Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stop it!

+4
wanderlust
boltonbonce
NickFazer
Soul Kitchen
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Stop it! Empty Stop it! Sat Jul 19 2014, 01:34

After having spent some time talking about music on, surprisingly enough, the Music Thread tonight I finally turned my attention to the telly-box again to see what was on.

T in the park was on BBC2 and having attended that particular Scottish festival in the past (1999 and 2000), I tuned in, in the full knowledge that there would be a load of new bands I'd never heard of plying their wares, but thought there would be enough "older music" to keep me interested - I saw Joe Strummer play live not long before he croaked back in '99.

Anyroad, as I tuned in, The Pixies were on stage.

Get in!

Frank Black was a cool icon back in my day and Debaser was always a show-stopper in Student Ritzy's back in the late 80's.

Imagine how disappointed I was to see Mr Black (not even his real name, the twat) mumbling through the lyrics, whilst the rest of the band (average age about twenty five) tried to look like they gave a shit.

I saw The Pixies in 1989 and they were fucking brilliant.

Back then, it was the people who wrote the songs playing them and they cared about how their music sounded live.

Unlike today when it's more about Fat Frank making a few bob.

The Pixies aren't alone in this, there's a whole industry built around cashing in on nostalgia and stupid kids who've heard a band's name and think they'll look cool to their mates if they can say they've seen them live.

My sister saw The New York Dolls at Old Trafford a few years back supporting somebody (no idea who but I bet they were shit 'cos her musical taste has always been clueless) and she said it was frankly embarrassing......but she could always say she'd seen them live and I hadn't.

I said, fuck me, I was 3 when Jet Boy came out and you were -2 for fuck's sake!

I said "How did Johnny Thunders look?" and she just looked at me blankly and said "Yeah....good."

Point proven.

Listen Muso's.....you've made yer money. Stop dragging it out. You have already got that beach house in Malibu that you wanted, so how much more do you want?

You have a legacy to protect and some of us would prefer to remember you as you were, so stop agreeing to do these cash-generating tours for the record companies.

Pissed up rant over, time for bed.

2Stop it! Empty Re: Stop it! Sat Jul 19 2014, 08:38

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Very enjoyable rant bread, I saw Blondie a few years ago and DH is well and truly fucked. I was in the kazi after the gig and this guy was ballooning on about how great her voice was!! She'd have made a balls up of "Wandering Star" that night. 
As for the New York Dolls I saw them as support to Alice Cooper a couple of years ago, who can still cut it by the way, and though they've never been my bag they weren't half bad.

3Stop it! Empty Re: Stop it! Sat Jul 19 2014, 10:11

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Saw Pixies at Castlefield the other week and they were great. Maybe they weren't great at T and I was disappointed Kim Deal pulled out of the tour but shit happens. There is always an element of looking back with rose tinted specs as well.

4Stop it! Empty Re: Stop it! Sat Jul 19 2014, 10:15

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Anyone been watching 'The joy of the guitar riff' on BBC4? Great stuff,catch it on the iplayer.

5Stop it! Empty Re: Stop it! Sat Jul 19 2014, 11:51

boltonbonce wrote:Anyone been watching 'The joy of the guitar riff' on BBC4? Great stuff,catch it on the iplayer.

Recorded it last night.

Will be watching it later.

BBC4 comes up trumps yet again.

6Stop it! Empty Re: Stop it! Sat Jul 19 2014, 12:55

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I watched T in the park too and enjoyed it even though the majority were pop artists I didn't know although I know the tunes.

When I lived in Scotland in the 70s I thought musical tastes were much broader and there was less of a generational divide than in England and I presume the same applies today. There are quite a few countries where kids are brought up with their parents and grandparents music and respect and like it enough to put in on their Ipods alongside the newer music of their generation. To me it seems that in England kids are more concerned about generational identity than elsewhere.
For example my missus who went to school in Belgium likes Jacques Brel ("the Belgian Bob Dylan") who was f****** dire IMO - but loads of French and Belgian kids play his stuff and everyone knows the 70s icon. There are equivalents all over the world, but there don't appear to be as many English kids who give 60s/70s/80s English music equal playtime.
Maybe it's just me but I can understand why a fair number of Scottish kids are into bands like the Pixies and singers like Black Francis.

7Stop it! Empty Re: Stop it! Sat Jul 19 2014, 20:03

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Just got tickets for the Specials O2 Apollo Manchester November 11th can't wait bit of Ska get Fred Perry t shirt and a pair of DM's for the night or maybe not the DM's Lol.
Too much too young,Message to you Rudy.All the old classics.
Seen them on Sky Arts HD in Liverpool so went on line n me n my pal are going.should be a great Night.

8Stop it! Empty Re: Stop it! Sat Jul 19 2014, 20:05

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

White84 wrote:Just got tickets for the Specials O2 Apollo Manchester November 11th can't wait bit of Ska get Fred Perry t shirt and a pair of DM's for the night or maybe not the DM's Lol.
Too much too young,Message to you Rudy.All the old classics.
Seen them on Sky Arts HD in Liverpool so went on line n me n my pal are going.should be a great Night.

How old are you 84? I can't decide if you're 12 or 62.

9Stop it! Empty Re: Stop it! Sat Jul 19 2014, 20:14

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

48 Nat 49 in January 50's the new 30.
No way was my dad like me in his forties.But he's still going strong at 74 n my mum is 70 they've just come back from a cruise always on holiday.they took in St Petersburg,some part of the east side of Germany which they said was lovely n Norway was Apparantley very expensive,for a bottle of lager and a coffee at one of the stop offs £11.My dad said its apparantley one of the most expensive country's in the World to live and there's only 4 million or 5 million people who live there.So I got told!

10Stop it! Empty Re: Stop it! Sat Jul 19 2014, 22:03

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Whats it matter how old he is, he likes the Specials and that's that?!

11Stop it! Empty Re: Stop it! Sat Jul 19 2014, 22:04

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

My mate is 63 and he likes Rudimental, is he too old?

12Stop it! Empty Re: Stop it! Sat Jul 19 2014, 22:18

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Soul Kitchen wrote:Whats it matter how old he is, he likes the Specials and that's that?!

Exactly.

13Stop it! Empty Re: Stop it! Sat Jul 19 2014, 22:31

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Thanks lads top band

14Stop it! Empty Re: Stop it! Sat Jul 19 2014, 22:32

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

When I was younger and just getting into music I liked Creedence Clearwater Revival, Cream, Budgie, Bread, Uriah Heap, Jethro Tull,  America, The Doobie Brothers, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Golden Earring, Black Sabbath, Meatloaf, Pink Floyd, Osibisa, Rainbow, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, The Hollies, etc etc.

Music is all about personal choice. One mans meat is another mans poison . I was always a big fan of Chris Rea. I saw him perform at the old GMex centre in Manchester  and he played solidly for an hour and a half with no break. He came back on for an encore and did another two songs and you honestly couldn't fault his performance.

I watched Jon Bon Jovi at Old Trafford and we had a tremendous night other than the venue!  Wink 

I'm probably making myself look a prat now but I watched Madonna play at Leeds many years ago and we had a great night and I also bought tickets for Pink at the Reebok and I thought she was absolutely brilliant, and I'm the wrong side of 55.

15Stop it! Empty Re: Stop it! Sun Jul 20 2014, 10:15

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i went to see the Sugargill gang the other night, it was a good gig especially if you're an old school hip hop lover like me. They even had Melle Mel from the Furious Five so it was great when they did the likes of Apache, Rappers Delight and White Lines, but the rest of the songs was them rapping over other peoples songs. It turned into a hip hop karaoke but was still good to see some of the pioneers of hip hop live on stage.

16Stop it! Empty Re: Stop it! Sun Jul 20 2014, 12:44

Norpig wrote:i went to see the Sugargill gang the other night, it was a good gig especially if you're an old school hip hop lover like me. They even had Melle Mel from the Furious Five so it was great when they did the likes of Apache, Rappers Delight and White Lines, but the rest of the songs was them rapping over other peoples songs. It turned into a hip hop karaoke but was still good to see some of the pioneers of hip hop live on stage.
Re - Rapper's Delight, when he says "Hi my name is Wonder Mike and I'd like to say hello", my sister, who is younger than me, used to think he said "Wondermash" and so, even now, whenever I hear it I think of instant mashed potato.

Song ruined.....

17Stop it! Empty Re: Stop it! Sun Jul 20 2014, 12:46

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

it wa great to actually hear it live, i think it was Wonder Mike and Master G from the original line up and Melle Mel thrown in for good measure!

18Stop it! Empty Re: Stop it! Sun Jul 20 2014, 12:51

You can't beat a bit of old school rap (not like today's shit which isn't even rap half the time.)

Public Enemy were great live when I saw them years ago (if a bit scary for me and the only other white bloke in the crowd) and AfriKa Bambaataa was fucking mental when I saw him.

EPMD were decent live too.

Happy days....

19Stop it! Empty Re: Stop it! Sun Jul 20 2014, 12:53

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Grandmaster Flash is doing a DJ set at Gorilla in Manchester soon!

20Stop it! Empty Re: Stop it! Sun Jul 20 2014, 13:03

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Public Enemy were great live when I saw them years ago (if a bit scary for me and the only other white bloke in the crowd)

I'm a fucking woman!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum