Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Bolton Wanderers Banter » Are armchair fans opinions of the match valid?

Are armchair fans opinions of the match valid?

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
A bit of a perennial question really - it as cropped up for years - and I guess as the match day experience is getting more and more expensive and more and as more fans start to move away from the Bolton area, game attendance gets less and less (just above 14,000 for the weekend match).

So many ex or occassional attendees catch the games these days on Bolton Nuts or the few televised matches we some times feature on.

The question is, can you really judge a match without actually being there?

Obviously any opinion is valid - it is only an opinion anyway - it isn't a statement of fact - and just because some people go to the match doesn't necessarily mean they actual 'see' what is in front of their eyes - then how 'valid' are peoples comments - whether they attended or not?

I've been to loads of games over the years but age and distance from 'home' games (and the probably lack of desire to put myself out like I used to do as a younger man) means that I am far more 'armchair' than an 'actual' fan these days.

My own view is that it takes TWO elementss to have a meaningful opinion - being at the match - and actually 'understanding' and having a feel for the game of football.

Of couse TV replays and expert analysis is not there for people at the match - so 1-0 for the armchair fans (not intended as a derogatory remark from me btw) - but on the other hand the attending fan is not limited and restricted to just what the camera sees on your screen - they see the bigger picture, the running off the ball, the depth of play, the feel for what is happening and why - so 1-1 as a final result maybe?

I love to read opinions of people who've been to a game BUT it is quite clear that a number of those opininated souls (and I'm not talking about posters on this site) spoute absolute bollocks - whilst at the same time believing what they are saying.

It's laughable how they tell us what managers are thinking and why players are failing.

It's blindingly clear to anyone who as played the game of football, even at the lowest of low levels, that these people simply have no clue what they are talking about.

Contrary there are some posters who clearly know their football and even without attending a game can be knowledgeable and insightful of the match from just the few clips of the game they may have seen elsewhere.

I guess I've reasoned my way into some sort of a stalemate but given a choice I would rather be at a match and make my own mind of how the game went - and failing that would rather have some who understands football (No I'm not Phil Gartside) and tell me their views - even if they only followed the game on Radio Nuts - than some 'knows everything' (who actually knows nothing) who went.

What do you think?

Guest


Guest
Of course armchair opinions are valid but from a personal point of view I have less to say on matches I haven't seen myself, I think it's difficult to form an opinion on individual players and the general flow of a match off the radio.

Having said that there are some posters on here who seemingly go to most games, yet I can't take anything of value from their match reports and there are those who don't go to games who's opinions i find insightful. I think it's down to each individual poster rather than a general rule to be honest.

Personally I can't afford to trek around the country going to games all the time, I get to matches when I can and that's my personal preference. That's never bothered me in the slightest and I've never felt any less knowledgeable about football because of it. Some go to every single game and concentrate on abusing people or getting pissed, do they automatically know more than an 'armchair fan'? No.

Keegan

Keegan
Moderator
Moderator
If the armchair fan providing the opinion is one who is as knowledgeable as I am, for instance, their views should be appreciated and taken as a statement of fact.
:face2:

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Yes all opinions are valid.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Armchair fans have no valid opinion.

Wanderlust commenting on BWFC is no different than me going on a Norwich forum and telling them they're all wrong and talking bollocks.

Keegan

Keegan
Moderator
Moderator
You are wrong and talking bollocks.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I was an armchair fan this weekend, and i didn't have a clue what was going on, I was waiting for some action and it was H.T. And i still thought the game was being played.

Lennon walked, Heskey was on the wing, Clough was on his way to Real Madrid for 40 million, and the only action was KP and Magoo at it behind bargain booze bins.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
What's the difference between an armchair fan and pretending to not be one. 

Not a lot I don't suspect.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Everyone is entitled to their opinion whether they go to matches or not. Radio, TV and newspapers provide insight into every match so armchair fans can be just as knowledgeable as others who attended a match.

Personally, it doesn't bother me whether folk go to games or not.

Guest


Guest
This one used to piss me off but nowadays I just laugh at people who try and make this argument.

You only get this with football, don't you?

"I'm better than you and obviously know more because I bend over every week and take one up the pumper to the tune of £40 because I'm a proper fan and you're not because you don't pay to go and watch the team, etc...."

You don't get this with film reviews do you?

I've just trawled through Rotten Tomatoes and can't find a single comment responding to any of the reviews of Jurassic Park along the lines of:

"Shut up! What do you know about dinosaurs? I bet you've never even seen a real dinosaur in the flesh, have you? I have because I'm a proper dinosaur fan!"



Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Some of you need to read the title of the thread again. This isn't about who is a better fan, it's simply about armchair fans thinking their views on the game are justified when they weren't even there.

Wanderlust called us "lucky" at the weekend despite the fact he was at the other side of the country at the time. How would he know we were lucky? It was an even game that could have gone either way. Both managers said so.

If I rang you up right now and said I don't like that shirt you're wearing despite the fact I'd never met you, you'd think I was mad. It's exactly the same when people comment on a game they haven't seen.

Guest


Guest
@Natasha Whittam wrote:

If I rang you up right now and said I don't like that shirt you're wearing despite the fact I'd never met you, you'd think I was mad. It's exactly the same when people comment on a game they haven't seen.

Unless of course, you had been extensively viewing my shirt via a live internet stream on a website like this one, had seen a highlights package on YouTube entitled "Breadman's Shirt - The best bits in full HD!", had read a full account of how my shirt looks in any of the nation's newspapers and had spoken to friends / acquaintances who had paid to come and watch my shirt in person.

In that case, I'd consider your opinion perfectly valid.

But then I'd still tell you to go and get fucked because my shirt rocks.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Witty riposte.

But I'm still right. You can't form a legitimate opinion without being at a game.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:You are wrong and talking bollocks.
So...would you consider your opinion valid? As you say many times, you don't go to games anymore. 

I don't see how we have any armchair fans anyway, we are virtually never on TV and a stream for one is like rocking horse shit these days.

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
All Fans are students of the game and their own opinions are valid whether armchair or not.!!!!!!

Keegan

Keegan
Moderator
Moderator
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:You are wrong and talking bollocks.
So...would you consider your opinion valid? As you say many times, you don't go to games anymore. 

I don't see how we have any armchair fans anyway, we are virtually never on TV and a stream for one is like rocking horse shit these days.

Are you sure you meant to quote me, Rebel? I've never been to Britain and it is on my bucket list to see the team play live, in a home match. I couldn't have made the quote attributed to me, you see.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
when you do finally make it Keegan, come at the start of the season, i'm going tonight and it is going to be freezing Very Happy

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:You are wrong and talking bollocks.
So...would you consider your opinion valid? As you say many times, you don't go to games anymore. 

I don't see how we have any armchair fans anyway, we are virtually never on TV and a stream for one is like rocking horse shit these days.

Are you sure you meant to quote me, Rebel? I've never been to Britain and it is on my bucket list to see the team play live, in a home match. I couldn't have made the quote attributed to me, you see.
Sorry... 

That was targeted at Nat  :soz:

Guest


Guest
I'm not going - too cold and I can't be arsed.

We're going to play shit and lose.

I've already decided.......... :bomb:

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I'll be there, as usual.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Breadman wrote:I'm not going - too cold and I can't be arsed.

We're going to play shit and lose.

I've already decided.......... :bomb:
shit fan... 

:whistle:

Guest


Guest
I can't be arsed leaning forward in my armchair and typing a reply to that comment....

#toomuchtrouble

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I gave up away games because I have to pay to get in. While I can still blag free entry to the Macron I'll keep going.

However, I'm still looking forward to wanderlust's in depth report all the way from Norfolk.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
I would have had more respect for you nat if you had a valid excuse like 'cant afford it' or 'my vagina has been burned and im going to be bedridden for 9 months' instead of basically saying 'il only go if its free' 

Shit fan.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Breadman wrote:I'm not going - too cold and I can't be arsed.

Bread is clearly not the 'Captain Oates' of Walkden. Very Happy

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
My abs come before football now a days, up too early training in the morning.

Gave my ticket away.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I would have had more respect for you nat if you had a valid excuse like 'cant afford it' or 'my vagina has been burned and im going to be bedridden for 9 months' instead of basically saying 'il only go if its free' 

Shit fan.

You'd rather pay?

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
I pay to watch my club. yes.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:My abs come before football now a days, up too early training in the morning.

Gave my ticket away.
We kick off at 8pm

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:I pay to watch my club. yes.

The question was "would you prefer to pay?"

If someone offered you a free ticket in their box would you accept?

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum