Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Social Media: Is it time we called it a day?

+2
Norpig
Bread2.0
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Seriously now, wtf is happening to the world?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38514759

The internet's done a lot of good but I'm starting to feel as though it's actually doing serious harm to the human race's long-term survival chances.

I'm not singling Facebook out here but......

....how often do you hear of people falling out with each other because of some perceived sleight of there?

And now we've started getting disturbing news like the story above.

In what world is it ok to kidnap some poor bastard and then live-stream the coverage of you abusing them?

It's bad enough that we already get idiots using their phones to film people in distress so that they can upload the footage to the web instead of actually helping them, we're now seeing dangerous shit like this.

It's very wrong, obviously, but the point I'm getting at is: Does the popularity of Facebook and other social media actually encourage this sort of behaviour?

I'm starting to think it does.

Is it time to throw a bag over the whole thing and admit it was a dangerous mistake?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i was reading that story a minute ago and despaired as well.

Social media and youtube have played a big part in these types of videos. The amount of bullying videos i've seen on facebook really upsets me as i detest any kind of bullying and i do worry about my 2 kids when they get older.

Trouble is we are now too far down the road with social media for it to disappear, if anything it will become bigger and more influential as technology keeps moving on and it will be even easier to stream or post on these sites.

What needs to happen is better monitoring and moderating of these sites, it's a big job i know and people will say it's a nanny state and you can't stop people from posting but something needs to change.
 The sites themselves also need to come out and be more proactive and say anything like this will be passed on to the Police for investigation and accounts or access blocked

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Can't argue with a word of that, mate.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I was on youtube a few nights ago,and came across a video of a young girl with a facial disfigurement.She was using the site to explain how she dealt with it.
How she applied makeup,or styled her hair. How it affected what she'd wear on a night out.
It was a very interesting and uplifting piece,until I scrolled down to the comments section,and I can assure you, my jaw dropped when I read some of the vile responses.
Who do I blame?
I wouldn't know where to start.

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Human decency and civilised behaviour have not kept pace with advancements in technology. Quite the opposite in fact. The really scary thing is that some decidedly foul, aggressive people are in charge of whole countries and their weaponry. How many people, especially leaders, are actually working to make the world a better place? Trump,for example, seems to be denying anything that would actually improve people's lives.

Lower down the scale, so many people seem to derive pleasure from cruel taunts and vile language or behaviour on social media, safely hiding anonymously behind a computer screen.

How stupid is it to film and show your crimes to the world? Drugs and drink are presumably a factor.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:Human decency and civilised behaviour have not kept pace with advancements in technology. Quite the opposite in fact. The really scary thing is that some decidedly foul, aggressive people are in charge of whole countries and their weaponry. How many people, especially leaders, are actually working to make the world a better place? Trump,for example, seems to be denying anything that would actually improve people's lives.

Lower down the scale, so many people seem to derive pleasure from cruel taunts and vile language or behaviour on social media, safely hiding anonymously behind a computer screen.

How stupid is it to film and show your crimes to the world? Drugs and drink are presumably a factor.

You're extremely pompous do you know that?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sickening how that Twitter twat Alfie Barker is trying to make himself a victim after receiving death threats.

"I'm only 18, I have ADHD, I mixed my medication with alcohol".

Just fuck off you arsehole.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:You're extremely pompous do you know that?

Boggers, the competition has ended.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum