Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Phillips: Let's get smiles back on faces at Wanderers

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Jimmy Phillips stepped up to the plate again yesterday vowing to restore some pride in Bolton Wanderers.

Following the departure of Neil Lennon in midweek the academy boss has been tasked with preparing the ground for next season.

And the indications are he will make sweeping changes over the course of the next nine games, which start with a trip to Bristol City tomorrow.

Jay Spearing trained with the Whites at the Macron yesterday but Phillips confirmed he will not be considered for selection for the rest of the season and has been made available for loan.

Liam Feeney also completed a move to Ipswich Town yesterday – and The Bolton News understands Wanderers will listen to offers for any of their higher earners if they want to be fixed up with a club before the summer rush.

Major cost restructuring is expected by the club’s new owners but if League One football beckons, Phillips intends to go down fighting.

“I want to start putting some points on the board and getting players going again,” he told The Bolton News.

“What the situation is at the end of the season I don’t know, we’ll find that out as and when.

“Certainly we need to get some pride back in this club. It’s been a long, hard season for everyone connected with the club, the staff and in particular the supporters.

“I have been here 28 years and this is the most turmoil I have ever known.

“I have seen fantastic times at this club, the Premier League and Europe, and I also remember playing in the old Third Division and times where we’ve been on our knees before.

“I hope we don’t go back to those levels, John McGovern running marathons to raise transfer funds and pick all his players from the non-league.

“But the main thing we can do this season is look to the future and give one or two of the youngsters a chance when they have earned it.”

Phillips brought the first team to train at the stadium yesterday – and that could be the case until the end of the season.

Euxton will become the property of Wigan Athletic by Easter Monday and operations will gradually be phased to the training base at Lostock over the summer.

Lennon’s first-team coach Garry Parker and assistant manager Steve Walford have remained in situ for the time being, with Nicky Spooner also stepping up to assist yesterday.

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum