Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brexit Watch

+14
Ten Bobsworth
Hipster_Nebula
gloswhite
okocha
Cajunboy
Natasha Whittam
Angry Dad
Norpig
Sluffy
sunlight
karlypants
boltonbonce
wanderlust
xmiles
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Go down  Message [Page 26 of 27]

501brexit - Brexit Watch - Page 26 Empty Re: Brexit Watch Wed Feb 09 2022, 11:35

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The Public Accounts Committee say it's time for the Government to be honest about Brexit.

(Personally, I think the time to be honest about it was before the referendum)
"One of the great promises of Brexit was freeing British businesses to give them the headroom to maximise their productivity and contribution to the economy," said Meg Hillier, chair of the committee.
"Yet the only detectable impact so far is increased costs, paperwork and border delays."
The leaders of Brexit said that in the short term there could be additional costs as the United Kingdom adapted, but that in the long term there would be considerable political and economic benefits from leaving the bloc.
The Public Accounts Committee cautioned that the government had considerable work to do to make cross-border trade easier for businesses and that there were concerns about computer systems being developed by customs.
In November, Britain became the last Group of Seven developed nation to see its goods exports surpass their 2018 average level since the onset of the COVID-19, underlining its poor trade performance in international terms.

502brexit - Brexit Watch - Page 26 Empty Re: Brexit Watch Wed Feb 09 2022, 13:51

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm still mulling over the irony of demoting JRM but giving him a job that pays double the salary.

First thought is why give the job of "Brexit Opportunities" to a man who moved his own business to Dublin after the referendum? A man whose primary role is to deregulate EU standards and rules yet made the choice to have his business regulated by the EU?

Is that because EU regulations are largely based on British Standards anyway?
And what will become of the British Standards Institute? Isn't that their job anyway? They were given a Royal Charter to specifically do that work so what is the need for a bogus department with a foppish lizard of a leader when the BSI has 120 years of experience in the field and a worldwide reputation?

Mogg himself said that it would take 50 years to realise the benefits of Brexit - so exactly what is he going to be doing in the meantime apart from collecting a fat salary - and paying his business taxes to the EU and not the UK? Laughing at our stupidity?

This is the man who said that if standards were good enough for India they're good enough for us. Is that what Brexit is all about? Accepting Indian standards and making a bonfire of our own?

503brexit - Brexit Watch - Page 26 Empty Re: Brexit Watch Thu Feb 10 2022, 02:14

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm now of the opinion that giving Mogg the job was Boris's peace offering to the right wing of the party in an attempt to shore up the Brexiteer vote.
You happy with the appointment White?

504brexit - Brexit Watch - Page 26 Empty Re: Brexit Watch Thu Feb 10 2022, 13:24

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:I'm now of the opinion that giving Mogg the job was Boris's peace offering to the right wing of the party in an attempt to shore up the Brexiteer vote.
You happy with the appointment White?
Lusty, I’m not disagreeing on any of the above with you in your multiple posts. Few if any of the benefits of Brexit have yet been delivered, although I do think you’re ignoring some significant achievements in new technology investment and new company creation. Clearly the Covid Pandemic has hugely delayed activity as the government had to devote time to that but hopefully now that’s behind us they can concentrate on delivering on promises.

Obviously it would help if the EU adopted a more accepting attitude to negotiations in all areas but then I suppose it isn’t in their interests to do that? Clearly their intention is to punish the UK to deter any other states from considering leaving but I think eventually it will work against them.

505brexit - Brexit Watch - Page 26 Empty Re: Brexit Watch Thu Feb 10 2022, 13:56

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whitesince63 wrote:
Lusty, I’m not disagreeing on any of the above with you in your multiple posts. Few if any of the benefits of Brexit have yet been delivered, although I do think you’re ignoring some significant achievements in new technology investment and new company creation. Clearly the Covid Pandemic has hugely delayed activity as the government had to devote time to that but hopefully now that’s behind us they can concentrate on delivering on promises.

Obviously it would help if the EU adopted a more accepting attitude to negotiations in all areas but then I suppose it isn’t in their interests to do that? Clearly their intention is to punish the UK to deter any other states from considering leaving but I think eventually it will work against them.
This government struck a deal with the EU which the EU have kept their word on and stuck to, so I think it's a bit rich to suggest that it is the EU that needs an attitude change.

I am unaware of any "significant achievements in new technology investment and new company creation"  - perhaps you could signpost me to the evidence of this?

All Ive seen so far is global private equity coming in as the Chinese and Americans etc are buying us up and taking ownership of the IP - and loan schemes from the government - like the Future Fund which Sunak lied to us about by calling it "investment".

506brexit - Brexit Watch - Page 26 Empty Re: Brexit Watch Thu Feb 10 2022, 18:39

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

FYI France has today announced that they (EDF) will build 6 new EPR2 nuclear reactors and are considering an additional 8.
In his speech, Emmanuel Macron said "The time of nuclear renaissance has come" and that EDF will receive tens of billions of euros to kickstart the programme.

EPR2 is the next generation of pressurised water reactors and will be more advanced and productive than the Sizewell C reactor EDF are building (along with the Chinese who have a 20% share) in Suffolk.

507brexit - Brexit Watch - Page 26 Empty Re: Brexit Watch Fri Feb 11 2022, 08:18

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:FYI France has today announced that they (EDF) will build 6 new EPR2 nuclear reactors and are considering an additional 8.
In his speech, Emmanuel Macron said "The time of nuclear renaissance has come" and that EDF will receive tens of billions of euros to kickstart the programme.

EPR2 is the next generation of pressurised water reactors and will be more advanced and productive than the Sizewell C reactor EDF are building (along with the Chinese who have a 20% share) in Suffolk.
Does that mean EDF can afford to lower my already massive energy bills now then?   Very Happy

508brexit - Brexit Watch - Page 26 Empty Re: Brexit Watch Fri Feb 11 2022, 10:48

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:
This government struck a deal with the EU which the EU have kept their word on and stuck to, so I think it's a bit rich to suggest that it is the EU that needs an attitude change.

I am unaware of any "significant achievements in new technology investment and new company creation"  - perhaps you could signpost me to the evidence of this?

All Ive seen so far is global private equity coming in as the Chinese and Americans etc are buying us up and taking ownership of the IP - and loan schemes from the government - like the Future Fund which Sunak lied to us about by calling it "investment".
Once again Lusty, more evidence of your complete mind block over the EU. It’s as if you’re totally blind to anything remotely positive happening whilst at the same time refusing to accept that the EU are intentionally blocking any UK attempts to formulate a new relationship moving forward. Yes, we signed an agreement on leaving but that agreement was always a basis for fuller negotiation going forward. 

The latest example of EU intransigence towards the UK is on the financial clearing issue. Implementing a series of punishments for banks who continue to use London after 2025 and don’t move clearance to those within the bloc, completely, ignores the fact that they can still use the US despite our regulation being identical to that within the EU. It also completely ignores the fact that splitting the clearing system will not only reduce efficiency for EU companies but add cost. It really does once again show that the EU is totally prepared to cut off its nose to spite its face.

Anyway, this definitely is my last post on this thread because it’s so obviously pointless continually banging my head against your brick wall attitude on Brexit.

509brexit - Brexit Watch - Page 26 Empty Re: Brexit Watch Fri Feb 11 2022, 11:03

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

510brexit - Brexit Watch - Page 26 Empty Re: Brexit Watch Fri Feb 11 2022, 12:06

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The voice of reason returns!

Well, I say reason.... Smile

511brexit - Brexit Watch - Page 26 Empty Re: Brexit Watch Fri Feb 11 2022, 12:17

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:The voice of reason returns!

All this nonsense about Brexit. I'm still trying to figure out why Desperate Dan is still living with his aunt Aggie.

512brexit - Brexit Watch - Page 26 Empty Re: Brexit Watch Fri Feb 11 2022, 12:17

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whitesince63 wrote:

The latest example of EU intransigence towards the UK is on the financial clearing issue. Implementing a series of punishments for banks who continue to use London after 2025 and don’t move clearance to those within the bloc, completely, ignores the fact that they can still use the US despite our regulation being identical to that within the EU. It also completely ignores the fact that splitting the clearing system will not only reduce efficiency for EU companies but add cost. It really does once again show that the EU is totally prepared to cut off its nose to spite its face.
That's a highly nuanced interpretation as shown by this article in the FT.

The EU just extended it's temporary arrangement with the UK by three years which to the impartial observer looks more like the EU offering an olive branch rather than being obstructive.

513brexit - Brexit Watch - Page 26 Empty Re: Brexit Watch Fri Feb 11 2022, 12:19

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
wanderlust wrote:The voice of reason returns!

All this nonsense about Brexit. I'm still trying to figure out why Desperate Dan is still living with his aunt Aggie.
She makes the best cow pies I bet?

514brexit - Brexit Watch - Page 26 Empty Re: Brexit Watch Mon Feb 14 2022, 14:49

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whitesince63 wrote:

Anyway, this definitely is my last post on this thread because it’s so obviously pointless continually banging my head against your brick wall attitude on Brexit.
Several more relevant stories out over the last few days, but I've come to a similar conclusion i.e. there's no point in discussing them as it's an ongoing litany of bad news which we'll never agree on and can't do anything about anyway, so I'll just sit back and let it unfold unless something dramatic or amusing pops up.
...like Steer Karmer ruling out rejoining the EU "if he ever becomes PM" Smile

515brexit - Brexit Watch - Page 26 Empty Re: Brexit Watch Tue Feb 22 2022, 11:51

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just a reminder: 200 nationalities, 1 NHS:

brexit - Brexit Watch - Page 26 FMB6YfzXoAYYjiv?format=jpg&name=small

516brexit - Brexit Watch - Page 26 Empty Re: Brexit Watch Mon Feb 28 2022, 12:10

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Will the UK join the EU in welcoming Ukrainian refugees?

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace is asked by BBC Breakfast what the UK is doing to help Ukrainian people fleeing the war.
He says that in the last few years Britain has been very generous to people coming from conflict or this type of oppression.
Asked if the UK is considering a move like the EU - which has unanimously voted that member states will take in Ukrainian refugees for three years with no need for a visa - he says that "was only announced yesterday".
He says: "We are open to all sorts of suggestions on how we can help people from Ukraine."

517brexit - Brexit Watch - Page 26 Empty Re: Brexit Watch Mon Feb 28 2022, 16:28

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:

Will the UK join the EU in welcoming Ukrainian refugees?

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace is asked by BBC Breakfast what the UK is doing to help Ukrainian people fleeing the war.
He says that in the last few years Britain has been very generous to people coming from conflict or this type of oppression.
Asked if the UK is considering a move like the EU - which has unanimously voted that member states will take in Ukrainian refugees for three years with no need for a visa - he says that "was only announced yesterday".
He says: "We are open to all sorts of suggestions on how we can help people from Ukraine."
It seems not.

It has been announced that up to a maximum of 100k Ukranians will be allowed to stay in the UK until the end of this year - providing they have relatives with British nationality.

518brexit - Brexit Watch - Page 26 Empty Re: Brexit Watch Sat Mar 05 2022, 09:46

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

519brexit - Brexit Watch - Page 26 Empty Re: Brexit Watch Tue Mar 29 2022, 14:06

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hot on the heels of the OBR's confirmation that Brexit has damaged the UK's trade, competitiveness and growth forecast for years to come , if not irrevocably, it seems that an all-party group of MPs and Peers is asking the European Court of Human Rights to sanction the government for it's failure to investigate Russian interference in the British democratic process with particular reference to the referendum and the general election.

OK it's common knowledge the the Russia report clearly demonstrated that both results were highly questionable (rigged IMO) and that those who benefited - the Tories - swept the report under the carpet - but why are these people taking it to the ECHR?

Surely they must know that even if they win, it won't change a thing -  Britons who believe in democracy will be saying they were right all along whilst the government and their apologists will continue to say we just have to live with it. Seems a pointless futile gesture to me.

520brexit - Brexit Watch - Page 26 Empty Re: Brexit Watch Wed Mar 30 2022, 14:33

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Despite the failure and then closure of the government's "Pick for Britain" scheme last year, it seems DEFRA and DWP are having another go at promoting fruit and veg picking as a career to try to resolve the Brexit labour shortage crisis according to the Independent and other sources.

30k temporary work visas are still on offer for foreign workers but unsurprisingly uptake has been very low, and even if they came it would still be far short of the number required to avoid another summer of British fruit and veg rotting in the fields.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 26 of 27]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum