Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dougie Freedman keen to ease burden on his back four

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dougie Freedman admits his back four are stretched to breaking point ahead of the visit of in-form Nottingham Forest.

With David Wheater, Marc Tierney and Tyrone Mears currently sidelined through injury the Wanderers boss has been down to his last four fit senior defenders since Kevin McNaughton’s return to Cardiff City.

Alex Baptiste has played 25 of the last 27 games, Matt Mills 18 of the last 19 while Tim Ream has featured in each of the Whites’ last 20 outings.

Compared with them, club captain Zat Knight is still relatively fresh, having started just four games after a lengthy spell on the margins, but even he has been under pressure after a couple of high-profile errors in the recent draw with Middlesbrough.

Freedman is working hard to bring in reinforcements but is having to do so within a tight budget, emphasised by the record £50.7million losses announced on New Year’s Eve.

“These poor guys (defenders) have played every single game and they have got to have some kind of rest by the end of February,” the Wanderers boss said.

“I am looking at that department but you know me, signings will only come in if they want to come here and price is right.”

Freedman is currently looking at loan signings to supplement his squad but could find a little cash is freed should some of the bigger earners leave the Reebok.

But David Ngog’s proposed move to Turkish club Bursaspor has not progressed any further than an enquiry and Wanderers have reported no interest in any other members of the first-team squad.

With that in mind, Freedman is currently drawing up two shortlists to serve him through the rest of the month.

“At the moment I am working very hard on the loan market to try to get one or two in,” he said.

“Then it’s maybe one or two buys, if something happens.

“I need to look at my players in case someone comes in and gets them. I can't make too many noises, but we are working very hard.”

Forest, fresh from a 5-0 hammering of West Ham in the FA Cup, are undefeated in their last eight games and currently sit fifth, 13 points ahead of Wanderers in the table.

Source

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We all know the back four needs strengthening so Dougie's task is relatively straightforward - either hope to sell one or more of the high-earning forward players to have the funds to buy or promote the likes of Bolger and Threkeld to give the current back four a break.

Can't see a queue of clubs trying to sign our big earners nor can I see them wanting to leave given the fat contracts that some are on so I imagine we'll get a look at Bolger before long.

BTW it was gutting to watch Marcos Alonso lining up for Sunderland against Manure the other night. He isn't the greatest but we could sure do with him now.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:

“These poor guys (defenders) have played every single game and they have got to have some kind of rest by the end of February,” the Wanderers boss said.

I actually find that statement offensive.

These are not "poor guys". They are highly paid professional footballers doing their job - a job they only need to do for 90 minutes twice a week.

Some people die doing their job.

Fuck off Freedman you twat.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nat - has Dougie taken a shit on your doorstep recently? your tirades about Dougie seem to have increased recently (as have my own to be honest)

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
karlypants wrote:

I actually find that statement offensive.

These are not "poor guys". They are highly paid professional footballers doing their job - a job they only need to do for 90 minutes twice a week.

Some people die doing their job.

Fuck off Freedman you twat.

Very predictable but I can't say it doesn't piss me off as well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum