from a free-kick.

I felt we responded well though with the subs coming on who did great for us and everyone showed great character to get us back into the game.

We always want three points, but you should never undervalue one, especially away from home and at a place like Rotherham.

This is a tough place to come and a lot of teams will find that this season.

On the impact of the substitutes...

We moved Josh to the right hand side, Yanic on the left and put Christian and Clayts in the middle.

We're so pleased for Christian to get that goal though as he's really deserved that with his work on the training pitch.

I must give a special mention to Clayton too though because I thought he was terrific today.

He ran himself into the ground for the team and was very unlucky not to score with his effort off the post in the first half.

All his performance needed was a goal and he was close to getting it.

On Gary O'Neil's injury...

It was just his calf with a slight strain which is a blow as Gary has been doing well.

But equally, I thought Josh Vela did great when he got on and of course, there's players who aren't getting into the team like Luke Murphy who have been extremely unlucky not to feature in the 18.

He came in and made a good contribution at the start of the season and because of the form of the other midfield players, he's had to take a backseat.

On the backing of the near-2,000 strong following...

The fans were great for us today. Getting that first goal is always important and when we got the penalty, everyone went to a stunned silence.

Everybody stuck together though, dug in and it was great to give them something to cheer about and give everyone a big lift.

And finally, on picking up momentum heading into back-to-back home games...

Our aim today was to ensure that we went into these two games with a positive result and although we would have loved to have taken all three points, this point sets us up nicely for a great week ahead where the squad will be utilised.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum