Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OFFICIAL - Wheater rejoins Wanderers on one-year deal

+4
Natasha Whittam
terenceanne
wanderlust
karlypants
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Phil Parkinson has beefed up his backline, re-signing centre-back David Wheater on a one-year deal.

Wheater, one of the Whites' biggest earners last season, has rejoined on a far lesser wage than he took home last term.

Many fans will be delighted that the former Middlesbrough man has pledged to help right the wrongs of last season, and with family ties firmly in the North West Wheater admits he is happy to be back at the club he has called home since January 2011.

"I know I'm definitely not one of the biggest earners at the club any more," he told The Bolton News after putting his name to a year's contract.

"If I'm honest there was always a part of me that felt I might be able to come back. My little girl Olivia, who's two, has just started nursery here and my boy Arthur is just two weeks old so it's good for me.

"I knew that if I was going to then it would be on a reduced rate but for some reason there was never a point when I walked out of the club and thought I would never play for Bolton again.

"It was nice when the manager rang me up and asked if I could come back for pre-season.

"I knew he did a really good job at Bradford, taking them to a cup final – that's a great achievement.

"From what I've seen he is a really good coach as well as a manager, sometimes you get good managers who are not great coaches, but he definitely is and the lads have really bought into it too."

Like many of last season's squad Wheater is banishing the misery of last season and looking to what could – and perhaps should – be a successful campaign in new territory.

In 2009 he tasted relegation from the Premier League with Boro, but stayed to try to help the club bounce back. Now, a tier further down, he is again aiming for a quick turnaround.

"I remember Gareth Southgate saying it could be good for us in the long run, and I know what he meant," he said. "If we can get a good run of wins we can push on and build confidence around the club.

"We just need to get winning games early doors, get the confidence flowing again, play some nice football, especially at the Macron, and give the crowds something to cheer.

"When they're on your back it makes it difficult, sometimes we deserved the boos but when the fans are on your side it's a great feeling and it helps your game, it gives you that extra bit that can make the difference."

Source

Last edited by karlypants on Fri Aug 05 2016, 22:49; edited 1 time in total

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm glad he's back too, especially on a more reasonable wage. Should make good partnership with Beevers and even though they're not the quickest, should be solid at this level and could help Alex Finney come through.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Nat should be calling him a lightweight ponce any minute now .....stand by.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Amazing. Ignoring the fact he's slow as fuck and a bit shit, the guy has spent half his BWFC career out injured - and we give him a new contract!!

It's decisions like this that got us in this mess in the first place.

What next, re-sign Stuart Holden?

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:Amazing. Ignoring the fact he's slow as fuck and a bit shit, the guy has spent half his BWFC career out injured - and we give him a new contract!!

It's decisions like this that got us in this mess in the first place.

What next, re-sign Stuart Holden?
No but I did hear a little bird mentioning Gerald Cid and Mario Jardel. Wouldn't that just make your day? Wink

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Bolton Wanderers have re-signed David Wheater after the defender put pen to paper on a new one-year contract with the club.

The 29-year-old had previously not been retained following the expiration of his former deal earlier this summer, before being invited back in by manager Phil Parkinson during pre-season.

The former England youth international has made 118 appearances, including 29 last season, during his time with the Whites, having initially joined Bolton from Middlesbrough in January 2011.

And after impressing for the Trotters in pre-season, he now returns to the club on a permanent basis.

Wheater will retain the number 31 shirt as was worn by the defender during his previous stint at Macron Stadium.

Phil Parkinson said: "We're delighted to agree a deal to bring David back to the club.

"His attitude and application in training has been first class and he has shown a real desire to help get the club going again.

"David joins the squad on a performance-based contract and we're looking forward to working with him throughout the course of the season."

http://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/bolton-wanderers-david-wheater-sky-bet-league-one-2016-17-3223290.aspx#EZzpwj1yWjxlF2u8.99

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Performance based contracts. Definitely the way forward.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I was thinking that, if Mark Davies had been on one he'd have been selling big issue to supplement it

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

David Wheater on his return:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum