Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Legalise it?

+4
xmiles
okocha
Norpig
wanderlust
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Legalise it? Empty Legalise it? Tue Jun 19 2018, 11:29

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Famous Tory pothead William Hague calls for legalisation of weed.

Love it or loathe it, cannabis is back in the headlines over the Billy Caldwell case, which is ironic inasmuch that the UK is the world's biggest exporter of cannabis products and North America is our biggest market, yet it's still illegal to use it here.

Add to that the fact that the multi billion pound recreational cannabis industry is controlled by criminals - who get all the profits and pay no taxes - there is surely a strong case for legalisation and the resultant control and tax income.

How long is the Government prepared to continue failing to control the industry and collect the much-needed tax income whilst simultaneously depriving ill people the medicine they need just to satisfy outmoded and ill-informed Victorian values?

IMO it should be legalised, controlled and taxed and the fact that it has health issues for a minority of people should be considered acceptable risk given that the potential downside is nowhere near as bad as alcohol.

2Legalise it? Empty Re: Legalise it? Tue Jun 19 2018, 11:40

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I agree Lusty but i would draw the line at some of the super strength skunk and other varieties that's around as they can cause real issues with mental health. Trouble is people will always want something stronger so that would still come from illegal sources.

3Legalise it? Empty Re: Legalise it? Tue Jun 19 2018, 12:48

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

wanderlust wrote:
IMO it should be legalised, controlled and taxed and the fact that it has health issues for a minority of people should be considered acceptable risk given that the potential downside is nowhere near as bad as alcohol.
Ah....you wouldn't say that if, as I have,  you had a relative who tried cannabis just once and is now schizophrenic as a result. The effect on him and his family is catastrophic. 

A friend of mine is a clinical psychologist who tells me that it is well known in his professional circles that psychosis is a very common and much under-estimated outcome of dabbling with cannabis.

4Legalise it? Empty Re: Legalise it? Tue Jun 19 2018, 13:37

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

okocha wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
Ah....you wouldn't say that if, as I have,  you had a relative who tried cannabis just once and is now schizophrenic as a result. The effect on him and his family is catastrophic. 

A friend of mine is a clinical psychologist who tells me that it is well known in his professional circles that psychosis is a very common and much under-estimated outcome of dabbling with cannabis.

okocha tragic as it is that your relative was affected in this way I don't think this undermines the points that WL makes in his original post. It is a simple fact that the "war on drugs" has been a expensive and total failure - similar in many ways to the American attempt at prohibition.

If cannabis is legalised it will be controlled in the same way as alcohol and the strength of it regulated. Some people become alcoholics but I don't think this justifies banning alcohol for everyone. Do you think it should be banned?

And as for the government taking away medicinal cannabis needed by some epilepsy sufferers when it is legal in many other countries, surely you agree that this is wrong.

5Legalise it? Empty Re: Legalise it? Tue Jun 19 2018, 14:16

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:
okocha wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

okocha tragic as it is that your relative was affected in this way I don't think this undermines the points that WL makes in his original post. It is a simple fact that the "war on drugs" has been a expensive and total failure - similar in many ways to the American attempt at prohibition.

If cannabis is legalised it will be controlled in the same way as alcohol and the strength of it regulated. Some people become alcoholics but I don't think this justifies banning alcohol for everyone. Do you think it should be banned?

And as for the government taking away medicinal cannabis needed by some epilepsy sufferers when it is legal in many other countries, surely you agree that this is wrong.
It is tragic Okocha and I have a son who has mental health problems that are likely to have been activated by weed, but there are massive differences in the chemical make up of people and so statistically some people will be damaged by taking on board almost any substance. 
The Government may be protective of the alcohol industry because of the income and the strength of the alcohol lobby but a clearer example of double standards is hard to come by, especially when every scientific report on the matter confirms that cannabis is substantially less damaging than alcohol.
This report concludes:
* 30k deaths directly from alcohol in the USA in one year v Zero deaths from weed. That figure excludes alcohol-related accidents and homicides.
* Marijuana is less addictive than alcohol
* Weed can increase your heart rate which may increase the risk of heart failure whilst moderate alcohol consumption may reduce heart rate, however there are no reported cases of cardiac arrest directly related to weed
* Alcohol is related to several types of cancer whilst weed is not
* Both drugs are linked with risks in driving but alcohol is worse
* Several studies link alcohol with violence, especially domestic violence, but weed is not
* Both alcohol and weed are linked to potential mental health problems - depression and anxiety for alcohol users, schizophrenia and psychosis for weed users
* Overall, neither drug is good for you but the risk of problems are greater with alcohol.

When you add the economic and control angle it does seem on balance that if alcohol is legal so too should weed be, however the booze industry is so powerful - and perceives weed as a competitor - that the Government is protecting them.

6Legalise it? Empty Re: Legalise it? Tue Jun 19 2018, 16:20

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

wanderlust wrote:
xmiles wrote:
okocha wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

It is tragic Okocha and I have a son who has mental health problems that are likely to have been activated by weed, but there are massive differences in the chemical make up of people and so statistically some people will be damaged by taking on board almost any substance. 
The Government may be protective of the alcohol industry because of the income and the strength of the alcohol lobby but a clearer example of double standards is hard to come by, especially when every scientific report on the matter confirms that cannabis is substantially less damaging than alcohol.
This report concludes:
* 30k deaths directly from alcohol in the USA in one year v Zero deaths from weed. That figure excludes alcohol-related accidents and homicides.
* Marijuana is less addictive than alcohol
* Weed can increase your heart rate which may increase the risk of heart failure whilst moderate alcohol consumption may reduce heart rate, however there are no reported cases of cardiac arrest directly related to weed
* Alcohol is related to several types of cancer whilst weed is not
* Both drugs are linked with risks in driving but alcohol is worse
* Several studies link alcohol with violence, especially domestic violence, but weed is not
* Both alcohol and weed are linked to potential mental health problems - depression and anxiety for alcohol users, schizophrenia and psychosis for weed users
* Overall, neither drug is good for you but the risk of problems are greater with alcohol.

When you add the economic and control angle it does seem on balance that if alcohol is legal so too should weed be, however the booze industry is so powerful - and perceives weed as a competitor - that the Government is protecting them.

To add to that list, look at the impact of alcohol on crime: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwikzdn2guDbAhVhJsAKHZIzAwkQFghCMAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.alcoholrehabguide.org%2Falcohol%2Fcrimes%2F&usg=AOvVaw2REcuYwjYIdwNKke_8QzhA

7Legalise it? Empty Re: Legalise it? Wed Jun 20 2018, 20:42

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

It’s always you. Bore the fuck off

8Legalise it? Empty Re: Legalise it? Wed Jun 20 2018, 20:54

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:
okocha wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

It’s always you. Bore the fuck off
Wow! Not sure where that has come from Boggers! Shocked

9Legalise it? Empty Re: Legalise it? Thu Jun 21 2018, 21:28

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Boggers:- I genuinely hope that neither you, nor anyone close to you, ever suffers from a distressing mental illness. I presume you have someone you really care about.

I'm also really sorry that you carry such irrational, self-destructive enmity inside you. Seek some counselling. I would offer you therapy myself, but I doubt that you'd be receptive.

10Legalise it? Empty Re: Legalise it? Thu Jun 21 2018, 21:34

My understanding is that psychosis is a known affect of cannabis if: abused for a long period of time or it can exacerbate any underlying or existing mental issue a user may have.

I’ve seen psychosis in family friends (not cannabis related), so I do sympathise Okocha - but one dabbling of cannabis alone simply would not be the cause of this.

11Legalise it? Empty Re: Legalise it? Thu Jun 21 2018, 21:37

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:Boggers:- I genuinely hope that neither you, nor anyone close to you, ever suffers from a distressing mental illness. I presume you have someone you really care about.

I'm also really sorry that you carry such irrational, self-destructive enmity inside you. Seek some counselling. I would offer you therapy myself, but I doubt that you'd be receptive.

You need to get off your high horse, you’re so PC and judgemental it knocks me sick.

I doubt a bit of cannabis is the main reason for mental illness, it’s more likely that those people are already pre disposed to mental illness.

12Legalise it? Empty Re: Legalise it? Thu Jun 21 2018, 21:57

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I reckon legalising it will ensure safety and purity...and 70% tax for the gubbment.

13Legalise it? Empty Re: Legalise it? Thu Jun 21 2018, 23:09

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

okocha do you think alcohol should be made illegal?

14Legalise it? Empty Re: Legalise it? Tue Jul 02 2019, 10:47

cesiciginu

David Ngog
David Ngog

Cannabinoids are naturally produced in the body and they are important for homeostasis. 
Their absence from the body seriously affects our health and mood!
That is why lots of people are happy to have it at home. 
I am traveling a lot and only with my CBD oil in my car / in case of pain or sleepless nights/
For me, it is a remedy!
https://formulaswiss.com/blogs/cbd/cbd-oil-and-the-human-body

There is a big difference if you just wanna get some fun or get high!!! alien

15Legalise it? Empty Re: Legalise it? Tue Jul 02 2019, 12:25

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

cesiciginu wrote:Cannabinoids are naturally produced in the body and they are important for homeostasis. 
Their absence from the body seriously affects our health and mood!
That is why lots of people are happy to have it at home. 
I am traveling a lot and only with my CBD oil in my car / in case of pain or sleepless nights/
For me, it is a remedy!
https://formulaswiss.com/blogs/cbd/cbd-oil-and-the-human-body

There is a big difference if you just wanna get some fun or get high!!! alien
Bloody hippy  Laughing

Welcome to Nuts cesiciginu! Strange name, what does it mean? 
I think we could all do with some of this on here for when it gets heated.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum