Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'Nucleus of the squad is not good enough' says boss Dougie Freedman

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dougie Freedman will not be walking away from a challenge he still feels he can win at Wanderers.

The odds appear to be stacking against the Scot, who came under fierce criticism from supporters in the aftermath of a 7-1 mauling at Reading.

And despite a result that leaves Wanderers four points away from the Championship drop zone, Freedman is still focussing on the longer term.

In the build up to Saturday’s horror show the Whites boss has said the game would provide a good yardstick for his side’s development. Moreover, he insisted that the play-offs were still a realistic possibility.

Those words looked empty in the aftermath of such a disastrous display – with concern more turned towards relegation than any late surge up the table.

Freedman came out fighting after the final whistle, blaming the situation he inherited a little more than a year ago for the struggles currently being faced by the club.

And for that reason he believes he will be backed to complete the job he has started at the Reebok.

“I still take it for granted that I am in this for the long haul because I am trying to build something up from scratch,” he said.

“Along that way you are seeing players who are frankly not good enough for the football club. I have to work with these players and train with them until I can get recruitment in.

“I know I have been here 14-15 months but there is still a nucleus of players who are simply not good enough for the football club. And you can’t move them on because football players these days earn that much money, you can’t move them, so you have to work with them.

“I’ve seen flashes of good play. But they can’t maintain it.

“My position hasn’t changed. I still want to be in it for the long haul and get some honest performances out of these players.”

Furthermore, Freedman refuses to believe Wanderers will struggle to stave off relegation.

“I don’t believe that,” he said. “We see flashes of very good play in this team and that result I just didn’t see coming.

“We need to make sure we get together and sort this out.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum