Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I understand the boo boys, says Bolton Wanderers debutant Liam Trotter

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Liam Trotter has attempted to add a fresh perspective ahead of tonight’s derby with Burnley, insisting Wanderers’ situation is not as desperate as it may seem.

Dougie Freedman’s side were left clinging to a point on Saturday, having held a 2-0 lead over Bournemouth at one stage.

The consequent outpouring of frustration from supporters said everything about the current mood around the town but Trotter has urged the club not to dwell on the disappointment.

Some eyebrows were raised when Freedman recruited another midfielder on transfer deadline day, but if the former Millwall man can be as articulate and expressive with a football as he was in a post-match interview, he will quickly win over any doubters.

With boos and jeers still fresh in the memory, Trotter believes the club are not far away from turning round their wretched run of form.

“You hear the crowd and understand their frustration because as players we’ve got those same feelings,” he said.

“We want the win as much as they do.

“At 2-0 up you should expect to win the game. I don’t know how much more could be done about the first goal but the second was disappointing.

“It’s easy to sit and talk but as players I think we’ve just got to keep going. “You can’t sit and wallow and say ‘we were 2-0 up’ when there is a local derby (up next).

"If we allow ourselves to do that we’re not preparing for Burnley properly and giving ourselves no chance at all.”

Tonight’s opponents have lost just three times all season, defying the bookmakers’ odds to cling on to Leicester City’s coattails at the top of the table.

As a result, Wanderers probably go into the derby as underdogs – a tag Trotter hopes could take some pressure off as they search for only their second win in 11 league games.

“We need that win from somewhere because it has been a little while,” he said.

“You’d take three points no matter how it comes. Then perhaps we can start looking up the table rather than over our shoulders.

“You have got to have a gameplan. You can’t just turn up – as much as commitment, workrate and desire are important in football, you need an idea, you need to play smartly.

“Performances are the most important thing. Even if you lose three games in a row but feel you have played well in those games, you can still feel good about yourself.

“And I think that at the end of the day it will level out. Performances will then justify the results.

“We need to concentrate on getting more and more performances like the first 40 minutes against Bournemouth. If we do that, I know we’ll win more games than we lose.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum