Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Danns hoping to be on song when Bury face Wanderers this season

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Neil Danns knows just what to expect when he lines up for Bury against Wanderers at Gigg Lane in October after playing a key role in Bolton's Capital One Cup victory over their closest neighbours when they last met two years ago.

The 33-year-old midfielder scored two goals in extra-time to help Wanderers seal a 3-2 win against the Shakers at the Macron – only the second meeting between the two clubs since they were last in the same division in the 1997/98 season.

But after being released in the summer, Danns has found a new home at Bury and while he admits it will be "weird" to line-up against his former paymasters, he is looking forward to experiencing the derby atmosphere once again.

“I’m well aware of the rivalry between the two sides given what happened the last time the two clubs met,” Danns said, after Craig Davies' stoppage-time leveller from the penalty spot denied Bury a famous victory before Danns put the knife in during extra time.

“I’m expecting it to be a fiery derby.

"On a personal level, for me it will probably be a bit weird having just come from Bolton, but I’m now at Bury and they are my focus.

“My priority is with Bury now so I’ll be looking to put one over on them, of course.”

Danns has made the majority of his 400-plus career appearances in the Championship and says he wants to return there with the Shakers this season.

“The main goal is to have a good season and obviously be pushing for promotion,” he said.

“Obviously, if you ask anyone in any team that’s always the main goal, to get as high in the league as possible, and I’m no different.

"To be honest, I don’t think the drop is as big as people think anymore.

“I think you have seen from the teams that get promoted from League One, they always seem to do well in the Championship when they come up.

“I don’t think it’s a massive drop, it’s just as competitive and I’m looking forward to the challenge.

“I think we’ve got a good enough set of boys here to be able to hold our own next season, so I’m excited to see what happens.”

The midfielder was one of eight new signings drafted in during pre-season, but he says knowing a couple of the players helped him make the transition into the squad.

He added: “I knew Antony Kay and Niall Maher (also a former Wanderer) so it’s been pretty easy to settle in.

“We are all learning each other’s game. It’s a test, but the lads seem to be gelling pretty quick.”

While Danns is hoping to start the new season on song, fellow new signing Zeli Ismail, snapped up by Bury on a free transfer from Wolves, revealed the former Wanderer has already kicked off on a positive note in the dressing room.

The 22-year-old Albanian winger said he and fellow new signing Nicky Clark opted out of a squad initiation – a spot of dressing room karaoke – after Danns blew the room away with a rendition of a Kings of Leon song.

He said: “No way did I sing. Me and Nicky Clark took the fine instead.

“To be fair, I was going to sing but the standard was unbelievable.

“After I heard Dannsy sing I thought ‘no chance, I’ll take the fine!’”

Source

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The twat scored today for Bury.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum