Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Help Needed - possibly HSE person or person in the know

+5
wanderlust
Natasha Whittam
Soul Kitchen
Sluffy
Reebok_Rebel
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

For my job i have to travel to and from different sites across the UK.

Does my working day start when i set off in the morning and get home at night?  How does it work?  Having a bit of trouble and looking for some clarification if anyone can help.

Nat, you being a big business owner, can you help?

Thanks

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Depends on many factors. 

Are you salaried? 
Company car? 
Car used for business and personal? 
Do you work from an office at all? 
Do you work set hours? 
Do you attend this office on a regular basis? 
Do you claim back mileage? 

Its complicated, id consult your COE first...

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

A 'normal' worker who works 9-5 in a office and does not travel, work starts when they get to the office at 9 - travel is not included. 

If you work non regulated hours, and spend whole days/weeks 'off-site' then its dependant on your companies interpretation of 'working hours' 

In a nutshell, under UK employment law - its when you 'start work', so if you can convince your employer that traveling to work is actually 'working' (taking calls on a hands free kit can be a brilliant way to say you are working) than you could win that way.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

What does your contract say?

How are people doing the same job in your company paid?

What is considered normal practice in your industry?

(You really need HR advice rather than HSE)

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:For my job i have to travel to and from different sites across the UK.

Isn't there a pizza delivery handbook?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Are you home or office based according to your contract Y2J?

Thanks for all the responses (minus Natasha)

I'm the only one who does my role for this company so there is no one i can compare it to.

It says i should work out of the manchester office but from time to time travel to customer sites in my contract.  to be honest though 90% of the time i am travelling to company sites all across the UK.

It says my contracted hours are 37.5 hours a week but i may be required to work additional hours to meet the companies needs and this maybe in excess of 48 hours from time to time.

i'm really struggling because i think the contract is very vague and it's not the easiest to explain what i do.

I really wish i was a pizza delivery boy

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I suggest something like this -

Your contract says you mainly work out of your office - therefore how long does it take you to get from your home to your office?

Lets say for arguement sake that is an hour.

If you therefore travel from home to a customer - deduct an hour and claim the rest as work time - similarly deduct a hour when returning to home and not the office.

If however you stay from home overnight, your work starts from the time you leave your hotel (as you are away from your contracted place of work) and traveling to/from a work meeting - in other words you are doing this soley for work and not personal pleasure.

I think this is fair and reasonable but if you want proper advice the phone up ACAS for free on 0808 256 2789.

http://www.employersdirect-uk.org/free-advice?PPC=67354664769-acas%20helpline-14515062283089461378-e-g&gclid=CNud-afr5sMCFayWtAoddAwA3Q

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If your question re working day relates to hours paid i.e. an hourly rate then Sluffy is correct. If you are indirectly trying to ask about mileage claimed and your place of work is the Manchester office, deduct you usual journey to office miles if you are setting off from home to a site as this would be a cost you would incur anyway.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
y2johnny wrote:For my job i have to travel to and from different sites across the UK.

Laughing

Cheers Sluffy and Lusty

It is purely hours rather than mileage, i claim fuel back even though i have a company car.  i live round the corner from work so takes me ten minutes to get in and ten minutes home.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

There is a fixed amount of hours you can be asked to work under EC law after which you have to sign a disclaimer saying you're not arsed basically. Not too sure what it is but 45 hours seems to be in my head. If you are not happy about the hours do a bit of rooting and take it from there.
Good luck.

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Very impressive Nat :  )

Soul Kitchen wrote:There is a fixed amount of hours you can be asked to work under EC law after which you have to sign a disclaimer saying you're not arsed basically. Not too sure what it is but 45 hours seems to be in my head. If you are not happy about the hours do a bit of rooting and take it from there.
Good luck.

Cheers sk

Its 48 hours but averaged out over a 17 week period.

Job hunting time i think. Shame because i like the job. Just all the office politics that goes with it is doing my nut in

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Office politics occur everywhere. Because I work for myself this doesn't matter a jot, however I see it day in and day out and it does cause great amusement!Smile

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Michael Bolton wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

Very impressive Nat :  )

You are easily impressed MB, you need to get out more!Smile

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:
Job hunting time i think. Shame because i like the job.  

Ring this number 01204 364446.

scottjames30 wrote:
y2johnny wrote:
Job hunting time i think. Shame because i like the job.  

Ring this number 01204 364446.

I don't think i could work with you scott. Thanks anyway.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum