Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Freedman better than Big Sam

+19
Tigermin
Reebok Trotter
MartinBWFC
Natasha Whittam
Hipster_Nebula
luckyPeterpiper
wanderlust
Angry Dad
Soul Kitchen
Culcheth_White
Banks of the Croal
doffcocker
gloswhite
Mr Magoo
bryan458
boltonbonce
JAH
scottjames30
Bolton Nuts
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

31Freedman better than Big Sam - Page 3 Empty Re: Freedman better than Big Sam Thu Jan 16 2014, 16:37

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:

Contrary to popular opinion, I think he's doing a decent job if this is his brief in reality. However I think that some fans think he is there to get us promoted (despite the reality of our situation) which is why he gets stick.

He gets stick because he is the most negative Bolton manager of recent years, tactically inept, and one of the least inspirational people in football.

The only people who think he is doing a good job are those that aren't paying to watch his shite.

32Freedman better than Big Sam - Page 3 Empty Re: Freedman better than Big Sam Thu Jan 16 2014, 17:12

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

Contrary to popular opinion, I think he's doing a decent job if this is his brief in reality. However I think that some fans think he is there to get us promoted (despite the reality of our situation) which is why he gets stick.

He gets stick because he is the most negative Bolton manager of recent years, tactically inept, and one of the least inspirational people in football.

The only people who think he is doing a good job are those that aren't paying to watch his shite.

He is fairly negative which is understandable considering how we were getting slaughtered every game when he started with 2 strikers early doors and our defence made mistake after mistake. That said, the marginal improvements since then gave him the confidence to try two strikers again last week which was fine until Beckford got crocked. That implies to me that he would like to be more attacking if and when he gets rid of the likes of Andrews and Mears and frees up some cash to get a more reliable defence.

I disagree with some of his tactics and selections but I also recognise that his hand has been forced and until he gets the squad he needs he will continue to make unpopular decisions as he hasn't got the luxury of multiple tactical options. He would have more options if he was willing to risk some of the younger players, but he's not and I can't argue with that as I don't watch them train all week.

Inspirational to whom? I don't think it's the manager's job to inspire the fans and I've no idea whether or not he inspires the players - although they trot out the party line in the media about it.

I agree that a fair bit of shite is being dished up, but that can't all be laid at Dougie's door. Some of that responsibility has to lie with the previous managers, the squad and a fair bit of bad luck.

33Freedman better than Big Sam - Page 3 Empty Re: Freedman better than Big Sam Thu Jan 16 2014, 17:13

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

George Graham at Arsenal was described as a negative manager. 1-0 to the Arsenal and all that. He was also extremely successful and the Arsenal fans still hold him in high regard.

It's not as if Dougie has had sackfuls of cash to spend on players. Personally, I think his loan signings have been pretty solid. Even Mourinho and Fergie would struggle to get promoted with the team that Dougie inherited.

34Freedman better than Big Sam - Page 3 Empty Re: Freedman better than Big Sam Thu Jan 16 2014, 21:50

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote: Even Mourinho and Fergie would struggle to get promoted with the team that Dougie inherited.

Are you for real, Mourinho is one of the best man managers that the world has ever seen, he turns average players into team winning super-stars.

And Fergie won the European cup with the mighty Aberdeen . scratch

35Freedman better than Big Sam - Page 3 Empty Re: Freedman better than Big Sam Thu Jan 16 2014, 22:00

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

True. But both of them had decent budgets to work with.

36Freedman better than Big Sam - Page 3 Empty Re: Freedman better than Big Sam Thu Jan 16 2014, 22:15

Tigermin

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Fuck me we have won a couple of games because he reverted back to 4-4-2 not by choice,what about the utter dross we have been watching for the last 12 months with his team selections and tactics ??? We have got beat by the shittest teams in this shite division,he made knightmare Captain then dumped him. He made Spearing Captain and he has been utter shite since. What goes on in the dressing room,training ground etc etc is effing baffling but watching him and Lennie on the touch line is pure effing pantomime and those of you who dont go and watch but feel free to comment on here from their armchairs can fuck off !!
At least Pratley hasnt played for a couple of weeks and boom boom surprise surprise we didnt get beat !!!! Well done Dougie your a fucking marvel !!

37Freedman better than Big Sam - Page 3 Empty Re: Freedman better than Big Sam Thu Jan 16 2014, 22:18

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

The team Dougie inherited was hardly getting slaughtered every week. It was just a team that would have spent the season winning one, losing one then drawing one which is only good enough if you're aiming for mid-table. 

It took him a while to turn things round. He spent his first twenty or so matches doing what he's been doing this season, fucking around with various negative formations, for no other reason, in my opinion, than fashion. 
Finally, around February he started to go for it with two wide players and two forwards and it made us clinical at worst.

38Freedman better than Big Sam - Page 3 Empty Re: Freedman better than Big Sam Fri Jan 17 2014, 06:20

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:True. But both of them had decent budgets to work with.

But, on paper we have a good squad 'in the championship' , so i'm sure a top top football coach could do somethong with our squad, F or M would have us back in the PL before you could say David Icke.

39Freedman better than Big Sam - Page 3 Empty Re: Freedman better than Big Sam Fri Jan 17 2014, 06:57

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I wish people would drop this "Dougie hasn't had a decent budget" crap! It's total bullshit! Who in this division has and who is doing well?

40Freedman better than Big Sam - Page 3 Empty Fri Jan 17 2014, 07:45

JAH wrote:Who in this division has and who is doing well?

QPR
Forest
Leicester
Wigan
Watford

Then there are teams like Brighton, Huddersfield and Derby who are spending a bit to try and grow the side year on year. Whereas Dougie is having to reduce the budget year on year.

41Freedman better than Big Sam - Page 3 Empty Re: Freedman better than Big Sam Fri Jan 17 2014, 09:35

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We haven't got a great squad though - it's littered with posers on fat contracts who are basically seeing their time out here as they know they won't get a better deal anywhere else.
We know Dougie has tried several permutations to try to get it right with what he's got (until he can move the high earning under-performers on) and he's been let down badly.
I understand that this is viewed as tactical failure, but he has given all the high earners the opportunity to show what they can do at one time or another and he's trying to move them on as fast as possible to make way for players with an appetite for the game.
And that is Dougie's budget i.e. what he can save on over-inflated wages. Fortunately, time is up for a few of them in the summer and maybe then we can start to build on solid foundations.

42Freedman better than Big Sam - Page 3 Empty Re: Freedman better than Big Sam Sat Jan 18 2014, 08:57

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

The fly in your positive argument is that Freedman wouldn't know a player if it hit him in the face. Once he's presided over getting our highly paid players off the books, what will he replace them with? McNaughton, Mason et al who are below average and don't compare to the N'Gogs, Chungy's, Davvo who will be leaving. Basically we'll be left with rubbish and just slide even further with support likewise.

I fully accept the limitations Freedman has but personally I think in both his attitude, ideas and team performances he's proved only that he isn't up to the job and the sooner he's gone the better.

wanderlust wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

Agree with this, apart from Freedman's brief. Anyone expecting promotion from our current position with the current squad is dreaming. We are average at best.
I think Freedman's brief is to stop us sliding even further and any turnaround in our fortunes isn't going to happen quickly.
Mears is a good example. We need him, and a few others to get off our books asap so that Dougie at least has a chance of reshaping the team into one that can realistically challenge for promotion without breaking the bank. But naturally enough for a mercenary, Mears wants to stay as he's on a good screw.

At the end of the season, there's a good chance that Dougie will be well along the road of clearing  out the dead (and expensive) wood. All we need to do is survive in this division until then.

Only when we get there will Dougie have freed up some cash to start shaping the squad with players "with the right DNA" (sic)

We can only hope that he has the skills to use it wisely, but that is not today's problem. Dougie's immediate tasks are clearing out and survival IMO.
So far he's clearly doing all he can to get rid of the dead wood either by terminating youth contracts or sending players out on loan wherever he can.
The loanees he's brought in and the few signings he's made are equally clearly geared towards survival - with a few prospects for the future also purchased.

I have been of the same opinion for some time but am reluctant to express it for fear of being branded a happy clapper. Wink 

The irony is that you're realistic about our situation so are probably far less deluded than those who think Dougie is failing because we're not competing at the top of the table.

Don't think either of us are as yet convinced Dougie is the man to take us to the top of the league in the foreseeable future, but there again neither of us think that is the job in hand anyway.

43Freedman better than Big Sam - Page 3 Empty Re: Freedman better than Big Sam Sat Jan 18 2014, 10:05

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

63, give it a rest

44Freedman better than Big Sam - Page 3 Empty Re: Freedman better than Big Sam Sat Jan 18 2014, 11:37

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Boggersbelief wrote:63, give it a rest

Boggers, he's had money, he inherited one of the best squads in the division and with a number of young fringe players ready to be blooded in the first team. He's used every possible excuse to lay the blame elsewhere rather than work and develop what he had so please don't give me the sob stories he's conning you with. I'll give it a rest only when this useless arrogant, clown leaves so we can start to enjoy going to the Reebok and see some decent football again.

45Freedman better than Big Sam - Page 3 Empty Re: Freedman better than Big Sam Sat Jan 18 2014, 12:04

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He's had no money at all, he's been brought in because he's proven to be able work under financial constraints. All this talk about us having one of the best squads in the division is rubbish, if the players were any good we'd be up there with QPR and Leicester, regardless of the manager.

Looking at the bigger picture dougie has done a reasonable job, he's slowly bringing through the youngsters and lowering the wage bill, until he can get rid of all the high earners and bring in people that want to play for us he's stuck. We are moving forward I know that for sure

46Freedman better than Big Sam - Page 3 Empty Re: Freedman better than Big Sam Sat Jan 18 2014, 12:16

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:He's had no money at all, he's been brought in because he's proven to be able work under financial constraints. All this talk about us having one of the best squads in the division is rubbish, if the players were any good we'd be up there with QPR and Leicester, regardless of the manager.

Looking at the bigger picture dougie has done a reasonable job, he's slowly bringing through the youngsters and lowering the wage bill, until he can get rid of all the high earners and bring in people that want to play for us he's stuck. We are moving forward I know that for sure

What a load of bollocks. Just because you have a decent squad doesn't mean you are guaranteed to finish "up there with QPR and Leicester" or why would we need a manager? An average manager would have had these ponces at least pushing for the play-offs.

No money? What did we use to buy Spearing and Beckford? Or fund one of the highest wage bills in the league. Or are Baptiste, Tierney, Spearing etc being paid in chocolate? We have more financial resources than the majority of the Championship.

Bringing through the youngsters? Ha ha, he hasn't blooded a single youngster since he became manager.

But most importantly in the 12+ months since he became manager we have made no progress. We are still near the relegation zone, still as boring, with absolutely no green shoots of recovery on the horizon.

He must go.

47Freedman better than Big Sam - Page 3 Empty Re: Freedman better than Big Sam Sat Jan 18 2014, 13:47

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Its never black or white its a mixture of both viewpoints, Once we were relegated the vast majority expected us to bounce back due to the strength of the squad, Coyle screwed up, Dougie took to long to set out his stall, hence we just missed out.

Close season due to the push we expect to mount a challenge, we have a squad full of premiership experience, BUT financial reality kicks in we can't even afford the wages for two loan players (alarm bells) We have a the worst start imaginable.  The fans want the big earners off the wage bill to free up cash for Dougie. This is were 63 is correct to do that we will offload quality players (not performing) and replace with Joe averages (Mason etc). 

The result will not be a squad that makes a push, it will result in Bolton Wanderers having a Championship mid table squad, So becareful what you wish for.

remember how hard it was to establish ourselves in the top flight? that's through lack of quality.

48Freedman better than Big Sam - Page 3 Empty Re: Freedman better than Big Sam Sat Jan 18 2014, 17:07

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Heh!

49Freedman better than Big Sam - Page 3 Empty Re: Freedman better than Big Sam Sat Jan 18 2014, 17:12

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Dougie is only better than Sam at one thing. Spouting bullshit that means nothing while the ship sinks under his feet.

50Freedman better than Big Sam - Page 3 Empty Re: Freedman better than Big Sam Sat Jan 18 2014, 17:17

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:Dougie is only better than Sam at one thing. Spouting bullshit that means nothing while the ship sinks under his feet.

Dunno - Allardyce is a master of that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum