Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should we really sell Clough?

+10
doffcocker
wanderlust
luckyPeterpiper
FullofSprite
Boggersbelief
Natasha Whittam
scottjames30
Hipster_Nebula
BoltonTillIDie
Norpig
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Should we really sell Clough? Empty Should we really sell Clough? Sun 10 Jan - 10:53

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It looks like we may lose the one player who actually looks like scoring for us this season.
I know in our position £3million would be very useful and pay off the tax debt but should we really be letting him go? It's a sideways move at best for him if he does go to Bristol City.

I would be happier selling other players before Clough, such as Mavies. Moxey and Wheater as they won't stay next season because of their wages so it's best to move them on now.

Surely there must be a way of keeping hold of our best young player for now? I also hope that with him being a local lad and only young he may turn down a move so far away from his family but i could be clutching at straws

So do we really need to sell him or is there another way?

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We have to sell him.  We are not going to get anywhere near that with any of our other players.  And we need money.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Don't worry the Korean bank has put in the money 48 hours ago which needs to be accepted 24 hours ago or it falls through. We're saved.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Don't worry the Korean bank has put in the money 48 hours ago which needs to be accepted 24 hours ago or it falls through. We're saved.

It's Chung Yong Lee's dad apparently.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We should drive him to Bristol today. £3m is great money for an unproven, injury prone player with a physique a skeleton would consider skinny.

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Don't worry the Korean bank has put in the money 48 hours ago which needs to be accepted 24 hours ago or it falls through. We're saved.
The cheques in the post.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Barb Dwyer wrote:
The cheques in the post.

I hope it's Matej Vydra.

I heard yesterday that Reading want Darren Pratley.

10Should we really sell Clough? Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun 10 Jan - 11:41

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Barb Dwyer wrote:I heard yesterday that Reading want Darren Pratley.

I hope they take him, the shitbag.

He put more effort and passion into retrieving that ball from the back of the net yesterday than he's put in during his whole BWFC career.

11Should we really sell Clough? Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun 10 Jan - 11:45

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:We should drive him to Bristol today. £3m is great money for an unproven, injury prone player with a physique a skeleton would consider skinny.

Does anyone qualify as a good footballer in your eyes?

12Should we really sell Clough? Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun 10 Jan - 11:47

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:

Have you watched us recently?

13Should we really sell Clough? Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun 10 Jan - 12:01

FullofSprite

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:

Have you watched us recently?
Natasha talking sense again - it will get you into trouble love Smile

14Should we really sell Clough? Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun 10 Jan - 12:04

I agree with Whittam on this.

I've got a feeling that Clough's going to turn out to be another Mark Davies.

Plenty of potential but will miss far too many games through injury.

Shoulder injuries never really go away and he's always going to be prone to reoccurring problems in my view.

£3m is fantastic business for us.

Just a shame we won't see any of it ploughed back into the team for obvious reasons.

15Should we really sell Clough? Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun 10 Jan - 12:55

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Should we sell? No.

Will we? Almost certainly. 

This discussion is interesting but the truth is we're out of options. If anyone makes a serious bid for any of our players then we have no choice, we have to take the money. About the only thing that can or will prevent Clough's departure is if the man himself refuses to move or he fails a medical at his proposed new club. BWFC can't afford to turn down a bid that's even close to market value given our position.

16Should we really sell Clough? Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun 10 Jan - 13:00

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i just get the feeling he won't want to go to Bristol and would rather wait for something more enticing. We can't force him to move can we? The club can make it known they want him to go but these days the players have more power

17Should we really sell Clough? Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun 10 Jan - 13:50

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Can't believe the question is even being asked. Right up there with "should we buy Ronaldo?"

18Should we really sell Clough? Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun 10 Jan - 13:58

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lusty you do come across as being very condescending sometimes, a simple yes or no with maybe a little explanation would be fine  Rolling Eyes

19Should we really sell Clough? Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun 10 Jan - 14:09

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Lusty you do come across as being very condescending sometimes

Only sometimes?

20Should we really sell Clough? Empty Re: Should we really sell Clough? Sun 10 Jan - 14:29

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Lusty you do come across as being very condescending sometimes, a simple yes or no with maybe a little explanation would be fine  Rolling Eyes

Sorry amigo. I think the reasons are self-evident. The chances of a takeover are receding fast otherwise money would have been found from elsewhere to settle the immediate bills rather than dispose of more assets especially on the playing front. However it's apparent from Clough's alleged reaction to Bristol City's interest that he believes his own hype in which case he'd be pushing for a salary we can't afford anyway.
So if he thinks he's too good for us/this division despite having been nurtured by the club since he was a kid - and we couldn't afford to pay him what he thinks he's worth anyway - and Bristol are willing to risk £3million (I bet it's not that much up front) we should take the money immediately.
I know it hurts having to get rid of players but that's the position we're in ATM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum