You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Is Modern Music Shite?

Is Modern Music Shite?

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1 Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 12:31

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
When I was a kid listening to Public Enemy and London Posse my Dad used to send the butler up to my room to tell me to "turn that bloody shite down". And then round the table during our evening meal he would bang on about how the music of today was a disgrace and he pitied the youth who had to listen to such crap.

I vowed I would never become like my Dad but yesterday I found myself saying "they don't make music like they used to" to my nephew who was listening to some pop-dance shite that would have made Jason Donovan cringe.

I'm right though aren't I, the music being made today is soulless and the people making it have the personalities of a BWFC happy clapper.

For me the 90's were the business, I feel privileged to have grown up through that era. But is everyone just nostalgic for the era when they were a teenager because that's when they were most interested in music? Or am I right, is modern music shite?

2 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 12:55

Soul Kitchen

avatar
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
Depends what you are into.
Despite my age and the fact I was into music back into the 60's I have quite a liking for Rudimental and Disclosure, a bit similar, aren't half bad.
Would have thought One Direction would be right up your street!!

3 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 13:10

Guest


Guest
Modern music is 99% shite.

I don't think anybody could rationally argue against that statement - you all know it's true.

What I want to know is when did R&B go from meaning The Stones and The Yardbirds to shit like this:




How can that bollocks be classed as Rhythm & Blues......?

4 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 13:10

Guest


Guest
All mainstream music is shit nowadays, if you know where to look there's plenty of brilliant stuff though.

5 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 13:18

Guest


Guest
I hope you're not referring to the bored mice running up and down on a Bontempi organ that you posted last night....?

Listening to that actually made me go to bed in the end because I fell asleep twice.....

6 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 13:23

Guest


Guest
Axel Bolman's popular at the moment, definitely growing in this country. Don't be so arrogant as to think  the only good music is yours. It's subjective.

7 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 13:24

Guest


Guest
And if what you've posted above is the limit of your 'modern music' knowledge then it's no wonder you think it's shit. You don't know where to look.

8 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 13:25

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Still some great modern music around,even if a lot of it harks back to earlier times. Sarah Jarosz,for instance is a young woman with immense talent. If you get a chance to see her and her band it will be well worth the effort.

9 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 13:28

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I can only really speak for hip-hop as that's the music world I live in. I remember turning on MTV in the 90's and there would always be a cool hip-hop tune playing. Turn it on now and it's full of muscle bound wankers rapping about money and partying. Absolute bullshit.

Where is the rage in modern music?

10 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 13:28

Guest


Guest
bwfc1874 wrote:Axel Bolman's popular at the moment, definitely growing in this country. 

If that's true, it reinforces Whittam's point.

Modern music buyers are settling for bland shite and being fooled into thinking it's good.

I once heard Coldplay referred to as a "rock" band.....

They're about as Rock & Roll as a Sunday school picnic....

Music's supposed to stir the emotions and get you going, not make you yawn and go to bed.......

11 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 13:31

Guest


Guest
There is some decent Hip Hop out there still, Nat.

Check dis out, Boyeeeeee!

12 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 13:32

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Cold play are musical haemorrhoids.

13 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 13:32

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Breadman wrote:

Modern music buyers are settling for bland shite and being fooled into thinking it's good.


I think bland is the best way to describe modern music. Artists know there's loads of cash to be made from music-by-numbers with no balls or message.

14 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 13:33

Guest


Guest
Again Coldplay? Your naming shit mainstream acts.

Name some other 'modern musicians' you know - I'm sure they are shit but that probably says more about where you find music than anything else. 

Your attitude to this is the same as everything else,  it was all better before and everything's gone shit now and you're right and nobody else has a clue. I really can't be bothered with it to be honest, just accept other people have different taste to you and it doesn't make them wrong.

15 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 13:39

Guest


Guest
bwfc1874 wrote:Again Coldplay? Your naming shit mainstream acts.

Name some other 'modern musicians' you know - I'm sure they are shit but that probably says more about where you find music than anything else. 

Your attitude to this is the same as everything else,  it was all better before and everything's gone shit now and you're right and nobody else has a clue. I really can't be bothered with it to be honest, just accept other people have different taste to you and it doesn't make them wrong.

Do you ever stop for a minute and think "Maybe I'm taking this too seriously?"

I'm taking the piss.

Don't get your knickers in a twist....

16 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 13:40

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
This is fucking brilliant. Real music. Drink it in you lowbrows.

17 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 14:31

Boggersbelief

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
This forum needs to attract a younger audience...

18 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 14:34

Norpig

avatar
Jussi Jääskeläinen
Jussi Jääskeläinen
i'm 42 and still love discovering new music and going to see gigs, there are plenty of great new bands and musicians out there if you know where to look. By the way Nat i used to love London Posse as well!

There are a couple of great new hip hop bands around, Young Fathers and Ratking to name a couple and loads of other indie or alternative bands that are great and there are too many to mention here.. Its my passion discovering new music but as i've got older my tastes have broadened and i have been listening to stuff from before i was born.

I've discovered a love for Bob Dylan, Nick Drake and been listening to a lot of the old blues musicians, i also downloaded the Faces best of the other day as well.

Going to gigs is my other passion and now i live in Manchester its all on my doorstep!

19 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 14:35

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Boggersbelief wrote:This forum needs to attract a younger audience...

Any ideas?

20 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 14:36

Guest


Guest
Breadman wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:Again Coldplay? Your naming shit mainstream acts.

Name some other 'modern musicians' you know - I'm sure they are shit but that probably says more about where you find music than anything else. 

Your attitude to this is the same as everything else,  it was all better before and everything's gone shit now and you're right and nobody else has a clue. I really can't be bothered with it to be honest, just accept other people have different taste to you and it doesn't make them wrong.

Do you ever stop for a minute and think "Maybe I'm taking this too seriously?"

I'm taking the piss.

Don't get your knickers in a twist....

Which part was taking the piss? You actually think modern music is great?

21 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 14:39

Natasha Whittam

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Norpig wrote:

There are a couple of great new hip hop bands around, Young Fathers and Ratking

Right, I'll check them out. They'd better be good or a death threat will be coming your way.

22 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 14:43

Guest


Guest
London Posse were ok, but I was more into American stuff like KRS-1, Big Daddy Kane, Stetsasonic, PE, Tyree Cooper and the like.

The British stuff used to sound a bit like a poor copy of the "proper" stuff for me.

23 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 14:45

Hipster_Nebula

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I don't pay attention to music like I used too in the 90's, but I can't imagine the alternative scene is as vibrant as it was then. 

Even what you might consider the "mild/pop" side of the alternative scene was amazing, Mazzy Star, Liz Phair, Fiona Apple, Hayden, Sneaker Pimps, R.E.M etc etc

24 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 14:49

Norpig

avatar
Jussi Jääskeläinen
Jussi Jääskeläinen
Hipster_Nebula wrote:I don't pay attention to music like I used too in the 90's, but I can't imagine the alternative scene is as vibrant as it was then. 

Even what you might consider the "mild/pop" side of the alternative scene was amazing, Mazzy Star, Liz Phair, Fiona Apple, Hayden, Sneaker Pimps, R.E.M etc etc
 Trust me Hipster there are loads of great new bands out there, have a look at a site called anydecentmusic, it pools all the reviews together and gives an average score. You can listen to songs from the albums on the website or thye have their own spotify playlist.

25 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 14:52

Norpig

avatar
Jussi Jääskeläinen
Jussi Jääskeläinen
Breadman wrote:London Posse were ok, but I was more into American stuff like KRS-1, Big Daddy Kane, Stetsasonic, PE, Tyree Cooper and the like.

The British stuff used to sound a bit like a poor copy of the "proper" stuff for me.

the Britsh stuff wasn't always the best but there were a few good British acts like Ruthless Rap Assassins and the early Stereo MC's albums were great, but you're right the American stuff was always better. I still listen to a lot of old school stuff now like Mantronix and Eric B & Rakim

26 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 14:54

Boggersbelief

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Natasha Whittam wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:This forum needs to attract a younger audience...

Any ideas?

Shipping out you older members is first needed. You're scaring them away

27 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 15:03

Guest


Guest
Norpig,

I still regularly "travel at magnificent speeds around the universe" as well.  Very Happy 

Brilliant album that one.

What about EPMD?

Strictly Business is a classic album in my view.

28 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 15:07

Guest


Guest
Agree with that Bread, strictly business and unfinished business are two great albums. Have you listened to any Main Source?

29 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 15:09

Norpig

avatar
Jussi Jääskeläinen
Jussi Jääskeläinen
agree Breaders, had that on tape years ago so need to dig it our or download it again. I used to love Gangstarr and Ice Cube as well. Then it all went bitches and hoes and i lost interest until recently when i heard Ratking.

30 Re: Is Modern Music Shite? on Sun Aug 17 2014, 15:14

Guest


Guest
bwfc1874 wrote:Agree with that Bread, strictly business and unfinished business are two great albums. Have you listened to any Main Source?

Good call!

I'd forgotten about them.

I think I've still got a copy of Breaking Atoms somewhere on tape.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum