Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Holding's future top of the agenda for new Wanderers boss Parkinson

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Rob Holding will meet with Phil Parkinson next week to see if his move to Arsenal will get the new manager’s blessing.

The home-grown defender has been away on holiday but will return to speak with the incoming boss about Premier League interest from the Emirates which has lingered since the end of last season.

At present only one bid has been made, and rejected, although many sources in North London claim the Gunners’ interest is still very strong.

Parkinson is in no hurry to lose one of the club’s brightest prospects but plans to reinvest any money which comes his way for the England Under-21 star.

“If money comes in, it will be used to make the squad stronger – simple as that,” he said.

“Any manager will want to keep his best players but if there’s a scenario where a player wants to go then with that money we can invest in two or three really good players, obviously we would look at it.

“But Holding is not a player whose value is going to depreciate. It will only get better as we go along.

“You can only let players go if you have ones ready to come in and I have not come to this club to not have a good squad.

“One way to alleviate pressure as a manager is to get good players on the pitch.”

Wanderers will certainly be listening to offers for some of their biggest earners, such as Mark Davies, Darren Pratley and Liam Trotter.

Parkinson used the last few days to bring himself right up to speed on the squad during a short holiday which was cut short to meet the media yesterday.

But he does not envisage a heavy-handed approach in the transfer market and will not be pre-judging players until he has worked with them in the next few weeks.

“It’s all about getting the balance of the squad right,” he said. “I think all the supporters can see that it’s top heavy in certain areas and needs work in others.

“I know all the squad, though none personally. I know what they have done in their career and in the days I have been away I have spent a lot of time looking at the players and what I feel would be needed if I got the opportunity to speak with Ken.

“It’s a challenge but there are good players here who we can get more out of. You fellas know from watching the team there are people here who have got more to give.”

Parkinson admits the task of turning around Wanderers’ fortunes after some barren years is considerable and yet he balked at suggestion he has made a sideways move from Bradford City.

“It’s a huge challenge because of the history of the club, going back many years but also in recent times as well,” he said. “But it is one I wanted. I felt it was time.

“The facilities, the stadium, the training ground – it’s all set up to move on and I’ll be giving it all to make sure that’s the case.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum