Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Books.

+22
sunlight
DEANO82
Sluffy
wessy
gloswhite
Bwfc1958
Chairmanda
Cajunboy
karlypants
Lard Lad
Bollotom2014
Bread2.0
finlaymcdanger
Norpig
wanderlust
xmiles
Keegan
Natasha Whittam
scottjames30
Mr Magoo
Reebok Trotter
okocha
26 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 16]

61books - Books. - Page 4 Empty Re: Books. Tue Jan 10 2017, 17:58

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I had a look at the time but it was about thirty quid so (and apologies for this), I swerved it.

Just checked now and it's gone down to twenty five.

If I leave it for another couple of years it might become affordable.  Very Happy

62books - Books. - Page 4 Empty Re: Books. Tue Jan 10 2017, 18:12

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bread2.0 wrote:I had a look at the time but it was about thirty quid so (and apologies for this), I swerved it.

Just checked now and it's gone down to twenty five.

If I leave it for another couple of years it might become affordable.  Very Happy
You can read it here for free,you miserly git.

http://eldritchpress.org/carp/index.html

Or try AbeBooks.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=15265457833&searchurl=isbn%3D1598180355%26sortby%3D17

63books - Books. - Page 4 Empty Re: Books. Tue Jan 10 2017, 18:43

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Cheers, matey.

I've actually just found it for £7.54 so I've bought a copy.

If it's shit........

While we're on books, have you read any Mick Herron?

Like Le Carre but without the boring endings that leave you scratching your head and feeling flat.

64books - Books. - Page 4 Empty Re: Books. Tue Jan 10 2017, 18:52

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Hang on.......I'm confused (again) now.

Is "Augustus Carp, Esq,. By Himself" by Henry Howarth Bashford the same book as "Augustus Carp, Esq,: Being The Autobiography of a Really Good Man" by Henry Howarth Bashford?

Because if it's not, I've just bought the wrong book.

65books - Books. - Page 4 Empty Re: Books. Tue Jan 10 2017, 18:55

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

...and it also transpires that the one I've just bought is in bastard Spanish.

66books - Books. - Page 4 Empty Re: Books. Tue Jan 10 2017, 18:58

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bread2.0 wrote:...and it also transpires that the one I've just bought is in bastard Spanish.
:rofl:

68books - Books. - Page 4 Empty Re: Books. Tue Jan 10 2017, 19:09

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I shouldn't laugh. I once bought a gadget that made my boiled eggs square,to stop them rolling off the plate.

69books - Books. - Page 4 Empty Re: Books. Tue Jan 10 2017, 19:37

boltonbonce wrote:I shouldn't laugh. I once bought a gadget that made my boiled eggs square,to stop them rolling off the plate.
My mum bought me an electric egg boiler.  Even i can boil a frigging egg

70books - Books. - Page 4 Empty Re: Books. Tue Jan 10 2017, 19:44

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

71books - Books. - Page 4 Empty Re: Books. Tue Jan 10 2017, 22:00

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bread2.0 wrote:Cheers, matey.

I've actually just found it for £7.54 so I've bought a copy.

If it's shit........

While we're on books, have you read any Mick Herron?

Like Le Carre but without the boring endings that leave you scratching your head and feeling flat.
A name new to me.
Is he translated into Spanish?

72books - Books. - Page 4 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 11 2017, 08:46

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

just reading Peter Hooks new book about his time in New Order, he comes across very bitter and resentful towards the rest of the band especially Bernard Sumner but i've read Bernards autobiography so it's good to hear both sides of the argument.

Also just finished Alan Mcgee's autobiography, he was the boss of Creation records and they had the likes of Primal Scream. My Bloody Valentine and Oasis on the label, an entertaining read full of debauchery if you like that kind of thing  Very Happy

73books - Books. - Page 4 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 11 2017, 09:50

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Norpig wrote:just reading Peter Hooks new book about his time in New Order, he comes across very bitter and resentful towards the rest of the band especially Bernard Sumner but i've read Bernards autobiography so it's good to hear both sides of the argument.

I enjoyed it. More detailed than I expected and gave a whole new insight into how fucked up Caroline Aherne was. I am going to read Hook's account of the Hacienda next - it should be entertaining.

74books - Books. - Page 4 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 11 2017, 09:59

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

not got to that but yet but i remember the fuss in the press when he said he was a battered husband just after she died.

I've read the Hacienda one and the Joy Division book as well, both good reads and the Hacienda one is an eye opener, they didn't have a clue how to run a business.

If you like that kind of thing a book called the Shadowplayers is well worth a read, it's a very in-depth account of factory records from start to bitter end

75books - Books. - Page 4 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 11 2017, 10:04

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Norpig wrote:

If you like that kind of thing a book called the Shadowplayers is well worth a read, it's a very in-depth account of factory records from start to bitter end

Thanks, it's on my to read list.

Tony Wilson was an interesting guy. I loved Steve Coogan's portrayal of him in 24 Hour Party People.

76books - Books. - Page 4 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 11 2017, 10:08

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

It was interesting reading the Hacienda one to look back at the gigs I went to over the years, thanks to the handy list of who played there, when.

Spear of Destiny: December 1986 - I remember it like it was yesterday, even though it was 31 years ago.

Five of us went, crammed into my mate's Yugo Zastava and because he copped off with a girl from Radcliffe and said she could have a lift home, we drew straws for which one of us was going to give up his seat and I lost.

16 years old, green as grass, wombling round Piccadilly at midnight on a Wednesday trying to find a bus back to Bolton.

Absolutely clueless and it's a miracle I made it home......

77books - Books. - Page 4 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 11 2017, 16:53

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wilson was a cock but was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. He knew people I knew and used to hang about in Didsbury in the house that Sad Cafe inhabited. Had the pleasure of pouring a stale pint over him when they bought Moss Side West Indian Community Centre to open the Factory (PSV) I knew it was the end of our gut-wrenching bass, lady mud wrestler and rum and dominoes nights so I guess it was a protest spillage especially after what happened to Renos and the Nile. As it turned out, I kept going and had some cracking nights but never spoke to Wilson again, even though I saw him regularly. 

As regards books, I had to give away over 1000 to the charity shop this week as there is nowhere to put them in our new downsized house. Gutting but pragmatic.

78books - Books. - Page 4 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 11 2017, 18:03

Lard Lad

Lard Lad
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Just been reading this old mystery book I found in an old mansion in the country the old girl owner has pegged it and I was looking for hidden stuff when I found a trunk full of old books about a hundred give or take mainly by an author called James Hadley Chase, I already got thru three as they are very addictive and it's fucking boring here so I'm reading at night a lot and the afternoon. This one I'm reading at present is titled Twelve Chinks and a Woman, It's good, next up is There's a Hippy on the Highway, great.

79books - Books. - Page 4 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 11 2017, 18:24

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:Wilson was a cock but was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. He knew people I knew and used to hang about in Didsbury in the house that Sad Cafe inhabited. Had the pleasure of pouring a stale pint over him when they bought Moss Side West Indian Community Centre to open the Factory (PSV) I knew it was the end of our gut-wrenching bass, lady mud wrestler and rum and dominoes nights so I guess it was a protest spillage especially after what happened to Renos and the Nile. As it turned out, I kept going and had some cracking nights but never spoke to Wilson again, even though I saw him regularly. 

As regards books, I had to give away over 1000 to the charity shop this week as there is nowhere to put them in our new downsized house. Gutting but pragmatic.
didn't he live in Bolton for a while? I seem to remember he was living in Barrow Bridge or did i dream it?

80books - Books. - Page 4 Empty Re: Books. Wed Jan 11 2017, 18:39

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He moved to Barrow Bridge,but I'm not sure of the year. He'd been living in a converted chip shop in Lymm.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum