Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should you be allowed to swear at Refs?

+4
scottjames30
Norpig
boltonbonce
Sluffy
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Seems it is going to get you a red card from now if you do!

Plans designed to reduce "intolerable behaviour" by players and managers in English football have been announced.

In a statement, the Premier League, English Football League and Football Association said poor conduct has reached "unacceptable levels".

Starting this season, red cards will be issued to players who confront match officials and use offensive language or make gestures towards them.

Behaviour within the technical areas will also be more rigorously enforced.

Not one player has been sent off in the Premier League for insulting or abusive language towards a match official in the last five seasons.

But Premier League chairman Richard Scudamore said there has been concern "for some time" that players have been "overstepping the mark".

"It is our collective position that these types of behaviour should no longer be tolerated," he added.

"Things happen in the heat of the moment during fast and highly competitive football. We still want to see the passion fans enjoy and demand, but players and managers have to be aware there are lines that should not be crossed."

Offences which could earn players a yellow card
◾Visibly disrespectful behaviour to any match official;
◾An aggressive response to decisions;
◾Confronting an official face to face;
◾Running towards an official to contest a decision;
◾Offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures towards match officials;
◾Physical contact with any match official in a non-aggressive manner;
◾A yellow card for at least one player when two or more from a team surround a match official.

New red card offences
◾If a player confronts match officials and uses offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures towards them;
◾Physical contact with match officials in an aggressive or confrontational manner.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36844570

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This is how you do it. Take a tip from rugby.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

its about time they did something about the behaviour of players, it has gotten out of hand. It will be interesting to see how many games finish with 11 vs 11 for the first few weeks of the season

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The ref needs to know when he's made a bad decision, it's a bad idea and it'll fuck the game up .

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:its about time they did something about the behaviour of players, it has gotten out of hand.

You ponce. Arguing and abusing the ref is part of what makes football so attractive.

The people at the top are trying to take the passion out of football.

It's only a matter of time before tackles are outlawed.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's like a new world order in football, they want people under control, so they can manipulate and brainwash them, they want emotion and passion no longer in the game, soon they'll be microchipped into what they say in interviews, soon they'll be calling for you can't shout at each other, fans will get thrown out for chanting.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Don't try and tell me there's no passion in rugby.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:Don't try and tell me there's no passion in rugby.
I agree with you, Rugby players are twice the men footballers are and don't feel the need to behave like 5 year olds when they don't get their own way.
Also the thing that pisses me most about footballers and the refs is that many of them spend ninety minutes trying to cheat the ref into making wrong decisions by diving and rolling around like cunts and then squeal like stuck pigs when the ref does make a wrong decision.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

whatsgoingon wrote:
I agree with you, Rugby players are twice the men footballers are and don't feel the need to behave like 5 year olds when they don't get their own way.
Also the thing that pisses me most about footballers and the refs is that many of them spend ninety minutes trying to cheat the ref into making wrong decisions by diving and rolling around like cunts and then squeal like stuck pigs when the ref does make a wrong decision.
Couldn't agree more.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Rugby is a terrible game though.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

scottjames30 wrote:Rugby is a terrible game though.
that's subjective! what isn't subjective is that footballers are overpaid spoilt babies

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Norpig wrote:its about time they did something about the behaviour of players, it has gotten out of hand.

You ponce. Arguing and abusing the ref is part of what makes football so attractive.

The people at the top are trying to take the passion out of football.

It's only a matter of time before tackles are outlawed.
it sets the wrong example to kids, you go to any football pitch and watch a kids game and you will see them copying the behaviour of the so-called adults.

I'm all for passion in the game but it has to be channelled in the right way. All this crowding round the ref and putting hands on him is out of order

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:
it sets the wrong example to kids, you go to any football pitch and watch a kids game and you will see them copying the behaviour of the so-called adults.

I'm all for passion in the game but it has to be channelled in the right way. All this crowding round the ref and putting hands on him is out of order

Who gives a shit about the kids, it's the parents job to sort them out.

There is little passion in football as it is, this just sucks even more from it.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A decent ref can handle players, the FA don't need to keep poking their nose in all the time, they should be sorting out the England team and picking Southgate, because all there good at is making wrong decisions .

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

scottjames30 wrote:A decent ref can handle players, the FA don't need to keep poking their nose in all the time, they should be sorting out the England team and picking Southgate, because all there good at is making wrong decisions .
It's gone past that, refs now are completely tied up with  red tape and there is little if any room for common sense. They are worried about their reviews and dropping clangers.
Put a rule in where swearing and crowding the ref gets a red card and the players will soon stop because the managers will stop them.
You could also add diving and trying to cheat refs into the mix as well, if the manager starts losing players to suspensions they'll soon put a stop to it.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Erm...it says a yellow card for abusive language. It's a red for "confronting  a match official" which is something I totally agree with.

1. There's no point in arguing with the ref. I struggle to think of decisions that have been overturned by players hassling the ref. If there are any examples there will be a billion other decisions that have not been influenced by whingeing players.
If they want to play the game, they have to accept that the referees decision is final - regardless of whether they agree or not. Players who do not accept that the referees decision is final should be banned from playing - as they would effectively not be playing football but some other activity where the refs decision is not final.
2. Refs come under plenty of scrutiny and if they make a bad decision it will affect their rating and may affect the matches they are allowed to referee so it's in their interest to get it right. Therefore there's no need for players to appoint themselves as judges of the referee's performance as they are not qualified to judge.
3. Players complaining to the ref slows down the game and is therefore used as a tactic (depending on the state of play) and should be punished.
4. Why do they need to swear at the ref? Can't they make their views heard without swearing? And why not wait until the game is over instead of slowing the game down?

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I think that players know that the ref isn't going to change that decision but that by crowding him they can intimidate him for future decisions.
The reason they swear at refs is because they can and get away with it, many footballers have a mental age of about 10 because clubs have been doing everything including wiping their arses for them since they were about 8 in some cases. They have little sense of responsibility or discipline and that they can have a free ride both on and off the pitch.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

whatsgoingon wrote:

This. The sooner players are penalised with a 3 match ban for stimulation the better the game will be. There are far too many total ponces out there who are ruining the game with their blatant cheating. It's a blight on the modern game and it needs eradicating.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:Erm...it says a yellow card for abusive language. It's a red for "confronting  a match official" which is something I totally agree with.

1. There's no point in arguing with the ref. I struggle to think of decisions that have been overturned by players hassling the ref. If there are any examples there will be a billion other decisions that have not been influenced by whingeing players.
If they want to play the game, they have to accept that the referees decision is final - regardless of whether they agree or not. Players who do not accept that the referees decision is final should be banned from playing - as they would effectively not be playing football but some other activity where the refs decision is not final.
2. Refs come under plenty of scrutiny and if they make a bad decision it will affect their rating and may affect the matches they are allowed to referee so it's in their interest to get it right. Therefore there's no need for players to appoint themselves as judges of the referee's performance as they are not qualified to judge.
3. Players complaining to the ref slows down the game and is therefore used as a tactic (depending on the state of play) and should be punished.
4. Why do they need to swear at the ref? Can't they make their views heard without swearing? And why not wait until the game is over instead of slowing the game down?

This is clearly written by someone who hasn't played competitive sport for 50 years.

Long live the armchair.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum