Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brave Bolton Wanderers star Gary Parkinson with locked-in syndrome

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A FORMER Whites star who has been fighting back since suffering a huge stroke has thanked his supporters and paid tribute to his family in a special seasonal message.

Father-of-three Gary Parkinson, aged 47, is still battling 'locked-in syndrome' but took time to draft a lengthy bulletin following what has been an eventful year.

Gary, of Westhoughton, who communicates using eye movements, said: "As many of you will know, it's now slightly over five years since I fell ill with a stroke and as a result locked-in syndrome. It has been the biggest challenge of my life, and one that continues to bring its own ups and downs each day.

"I'm not going to lie, it's been very difficult for both me and my family. Since coming home in 2012, we have had to adapt to carers constantly being in our house, something that has proven to be a lot harder than we expected, and a fact that has brought its own set of problems.

"The down days are difficult to overcome, but thanks to my family and close friends, plus your fantastic support, I am continuing to battle on and work as hard as ever to get myself out of this wheel chair and back talking again.

"The progress has been slow, but there has been improvements with my mouth, which has now regained a much better opening than when my jaw had locked much tighter."

Gary has confirmed that he still requires a tracheostomy to assist with his breathing — but he can cap this off and practice breathing through his nose and mouth regularly.

The right-back, who also played for Middlesbrough, Burnley and Preston and was youth head at Blackpool before he fell ill, still keeps up with the fortunes of his old clubs.

He also hopes to make a trip to the North East to see Middlesbrough play Sheffield Wednesday.

Gary added: "Burnley are also doing well at the top end of the Championship, while Preston are showing some fight with my good mates Simon Grayson and former Wanderers midfielder Steve Thompson in charge."

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/bolton/14165408.Brave_Wanderers_star_with_locked_in_syndrome_thanks_family_for_support

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Good luck Gary, nothing more I can say than that.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Makes you realise that you don't really have any problems worth worrying about when you hear how unfortunate some others are.

Hope someday, somehow, things get better for him and others whose life's are truly shit.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum