Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Books that are shit!

+13
Reebok Trotter
Norpig
Banks of the Croal
scottjames30
Natasha Whittam
BoltonTillIDie
Sluffy
Jake McHale
xmiles
Hipster_Nebula
boltonbonce
karlypants
Bolton Nuts
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21books - Books that are shit! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books that are shit! Sat Feb 28 2015, 19:50

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Banks of the Croal wrote:Going against the Grain a bit here but I've never read a book.

Tried and gave up a few times in the past, am I the only non book reader on here?
What made you give up Banksy.
Surely there's something out there to interest you.
If it came to a choice between TV and reading,my TV would have to go.
My brother is 5 years younger than me,and I think he's only ever read 10 books.
Says he can't be bothered, 'If it's any good it'll come out on DVD'. Shocked

22books - Books that are shit! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books that are shit! Sat Feb 28 2015, 20:09

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:
Banks of the Croal wrote:Going against the Grain a bit here but I've never read a book.

Tried and gave up a few times in the past, am I the only non book reader on here?
Dont know, nothing as really kept my attention long enough to keep me seated or to read anything longer than a News Article or a post on here.

Music is my love Shocked

23books - Books that are shit! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books that are shit! Sat Feb 28 2015, 20:19

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Banks of the Croal wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:

Dont know, nothing as really kept my attention long enough to keep me seated or to read anything longer than a News Article or a post on here.

Music is my love Shocked

I love music too but I think you are missing out by not reading any books. Have you tried reading books about the musicians you like or their biographies?

24books - Books that are shit! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books that are shit! Sat Feb 28 2015, 20:33

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

xmiles wrote:
Banks of the Croal wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:

Music is my love Shocked

I love music too but I think you are missing out by not reading any books. Have you tried reading books about the musicians you like or their biographies?
I appreciate what you're saying but its just the way i am.

25books - Books that are shit! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books that are shit! Sat Feb 28 2015, 21:08

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't really read books either to be honest Banks.

I can't remember the last time I bought a magazine either to be honest! Smile

26books - Books that are shit! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books that are shit! Sat Feb 28 2015, 21:21

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:

Do you buy a programme KP?

27books - Books that are shit! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books that are shit! Sat Feb 28 2015, 21:25

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
karlypants wrote:

Do you buy a programme KP?

No although I used to buy them every time I went.

28books - Books that are shit! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books that are shit! Sat Feb 28 2015, 21:27

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Waste of money really. I only buy them out of habit.

29books - Books that are shit! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books that are shit! Sat Feb 28 2015, 21:37

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Waste of money really. I only buy them out of habit.

I only really bought them again (apart from when I was a kid) when I started to take the Mrs to the Reebok as a whole experience sort of thing, that and so she could perve on the middle pages where the poster was, she seemed to like Kevin Davies' legs! Shocked

30books - Books that are shit! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books that are shit! Sun Mar 01 2015, 15:57

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i gave up on Bonfire of the Vanities, it supposed to be amazing but it bored me senseless. I mostly read music related books these days.

31books - Books that are shit! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books that are shit! Sun Mar 01 2015, 19:59

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Football Tactics and Strategies - Owen Coyle.

All it had was blank pages.

Laughing

32books - Books that are shit! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books that are shit! Sun Mar 01 2015, 22:00

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Breadman wrote:
Sluffy wrote:Ulysses by James Joyce.

Dire.

Agreed.

Unintelligible bollocks.

Makes Shakespeare (who I also hate because it's difficult to understand for anybody born after about 1545) look like Closer magazine in comparison.

There's a lot of snobbery lingering about "proper literature" in my view.

Although I did enjoy Dubliners.
This is really going to sound arty-farty, pretentious bollocks but most truly great works of art have a depth about them which allows and rewards close study (if you can be bothered!), because of the enduring significance of the ideas, and the originality or sharpness of observation and how those ideas are expressed. 

Universal, psychological truths about humanity revealed in new, unique ways are perhaps the most likely to satisfy effort and exploration.

So, Michael Rosen, Jackie Collins, Alvin Stardust, Mama Mia, or my paintings = harmless entertainment or fun for a few moments, saying nothing lasting or worthwhile, =pap.

Shakespeare, Steinbeck, Joni Mitchell, Babel,  Hogarth can be returned to endlessly because there is always something new and significant to appreciate in their layers of meaning and expression =enduring works of art.

I await multiple accusations of being a pretentious twat! Crying or Very sad

33books - Books that are shit! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books that are shit! Sun Mar 01 2015, 22:53

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Fair point okocha and no you are not a pretentious twat.

34books - Books that are shit! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books that are shit! Mon Mar 02 2015, 10:22

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

okocha wrote:
Breadman wrote:
Sluffy wrote:Ulysses by James Joyce.

Dire.

Agreed.

Unintelligible bollocks.

Makes Shakespeare (who I also hate because it's difficult to understand for anybody born after about 1545) look like Closer magazine in comparison.

There's a lot of snobbery lingering about "proper literature" in my view.

Although I did enjoy Dubliners.
This is really going to sound arty-farty, pretentious bollocks but most truly great works of art have a depth about them which allows and rewards close study (if you can be bothered!), because of the enduring significance of the ideas, and the originality or sharpness of observation and how those ideas are expressed. 

Universal, psychological truths about humanity revealed in new, unique ways are perhaps the most likely to satisfy effort and exploration.

So, Michael Rosen, Jackie Collins, Alvin Stardust, Mama Mia, or my paintings = harmless entertainment or fun for a few moments, saying nothing lasting or worthwhile, =pap.

Shakespeare, Steinbeck, Joni Mitchell, Babel,  Hogarth can be returned to endlessly because there is always something new and significant to appreciate in their layers of meaning and expression =enduring works of art.

I await multiple accusations of being a pretentious twat! Crying or Very sad
Pretentious twat!

35books - Books that are shit! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books that are shit! Mon Mar 02 2015, 11:28

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've read loads that are disappointing but rarely read shit books as I tend to go on personal recommendations. Most recently was "Cutting for Stone" which TBF was a good book, but it was unsettling with far too many gruesome accounts of surgery.
A bigger problem for me is when I read a great book and they make a shit film about it - which is a travesty IMO.
I would always recommend reading John Fowles Magus (first 100 pages are hard work TBF) and for a light read Ray Bradbury's Illustrated Man but both films were a crime against the books, despite the all star casts and there are many more examples out there.

36books - Books that are shit! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books that are shit! Mon Mar 02 2015, 12:09

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Stephen King. Most of his books are utter tripe,but quite a few of them have been made into decent films.

37books - Books that are shit! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books that are shit! Mon Mar 02 2015, 14:47

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Once you have read a good book it's very rare, if ever, that the film lives up to the book. Tom Cruise is not Jack Reacher.

38books - Books that are shit! - Page 2 Empty Re: Books that are shit! Mon Mar 02 2015, 17:49

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I have to agree on Gone Girl. I read it to the bitter end. The movie is worse.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum